Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
raised bed fruit trees and berries?

Posted by amandasmith911 6 INDIANA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 31, 06 at 1:48

i want to plant black berries, raspberries and some dwarf fruit trees. my land is too "wet" to do so , so i thought a raised bed would help with drainage. i will build them this fall and plant next spring.

do you think old rear tractor tires painted white (with the botton left open) be large enough for drarf fruit trees?

what about balckberries and raspberries? would regular vehicle tires be big enough? if not, how big should the raised beds be?

i like the tries because they are free!

thanks, amanda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: raised bed fruit trees and berries?

Raspberries are likely to create runners and pop up outside the box. I did a slightly raised bed of compost, peat moss and clay and they are growing like crazy this first year. As for drawf fruit trees, afaik, the drawf part is the height potential of the root stock, not the root system. I think your proposed bed would be too small, but you are correct it would help with drainage.

I would be interested in what others think, and maybe could comment on having the roots of a tree higher up more exposed to frost...

o

so how large of a raised bed would i need for a dwarf fruit tree?

o

Wow, this is purely a guess, you might want to post this in the fruit forum here.

From this they say to use a 18" hole.

The roots of trees will grow many times the height of the tree, so it won't be contained in your sqft anymore.

Is it possible that you can plant this tree on a slope so that there isn't standing water? That might help. I would think that if you made a large hole, used a 50% original soil/50% peat, you would have a good draining hole which is not so great that the tree's roots will circle around the hole.

Let us know what you decide on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here