Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's your favorite absolutely fresh garden veggie?

Posted by oasis_226 z7b Atlanta GA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 08 at 2:02

I was just wondering what everyone's favorite fresh veggie from their garden was. Last night, as I was cooking dinner for the 4th, I waited til the last moment to go out and pick some squash, basil, and tomatoes for dinner. I mean, everything else was done, and I'm delaying dinner an extra 5 minutes so that the squash on the table can be it's absolute freshest. Is it really that much better than the stuff a week old at the store? I'd say yes obviously.

I'd have to say my fresh favorites are tomatoes (freshness matters, though this also has much to do with varieties I think) and corn, for which you should have the grill hot or the water boiling before you even head out to pick it. I also love the fresh herbs.

What are your favorites for 10 minutes from the garden to the table?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's your favorite absolutely fresh garden veggie?

Thats like asking which is my favorite child. I love them all the same. That goes for vegies from the garden as well.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

o

Hands down, tomatoes. Except for a few sauce tomatoes, I only grow cherries--12 different varieties this year. If they manage to make it out of the garden (one for the bowl, two for me...) there's nothing quite like a salad of rainbow colored cherry tomatoes with a light vinaigrette and some fresh basil.

o

I expect my answers will be corn and tomatoes as well, but alas, I haven't harvested those yet, and am a long way off at that.

So far I'd say the lettuce mix and peas. They kick the tale of their store-bought counterparts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure!

o

Has to be peas. Had my first harvest of sugar snap peas of the season last night. Wow! Can't beat that taste.

Ready to be picked...

Garden_002

Ready to be eaten :-)

Garden_001

o

cukes and basil

o

I HATE canned green beans, but am loving the ones I pick from my garden and steam for just a few minutes. Yum! Strangely enough, I haven't convinced the canned green bean eater here to try the ones I've grown yet...so I get the fresh ones all to myself! :)

o

Well, since I've never grown alot of things until this year, I can only say tomatoes.....but that may change when I get to try some homegrown broccoli this fall. I've heard it's fantastic!

EG

o

• Posted by bdobs 8b or 9 SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 12:58

TOMATOES

o

Tomatoes, basil and cilantro. Yum-mie!

o

Peas seem to be the most different between garden and supermarket. I remember when I was growing up there was always a distinction made between plain old "peas" and "garden peas" as if the latter was a whole different ballgame. As an adult, I know that it's because the natural sugars break down into starches quickly once the pod is separated from the vine. Yup, peas get my vote.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here