Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
June Bearing Strawberries and Shade

Posted by kellynola 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 18, 09 at 9:57

I have a SFG bed that gets only partial sun in the winter and early spring but full sun in the summer and fall. I have a hard time growing things in it during the winter months and was wondering if it might be a good spot for June bearing strawberries.

Do the plants need full sun year round or is it only important when they are flowering?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: June Bearing Strawberries and Shade

You might ask on the fruits forum if you don't get an answer here. This year is my first for strawberries, so I'm no help...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

o

Thanks greenbean, I'll post over there.

o

i have some in the sun and pt shade and they do just fine, as long as you have bee's your good to go :') ~medo

o

Thanks medo. I needed a bit of encouragement as they will be in that spot for the next three years or so :)

o

sure!! i know how that is!! :') **big smile** if ya have a lack of bee's, just grow a patch of clovers, and beleive me, they'll come!! (just grow them in a container if ya don't want them all over LOL) ~medo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here