Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is squishing the cucumber beetle enough to save veggies?

Posted by istheremeaning 5 CT (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 10:59

I noticed a few little nibbles from the leaves of my pumpkins, melons, squash, zucchini and cucumbers a few days ago. It was nothing major I could not find anything hanging around munching so i figured no big deal. However last night I went out to inspect with a flashlight and discovered a cucumber beetle mating festival in full swing. I squished as many as I could find... kinda gross but it needed to be done. I think I read that they lay eggs 10 days after mating so I am hoping I might have prevented the egg laying so far. I would like to know when I should conduct my squishing hunt for them. I found some in blossoms this morning to. Do I squish morning and night or all day long? Will I need to do this for the rest of the season or just for a little while? If the squishing will not be enough I read some of the posts on here about the little traps but most people who said they were off to try them and that they would report back did not. If you used the trap cup method let me know if you thought it was useful. I made some of the garlic spray a few weeks ago and that took care of the aphids really well I haven't had to use it since. Does anyone know if the garlic spray works for these little stripped monsters?
Thanks guys for taking the time to read and answer my questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: my square foot garden blog it has my garden layout and pictures comments are welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is squishing the cucumber beetle enough to save veggies?

Good for you! Isn't it amazing what is out there at night? I can't help you with the various methods, as I only rely on NEEM and hand picking/squashing.

o

I think if you look at the back of the leave you can find clusters of eggs. It may be more efficient to remove these eggs before they hatch. I have used tape to stick on eggs & pull off the leaves. Most any tape will do, duct, or masking tape. You can do this to reduce the numbers greatly.

HTH,
Gumby_CT

o

Well I did not find any eggs anywhere..... so I am crossing my fingers!
I went out several times and squished any I found. This morning i found only 6 bugs in the flowers of the pumpkins. I sprayed the garlic, cayenne, oil, soap and water spray several times yesterday.... it rained on and off through out the day and night. I only caught 3 of them last night. I am hoping that I made it through yet another pest invasion.
How long do I have to worry about the cucumber beetles?

Here is a link that might be useful: My square foot garden blog it has my garden layout and pictures comments are welcome!

o

Those danged things wiped out all of my cuke plants last year, so now I've whipped out the Rotenone. I am determined to get some cukes this year.

As for how long they'll hang around - I think that I read until October somewhere around here...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here