Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
istheremeaning

Is squishing the cucumber beetle enough to save veggies?

istheremeaning
15 years ago

I noticed a few little nibbles from the leaves of my pumpkins, melons, squash, zucchini and cucumbers a few days ago. It was nothing major I could not find anything hanging around munching so i figured no big deal. However last night I went out to inspect with a flashlight and discovered a cucumber beetle mating festival in full swing. I squished as many as I could find... kinda gross but it needed to be done. I think I read that they lay eggs 10 days after mating so I am hoping I might have prevented the egg laying so far. I would like to know when I should conduct my squishing hunt for them. I found some in blossoms this morning to. Do I squish morning and night or all day long? Will I need to do this for the rest of the season or just for a little while? If the squishing will not be enough I read some of the posts on here about the little traps but most people who said they were off to try them and that they would report back did not. If you used the trap cup method let me know if you thought it was useful. I made some of the garlic spray a few weeks ago and that took care of the aphids really well I haven't had to use it since. Does anyone know if the garlic spray works for these little stripped monsters?

Thanks guys for taking the time to read and answer my questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: my square foot garden blog it has my garden layout and pictures comments are welcome!

Comments (4)

Sponsored