Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imkaydee_gw

rooftop SFG

imkaydee
15 years ago

I have been an avid SFG for many years now. My first gardens were very large, because I had plenty of space to grow. Now, I live in an apartment with no yard at all. So, I spent the winter trying to devise a plan.

My kitchen windows overlook a large, sunny, roof top for the business below my apartment. I spoke with the landlord and explained my idea for a very lightweight, well draining, rooftop garden. THANKFULLY, she approved it!!!

I used several different types of containers - some storage bins, utility bins, and some large pots. I drilled holes a few inches apart about 2-3 inches from the bottom on all sides of the bins. I filled the bottom of the containers with a few inches of lava rock, because it is very lightweight. I made my own soil mix using composted manure, peat, humus and vermiculite.

I am growing cucumbers and just picked 2 nice large ones today! I have several varieties of tomatoes, yellow squash, eggplant, brussel sprouts, mesculin salad mix, butter crunch lettuce, spinach, strawberries, habenero peppers, sweet yellow peppers, basil, cilantro, parsley, rosemary, chives, and a few edible flowers for beautiful garden color and salads.

It is working out wonderfully!!! The small resevoir at the bottom of the bins (below the drill holes) helps retain some moisture, compared to the usual bottom holes in most containers. They drain well, even during the many heavy rains we received this year.

This garden has been so easy to care for!!! Not much weeding at all and watering just 1 - 2 times per week. A great benefit of rooftop gardening is - no animals are invading!!!

At first, I really missed having a yard for my garden, now I love my rooftop and it is sooo beautiful!! I hope to get some photos to share with you soon.

Comments (3)

Sponsored