Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rooftop SFG

Posted by imkaydee (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 08 at 11:07

I have been an avid SFG for many years now. My first gardens were very large, because I had plenty of space to grow. Now, I live in an apartment with no yard at all. So, I spent the winter trying to devise a plan.

My kitchen windows overlook a large, sunny, roof top for the business below my apartment. I spoke with the landlord and explained my idea for a very lightweight, well draining, rooftop garden. THANKFULLY, she approved it!!!

I used several different types of containers - some storage bins, utility bins, and some large pots. I drilled holes a few inches apart about 2-3 inches from the bottom on all sides of the bins. I filled the bottom of the containers with a few inches of lava rock, because it is very lightweight. I made my own soil mix using composted manure, peat, humus and vermiculite.

I am growing cucumbers and just picked 2 nice large ones today! I have several varieties of tomatoes, yellow squash, eggplant, brussel sprouts, mesculin salad mix, butter crunch lettuce, spinach, strawberries, habenero peppers, sweet yellow peppers, basil, cilantro, parsley, rosemary, chives, and a few edible flowers for beautiful garden color and salads.

It is working out wonderfully!!! The small resevoir at the bottom of the bins (below the drill holes) helps retain some moisture, compared to the usual bottom holes in most containers. They drain well, even during the many heavy rains we received this year.

This garden has been so easy to care for!!! Not much weeding at all and watering just 1 - 2 times per week. A great benefit of rooftop gardening is - no animals are invading!!!

At first, I really missed having a yard for my garden, now I love my rooftop and it is sooo beautiful!! I hope to get some photos to share with you soon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rooftop SFG

It's great you can stil garden! I can't wait to see the pics of your garden and a view from your kitchen window. What a great idea! Hope you get good production and have fun doing it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure!

o

Hooray for the landlord! And hooray for you....can't wait to see the pics!

o

That would definitely make it difficult for the deer, and other critters to get to it. Please share your pics with us when you get them. I can't wait.

EG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here