Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are my Jalapeno peppers ready to harvest?

Posted by jengc 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 14, 09 at 11:17

Jalapeno pepper

I am having a bring fart on how to put it in the message.

Are these ready? I have no idea since I have never liked them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen's Victory Garden Blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are my Jalapeno peppers ready to harvest?

It depends on how you like them. They seem to be turning color. If you want them green, like your standard jalapeno, you need to pick them. If you want a slightly different edge to them, you can wait until they completely turn red.

o

I dont like them any way. I heard that Cayenne peppers deter mice. I couldnt find Cayenne pepper plants so I bought these. I have since found a pepper plant. heheh

o

Yeah, I honestly don't care for them either....that's why I have six plants. What was I thinking!? Actually, I've used some in a homemade salsa and then I used two tonight in a taco bake. I just chop them realllllllly fine and I don't notice them much.

o

I am glad I am not the ONLY fruitcake gardener! LOL I didnt think about salsa. I will chop them up minuscule lol

o

I'm not real fond of them either, but I do use them in Mexican dishes, salsa, pico de gallo, and quesadillas. DH can't tolerate too much "kick", so I make sure to pull out the seeds and the white part before slicing and dicing.

o

Those look a little small. Depending on how you want to eat them, look for at least one of the following:

corking
turning red
3" minimum size

Not that eating them green and slightly small is a terrible thing.

o

I generally pick them green about 3 inches in length. I chop them raw with tomatoes, cilantro, onions, salt and pepper for salsa or grill them to make a salsa with tomatillos. I also stir fry them in Chinese dishes to add some spice. This year has been a terrific year for Jalapenos.

o

They do look a little small, but I think the only thing that may change is the heat level...

My Fresno chili's are a little small but still taste awesome. I love grilling them and topping on whatever sounds good--but then again, we like it spicy...

In addition to what stephanieftx said, if you want to reduce the heat, after you trim them you can try cooking them in the oven on 350 for 5-10min (depending on how soft you want them).

I love jap. poppers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening With Care

o
cooking jalapeno popper correction

Oops, I meant "jalap." poppers, and cooking them at 300, not 350. Can I blame it on the wine I don't normally drink????

o

Thanks for the advice! I already picked them. I LOVE picking stuff so I thought "WOOHOO! I can pick them!" And did. But I did find some others last night and they were bigger, plumpier. I am sending them to a friend in OK (if I can ever get them in a box to ship!)

Thanks. I might try my luck of something mexican with no "innards" (all the southern gardeners will understand what that is LOL)

Oh and my other pepper plant (one that I pictured earlier) produced a VERY small pepper...like 1/8 of an inch...and is red! I have another one that size that is dark green, but they all seem to be dark green. I didnt know what was going on. There is a pepper plant that is right in front of it and it doesnt seem to be having problems. I just wondered if someone might know why it did that.

o

I think its not yet ready to harvest. Maybe you should wait at least 5 to 10 days. But it will also depend on your preference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here