Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't put your sfg in the front yard!

Posted by erin4 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 11:51

http://www.theagitator.com/2011/07/07/does-michelle-obama-know-about-this/

Always wondered about this. Our front yard gets lots of sun, and I've considered putting boxes out there. Anyone here have a front yard sfg?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't put your sfg in the front yard!

Yep! I have (6) 4 X 8 foot beds in front but I'm 100' from the road.

o

Sure do- it's my first year doing it and have two 4x4 beds in my front/side yard next to the driveway. At some point in the near future, I will be at least doubling it, all the way up to the r.o.w. line. My family as enjoyed watching the watermelons, tomoatoes, and peppers grow, as do my neighbors that walk up and down our street.

Of course, it helps that I live in the "Go-Green" capital of the world.

o

I don't as my back yard gets the southern exposure here. However, my brother has a front yard southern exposure and thus has several "neighbor" beds. He loves them because folks stop by to talk all the time and he gets to chat about gardening, self sufficiency and the like. He's brought several folks over to the dark side that way, hehe. Good luck and enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden

o

I have enjoyed watching this guys videos on youtube. He turned his whole front yard into raised bed gardens. Check him out on youtube...search for growingyourgreens.

Here is a link the video where he comments on this story about this poor lady who may go to jail for her garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow a Front Yard Vegetable Garden and Go To Jail. The Plight of Julie Bass Oak Park, MI

o

Good news! Charges were dropped.

o

Paula - Thank goodness! I couldn't imagine this really going to trial!

o

In the Oak Park case it went nationwide (sometimes world-wide) with a petition online which got thousands of signatures.

Interesting to note that many large cities including Seattle encourage urban gardens; supporting those who wish to 'farm' inside the city.

o

Just saw a newsclip saying she's moving on account of her husband got a job in another state.

On a personal note: checked with our city codes and they don't have any problem with front yard veggie gardens, so I'm planning one for next year!

o

Excellent news!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here