Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denewbie

Should I cover my new beds if I'm going away for the weekend?

denewbie
13 years ago

Hi, I'm new to SFG and I just got my beds finally made and seeds planted. I've been following Mel's instructions as accurately as possible but I'm a little concerned about my mix being too dry. I've tried misting them heavily and also hand watering them with a cup at night but by morning they are back to being very, very dry. I used 1/3 peat, 1/3 coarse vermiculite, and 1/3 compost mix of 2 kinds of manure, leaf compost and

mushroom compost. I've also added the recommended lime and fertilizer. I've read that this dryness is a pretty common problem, and I don't mind if I have to water it more. I will, however, be leaving early Saturday morning and not coming home until Sunday evening. I was thinking about giving them a good watering before I leave Saturday and then covering the entire beds with clear 3ml plastic, which I've already bought a roll of. Would this help keep the air from drying out my soil, or would it trap too much heat in the beds? Should I poke holes in it? The weather were having here has been 85-90, very sunny and pretty humid. I also worry that a heavy rain could flood my seeds out of their holes as too much water seems to just pool on the top of the soil and run off instead of being absorbed. I have some grass clippings and also a large bag of black bark mulch I could use to put on the beds. But I'm not sure if that would be the best preventative measure either as they are already having such a hard time getting water. I also worry about the birds that live in my little birdhouse next to my beds, as they seem to be lurking around more since I put the beds in (could be my paranoia!) Will they eat my seeds? That may be more reason to cover with plastic while I'm gone? Any suggestions/input would be much appreciative. I'm new to gardening

altogether, I need as much help as I can get at this point. Thanks for reading this long post!

Dani

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz