Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have experience with drip irrigation packages?

Posted by momma_s 9b, SZ14 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 12:03

I saw this kit at the store the other day, and was wondering if it'd be a good starter kit for me... I only need to water a 2'x8' bed that's close to the water spigot. There's also one by the "For Dummies" line.

http://www.amazon.com/Raindrip-R567DT-Drip-Vegetable-Garden/dp/B0000DI83M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1246895910&sr=8-2

Also, if I don't use a kit, can anyone point me to where I can learn what things I need? An online list, or book?

TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: Drip system kit

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have experience with drip irrigation packages?

Momma s,

I have nothing against your kit per se, but my advise, if at all possible, is to buy something locally, rather than mail order. This is one of those things that you will find you need just one more T connecter or one more end plug, and then, rather than having to mail order again, you can just run down to the store. I found mine at Lowes - they had a fairly good selection.

Good luck. You'll do great, they aren't that hard. Just a big puzzle to put together.

o

I agree. It may be a little more expensive but you can customize it better, and you have a better return option. I made my own sprinkler system for 2-4x4 boxes for about $20. Check it out at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: CajunKorner

o

I use the raindrip system in my garden. I love it. As the others have mentioned though, even if you do decide on this system, it's best to find a local store that carries parts. You will find that your setup is not what you originally imagined and will need an extra elbow or tubing. If nobody carries this around you, I've purchased parts from dripdepot.com before. Prices were reasonable.

o

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I saw the raindrip system in the store, but didn't check to see if they carried additional parts... I'll do that before buying it.

I was hoping for a kit of some sort over buying the individual pieces, because all of those pieces sitting on their shelves makes installing a drip system look like a quite a daunting task to me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening With Care

o

I've been watching this thread as I wondering about a drip irrigation system for my own garden.

I agree Momma_S that all those pieces seem daunting.

I think I will keep this project planning for next winter :)

Rachel
GrafixMuse's Garden Spot

o

One thing nice about the kit is that there is a manual that comes with it that shows some different setups and has recommendations for tube diameter, etc. If you can find the manual online, I would skip the kit, read the manual, and then plan out and buy individual pieces. Otherwise, it might be worthwhile to purchase a kit to get yourself started.

o
Here's the manual

Here you go. I found the included manual for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raindrip manual

o

Great idea, mcphreak! Thanks for providing the link for the manual. It's *exactly* what I need. YAY!

Rachel~ Take a look at this! Maybe you won't need to wait so long after all... ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening With Care

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here