Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
travelsfo

Safe insecticide: Olive Oil, Dish Soap, Water

travelsfo
14 years ago

I'm going to try a safe insecticide first before going to any extremes. I just mixed up some olive oil, dish soap and water in a spray bottle and will try it tonight.

I had a case of mealybugs on my broccoli .. on one plant they were thickly encrusted on the stem! My poor broccoli! Anyway, I tried a 50/50 mix of 70% Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and water liberally sprayed directly on the crusting. It didn't seem to help.

I'll let you know what happens with the oil/soap/water mix.

Comments (14)

• c_penton
    14 years ago

Copied from mysquarefootgarden.net

Although square foot gardening reduces 99% of weeding, it doesnÂt control all those pesky pests and diseases. While I am personally not averse to occasional use of chemical pesticides and fertilizers, I always try an organic method first.

Fertilizer

In his book, Mel talks about the necessity of using multiple kinds of compost or better yet, making your own! If you spend the money on good compost, you reduce the need to add extra fertilizer at all. By mixing and matching different compost you create a nutrient rich environment for your plants. Since you add compost every time you plant, you donÂt even have to worry much about rotating where certain plants are grown. If you have been cheap about it, and only used one type of compost, you may need to supplement with fertilizer.

My cousin introduced me to the books by Jerry Baker. I will say, they arenÂt well organized, but they contain mountains of organic solutions to gardening problems. For example, here is his recipe to promote growth of tomatoes and melons:

Energizing Earthworm Elixir
    2.5 pounds earthworm castings
    1/4 pound Epsom salts
    2 tablespoons instant tea

Combine and put 1 cup under each transplanted tomato or melon before planting.

Pests
    I have personally struggled with cabbage worms, spider mites, and aphids. Here are a few solutions to these common problems:

Spider Mite Fighter
    1/2 cup wheat flour
    1 tablespoon buttermilk
    2 quarts water

Combine and apply with a spray bottle. This suffocates the spider mites.

Cabbage Worm Killer
    1/2 cup flour
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Combine and sprinkle on cabbage. After they eat it, the flour expands and kills the worms.

To fight aphids, I plant a little basil nearby. I have 10 times less aphids on my lettuce when I do this.

Disease
    There is nothing more frustrating than watching your plants suffer and die from disease. Even though I live in an arid climate with almost no humidity, my zucchini and squash always suffer from powdery mildew. I think itÂs because the leaves get watered by the irrigation from the lawn and nearby park. This concoction works, but you have to be regular and diligent about applying it.

Powdery Mildew Manager
    2 quarts water
    1 tablespoon MurphyÂs Oil Soap
    2 tablespoons baking soda

Combine and apply with a spray bottle. Catch it early or you might need to resort to stronger chemical methods.

These are just a few of the many many "recipes" found in the book. If you are interested in chemical-free gardening, I highly recommend purchasing it!

Happy gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: cajunkorner

• jengc
    14 years ago

I have seen some kind of crusty something near the base of my hanging tomato plant. I figured that since my tomatoes are doing splendidly, I wouldn't worry about it and it might just be from the upside down thing. I will try to get a pic of it tomorrow, but I am not promising anything LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen's Victory Garden Blog

• crystabel
    14 years ago

Be careful with that soap/oil/water mix. I tried it last year and didn't put in enough water - it killed the two squash plants that I sprayed it on overnight.

• travelsfo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My solution is about 5% oil, 1% dish soap and the rest is water. The oil and soap have risen to the top of the bottle so I realize I will need to shake before using.

I just checked the broccoli plants and see that the mealybugs are still there and happy as can be. I will set out to destroy them tonight...

• travelsfo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THEY ARE DEAD! It worked!

I sprayed them earlier this evening and went out to check about one hour later. Mealybugs that were hit with the spray are dead!

Olive oil, dish soap and water folks.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Olive oil, dish soap and water folks.

Yes. Many recipes can be found on this board. Do not spray plants during the heat of the day.

Dan

• shawnann
    14 years ago

I was just going to ask when the best time to spray with these homemade remedies would be... I figured not in the heat of the day but does it matter if it is morning or evening?
    Thanks for sharing your recipes!!! I need to try the powdery mildew one and the cabbage looper one!

My Garden Blog

• azee_2009
    14 years ago

Hi travelsfo,
    To give a try i have sprayed mealy bugs with
    5 ml Italian Olive oil
    1 ml dish washing soap
    94 ml water
    But all in vein.
    Even after 12 hours.
    Any comments please.

• MiGoddess_aol_com
    12 years ago

I alternate between Murphy�s Oil Soap and Dawn mixed with olive oil, lemon juice and cayenne pepper. It is my catch all spray specific issues I adjust. I dont care to use pesticides because while i don't want cockroaches, ants, ampids and spiders I do want my skinks, anoles, and frogs/toads to live happily in my garden. Not to mention if there is run off into my koi pond I have less worries.

• rain1950
    12 years ago

If you grow herbs; you can try companion plantings that will deter the bugs from setting up shop. One of my favorites is Nasturtiums; which also are quite tasty. Here is a link for companion planting

Here is a link that might be useful: Companion Planting

• xiaobao12
    9 years ago

azee, did you have any luck?

• Kelly Lynch
    9 years ago

chrishashtags_gw, what brand do you use? I'm looking on Amazon, but don't see many orange peel oils, the search brings up a lot of other citrus oils. Thanks for your help

• Chris
    9 years ago
    Kelly, I just looked it up. It's called Nature's Wisdom Orange Oil Concentrate. It's a little pricey but goes a long way.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0012YEKAE