Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
engineeredgarden

need source for buying netting to sling melons

engineeredgarden
15 years ago

I was wondering if anyone had a good source for buying small mesh netting for slinging my melons that i'm growing vertically. I went to my local wally world - and didn't see anything. I have no problem ordering some from an online source - if I could find a good one. Could somebody help me find one? Thanks

EG

Comments (42)

• socalgirl-10
    15 years ago

Try knee high panty hose or tights. Just get the Queen size so they go over.

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

Yes, just march up to the wife, tear them clean off her hide, and attach them to the trellis.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I was thinking about the pantyhose thing - and actually looked at them for a few minutes today at wally world. I hope nobody there thought I was a cross-dresser, or anything! Anyway, i've never seen any pictures on here on how people sling theirs with them, and was thinking about netting instead (because netting would be easy to do). I have no problem using either one, but would love to see somebody's pics of theirs in action. The heaviest thing i'll be slinging is sugar baby melons - about 8 lbs. Here's one of the little fellas that needs a lift. Thanks

EG

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's GONNA need a lift in a few weeks! He wants to hang around with his friends at a later time, but doesn't have a ride yet!

EG

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

You could use an onion bag and just tie the ends to your trellis, hammock style. I had pics of Gonefishin's setup, but alas, they are no longer available.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah....I wish he was still with us. The onion bag is a good idea, but me and my wife don't buy bags of onions or fruit - just individually. Thanks Holly.

EG

• cynthia_h
    15 years ago

Maybe if you ask on your local FreeCycle group, someone will have used pantyhose that they've "saved" for years but didn't know what to do with...

Go to www.freecycle.org and find a group near you. They're organized by county, city, neighborhood--it just depends on how the individual group has evolved. The only worldwide rule on FreeCycle is "it must be free--no money involved." I gave away two bags of used pantyhose in response to a "WANTED" on FreeCycle, but kept one for myself. I had originally received all three bags from an office-worker friend a while back who had a dress code to follow.

in el cerrito

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, cynthia - I think I will do just that.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

And EG, don't worry about buying pantyhose, my wife ALWAYS makes me run to the store last minute to buy a pair because she's run hers as we are about to go out someplace special. Just stand there with a piece of scrap paper in your hand looking confused. I've even had women come up and ask if I needed help finding the right size. It's hillarious!

I'm doing mellons and I will definitely make use of some of her old runned nylons. Great idea!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sinfonian, I know exactly what you are talking about. I've got my wife involved now....I told her that I looked at the cheapos for $1 at wally world, and asked her if she thought they would hold 8 lbs without tearing. She just laughed, and said they would. So, I guess that's the route i'm gonna go. I just don't know if you're supposed to slide them over the end of the melon(Just like putting a pair on a set of legs) - or just let them cradle the melon like a baby. Does anybody know?

EG

• oasis_226
    15 years ago

EG,

If you don't mind sacrificing one for science ... why not see if one of those sugar babies will survive unslung. I haven't slung anything (so far) and I've got huge butternut squash and cantaloupe the size of softballs. The stems just seem to understand they need to be stronger. Granted, my sugar babies and large watermelons are on the ground, so I can't speak for them, just a general observation.

Of course, I probably just jinxed myself. It's rained for two days now, so in the morning I'll probably go out and find a ton of waterlogged butternut squash and cantaloupes on the ground. Don't know how Alabama is doing, but it's "Extreme Stage 4 drought" here, and 2+ inches of rain are surely welcome. Worth having to stay out of the garden for the weekend. I'll probably have a basket of foot-long crooknecks and zucchini out there by Monday though.

And, if you don't mind ... what is your name EG?

David Anderson

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

I cradled mine like a baby.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Holly - ok, i'll try doing them that way. It makes sense now, the stem might or might not hold it without breaking- I guess if the melon was cradled, it would take the stress off of them stem, and provide some insurance against falling. Thanks

David - What I may do, is sling one kinda loose, and keep adjusting it as it grows bigger- always making sure that it is kept loose, and see what happens. Also, I don't mind sharing my name at all. It is Jeff Vandiver ( with the "i" Pronounced like in the word "spit"), and I live in Russellville, Alabama. The same hometown that Bassmaster Pro Timmy Horton is from.(we went to high school together)

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I totally forgot to comment on the drought, David. We have been getting a pretty good rain about every 5 to 7 days, but are still behind from last year. I use 2 olive barrels to store rainwater, that gets used on the garden. So far, i've managed to keep at least 1 full at all times, because as I use all that is in the first one- it will rain, and I am able to fill it up again. Not a bad setup, for only $60.
    EG

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

EG, can you please post a pic of your rain barrels? I've been looking into getting some, but the city wants to hose me $50.00 apiece. I did call around looking for olive barrels (even called a few nurseries but nobody knew what I was talking about) Sheesh.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok Holly - this is an olive barrel, that I added a spigot to. The barrels I got at my local county cooperative ( for $17.99 each, and the fittings you can get at the big box stores (for around $10 total). I can tell you how to make them, if you need.

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

Thanks - that's exactly what I'm looking for!

I wanted to rig them up to catch the water from the downspouts from the roof. The only problem I foresee is the one that will go out in the front of my townhouse. I'll have to balance it on a 14" W x 12"H retaining wall. (People around here are very protective of their property lines, and I share a front yard with my neighbor)

OMG, just got off the phone with our Co-Op out here. They have 1 in stock, 42 gallon capacity and they're asking 124.99.

Seriously considering ordering a few from the States and paying for shipping...

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

$125? That's ridiculous. Do you live in Canada, or something? As far as the balancing act, it'll be no problem at all. Just set it in place ontop of the existing wall, and use something to build up to it on about 3 sides. That'll keep it steady. I'll tell you something else - I save the condensate water that comes from the air conditoning units at my house. It's clean, perfectly useable water, and you'd be surprised at how much can be collected over a 24 hour period from a small drip. I estimate that the 3 units at my place (all central) produce at least 5 gallons per day, especially during the hot humid months.

EG

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

LOL - Yes, I'm up here in Canada. I guess the city's offer of $50.00 each wasn't so bad after all.

Great tip on the drip from the air conditioning units, never would have thought of that!

Thanks for all of your help, EG. I'm going to get my hands on a couple of barrels before I pick your brains any further!

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No problem Holly, i've got alot of brain left in this big melon sitting ontop of my shoulders. Feel free to ask for my help on anything. I like helping people.

EG

• squareftgardener
    15 years ago

EG
    I use bird netting purchased at the Wal-Mart to cradle my watermelons & cantaloupe. I just figure what size I need, cut to fit, and tie it to my trellis. I didn't use it on some of my cantaloupe last year and they busted when they hit the ground. The netting can be used again the next year.

I have two of the 55 gal blue barrels and a 275 gal water tote that I use for collecting water. I did learn that a ball valve is the best to use since a regular faucet restricts the water flow. My large tank is about 75 feet from the house and I get plenty of flow. Also I use a wand that doesn't have the squeeze handle shutoff that I took the wand off of and it works great.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squareftgardener - I thought about the bird netting, as well as some old cargo netting, that I used to keep stuff from blowing out of my truck with. I may use a little bit of pantyhose, a piece of cargo netting, as well as some bird netting and just see what I like the best. I need some bird netting anyway, because i've got muscadine grapes that are about to ripen, and i'll need something to keep the birds from getting them. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyway, at the end of this current season - I plan on posting pictures of the entire slinging process, complete with mature fruit dangling by the slings - so that others in the future will have the information.
    The rainwater is definitely the way to go. I would like to expand in size, but there's only so much that a person can put behind the house to hide- so it doesn't look like a mad scientist lives here! The valve size is no problem for me, because I let it drain into 1 or 3 gallon containers -then carry them to the garden. I watered yesterday, and it only took 12 gallons to "git-r-done". Plus, things generally happen pretty slow in Alabama - so, i'm not ever in a rush or anything. I don't mind the extra labor - i'm a big guy ( at 6'4", 230 lbs)- so, it's pretty easy for me to do.

EG

• krintis
    15 years ago

engineeredgarden- could you post a pic of your "muscadine grapes?"...hubby is thinking about planting some. Can't seem to figure out how to suppot them.
    Thanks!

"Krintis"

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sure, krintis - i'd be glad to. Let me get a good photo for you this evening, and i'll start a new thread for it.(In this forum)

EG

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I did this yesterday. I must admit that it felt kinda weird. I bet this little guy was out there all night, saying "look at me! look at me! I'm flying" "WEEEEEEE!!!!"

• socalgirl-10
    15 years ago

Awesome!! It is flying for sure.

• krintis
    15 years ago

Hey EG...
    Nice pic. did you cut the foot off the pantyhose and rip it down one side of leg?...just a thought...when your melon grows bigger it may need a little more room.

"Krintis"

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, krintis - I didn't do that. I'm thinking about cutting a slit in the side that is actually touching the melon, and opening the whole thing up (at that part), kinda like a bra cup. Does that make any sense?

EG

• krintis
    15 years ago

makes more sense now. Question?...what size cup...hehehe?

i was thinking about doing the same thing for my canteloupes. actually your idea is the same one my DH had...wow! (i guess great minds do think alike...lol).
    when my canteloupes get a little bigger, i will post a pic here.

thanks for you imput EG!

"Krintis"

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey krintis, it's about a size "c" now lol. Here it is

And here is a cantaloupe slung normal. I'm going to see which way is better.

• crystabel
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting those pics! Now I have a good visual on how to do that when the time comes.
    Thanks for the laughs too LOL.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're very welcome, crystabel

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

NICE MELONS!

(you're the second guy I've said that to this year!)

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG, Holly! That made me laugh. I'm afraid to ask about the other guy. I have a picture in my mind of a very large drunk guy at spring break - that just won the belly-flop contest...and then you walk up to him, and tell him "good splash, dude. Oh, and by the way....nice melons"..Lol

EG

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

Actually, it was Shot over on the Veg forum, he's got some nice melons too!

You DO have quite the imagination though! Hahahahaha!

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh yeah.....shot has some nice melons....i've seen them.. lol

EG

• blujen_gw Zone 6b Wichita KS
    15 years ago

I was looking for something for the same reason and found these mesh bags at the dollar store (they also sell them at walmart in the "car stuff" aisle, for you guys who don't want to be seen buying panty hose! They're the "tidy totes" and come 4 to a package, at the dollar store they were 2 packs for 3 bux, at wally world they were 2.50 each on sale from what I saw.
    http://blinkanditsdone.com/index_en.html

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Bluejen!

• nil13
    15 years ago

I sling big melons the way you have, but I am a little more frugal with the material. Also, I save the toes for smaller melons. Here in southern California I have to worry about sunburn and the thin layer of pantyhose works perfectly. I just slip them in the hose and tie the cut end to the trellis. The sling method also works well for large watermelons on steep hills. I drive two stakesinto the ground and tie the sling between them like a hammock for the melon. Lastly, I have used pantyhose just for sun protection on melons grown on flat ground. The hose can get pretty big and still stay strong.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nil - that's good stuff! I may have to try that on one of my melons. Thanks

EG

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

I'm resurecting this post. I saw it a few weeks ago, and today did a search on "panty" to find it! Not too many posts came up using that search word. I'll be growing melons this year and this is exactly what I need!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths