Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gweneddk

one box not growing at all!

gweneddk
14 years ago

This is my first year doing SFG. We prepared 2 boxes and put them in our backyard adjacent to our deck. Box #1 is on the south side and Box #2 is on the west side. Box #1 was prepared with municipal compost, manure compost from last year, mushroom compost, vermiculite and peat. Box #2 was the same except we used different brands of new manure compost and mushroom.

Box #1 is doing so-so; I planted from seed: lettuce, spinach, sugar snap peas and then onion sets. The spinach died and I only ever saw one pea pod on the peas but those seeds were from last year and we had some hot weather early on in the season. The lettuce is doing great when the rabbits aren't eating it, and the onions seem to be doing ok.

Box #2 is another story. I planted 1 roma tomato, sweet red peppers, jalepeno peppers, and various herbs, all from plants. and more onion sets. The onion sets sprouted and seem about the same relative size as the other box, but nothing else in that box has grown. Literally the plants are the same size as when I planted them 10 weeks ago. There is one tomato on my tomato plant, about 2 inches long and turning red. But the plant is only about 12 inches high and turned blackish-purple shortly after I planted it. Most of the herbs are still there but haven't gotten any larger than when I first planted them. I've tried more water, less water, and miracle grow a few weeks ago. So far no change. I have no idea what is wrong--if the plants were dying I could understand but it seems like they are still alive, just not growing. As far as I know they are getting enough sun; the only shade would be from the house/deck. The weather has been fairly cool and wet the last few weeks.

Does anyone have any ideas? Am I going to have to just scrap the whole box's worth of Mel's Mix?

Comments (4)

• medontdo
    14 years ago

don't scrap the mels mix idea, i wonder if its a nutrient problem?? ~Medo

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

How much sun ARE they getting?

• laxmom4x
    14 years ago

My tomatoes (yes, I know I am in a different zone and part of the country) cukes, and melons are easily 3 weeks behind schedule. They looked liked nothing for at least a month, and then just a bit more than nothing. In fact, my lettuce was doing soooo well until just last week (when the nights were finally above 70 degrees)and then of course those warm weather lovers took off. Things look more like they should now.

I guess what I am saying is, is your growing season messed up like ours here in the NE? Or, is it like Ribbit says, not enough sun. (Which was what happened to us basically when it rained almost every day in June) Or maybe you do have to add some fertilizer. I am adding fish emulsion once a month.

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

I,m with Ribbit. West side sounds like half a day to me .The one on the south sounds o. k.