Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Support

Posted by momma_s 9b, SZ14 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 11, 10 at 12:53

I have two melons that have hit puberty... When should I start giving them support? LOL...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Support

Here's a pic of one...
melon 7-11-10

o

Nobody answered you? I see by your blog that you have already begun to support them. I grew the Charantais type melons last year, and the vines were sturdy enough that no support was needed for the fruit. The problem I had with them was telling when they were ripe. They didn't slip from the vine like the melons I was used to. I missed the optimum harvest time on nearly every one of mine, and they either split or weren't ripe enough. The ones that were perfectly ripe were awesome.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o

Granny~ Yeah, I figured noone liked my crass sense of humor, and chose not to respond. hehehe

Funny, I forgot I posted this when I only thought I had 2 melons--I think about 15 minutes before I found 2 more! It's a good thing I supported them when I did, because they've almost tripled in size, also their shape has rounded out since supporting (vs oblong like in the above pic).

I read that Charentais don't slip from the vine, and it's recommended to cut a part of the vine off with the melon. I have no idea when I'll know when they're ready... Need to do reading on that again...

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening With Care

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here