Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrots in SFG Bed

Posted by kwilliam10 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 12:55

Hi all,

Another issue for any experts that have some time. As I indicated in my previous post...I am new to SFG'ng. I eagerly created two 4'x4' beds, and planted 3 squares of Bush Bean, two squares of different pumpkins (small pie pumpkins and the decorative small pumpkins), and two squares of short carrots. I followed some advice on this forum, and used a kitchen paper towel and flour/water paste to create seed mats. I created 4 mats total...but only laid two in my bed (the other two I plan/planned on setting this weeked). All this was done almost 3 weeks ago. Here are my beds:

Just after planting:
Square Foot Bed2

And last weekend:
SFG Bed - 1 week

SFG Bed - 2 weeks

The bush beans are doing fantastic. The pumpkins are doing great. BUT...no carrots yet. Nothing. No sprouts...nary a sign. Was I wrong to use the papertowel seed mat? Is it normal to take this long? The seed pouch said about 14 days. It is almost 21.

Thanks for any advice.

Keith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrots in SFG Bed

I tried carrots for the first time this year. I am positive I did some things incorrectly with them. (spacing, thinning them out etc) I used kleenex for my seed mat. What I can tell you is that mine took a really long time to germinate too. Not sure if it has to do with the seed mat, not enough moisture, the soil or what. They did eventually grow...though they didn't taste on par with what can be bought at the grocery store.

o

3 weeks for germination of carrots is not outside the realm of "normal". I've had that before. It's on the long side, but it's reasonable.

o

For most of us carrots are hard to start. Keep it up one square at a time you will get the hang of it.
try covering with a board next time If no board is used water the bed , like once or twice a day with a fine spry until carrots are a week ore two old . Marzy my carrots are just as good or better then store bought. And I like store bought

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here