Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall SFG

Posted by ournewhouseinla LA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 13:20

We had a small sfg for our 7 year old son. It was a great first time experience. Now it is time to take down the tomatoes and cucumbers.

Is there anything to plant now for the fall?

Or wait till next spring?
Thanks
Sweetie

This is a picture from the beginning.
http://photos1.walmart.com/walmart/slideshow/AlbumID=3350979001/PictureID=108405018001/a=6990428_6990428/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall SFG

Most definitely plant for the fall! What to plant? Anything that you grow early in spring usually works well in the fall, as well, in some cases, even better.

Root crops are a great option (generally these will be far sweeter after getting nipped by a light frost): carrots, rutabaga, parsnips, beets, etc.
Cole crops: cabbage, broccoli, etc.
Greens: spinach, lettuce, escarole, endive, etc.
Peas

Just some quick thoughts.

o

Thanks for being so quick.

To make sure we do it right, first we need to remove everything, mix up & add more soil, then plant.

Sweetie

o

The beauty of SFG is that you only have to take out the plants that are finished producing. If something is still producing well, you don't need to remove it. Just be careful removing the plants around it. Then, add more compost (and gently mix) to the squares you are replanting. There is no need to go crazy and remove everything and till it up or even add "soil". Just add some more organic material (maybe a little fertilizer as well), and then replant with the seeds/transplants of your choice.

If I were you I would OVERPLANT lettuce. Plant 16 to a square, and then pull the plants and eat them as they grow larger, and leave the four to grow to full-size.

X X O X

O X X X

X X X O

X O X X

The X's you plant and harvest as they get larger. The O's remain to full size. These can be a little close to the edges, so plant a little closer than a true 16 to a square spacing. The lettuce will be fine, and you'll get more salads from the same space, without having to try to harvest outer leaves as much.

o

• Posted by chudak 10 San Diego (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 21, 10 at 12:29

I'm in Zone 10 so we rarely ever get frost...just cool weather all winter (40's and 50's at night).

I regularly plant lettuce, spinach and other salad greens as well as beets, peas, kale and chard.

I've had horrible luck with cole crops--they get destroyed by aphids, especially the broccoli. If I try them again I'll have to be vigilent with the spraying.

I'll probably add some other root veggies this year as well (rutabegas, turnips, parsnips) since I have about 90 sq feet of raised beds to fill.

o

When you folks plant fall crops, do you direct seed, or start indoors like you would in spring? I'm thinking lettuce, spinach,carrots etc.......

o

thinks; No not inside no reason to. I start in pots way before a space is open or direct sow faster maturing crops. An empty square makes a great nursery,or just use the space around a growing plant for starting seedlings for transplanting

Curt

o

Thanks Curt!

o

• Posted by chudak 10 San Diego (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 13:48

I direct seed almost everything. Only things I buy (or start from seed) are tomatoes and peppers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here