Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socalgirl_10

Over run???

socalgirl-10
15 years ago

OK so my garden just looks over run with everything. It is just everywhere, everything, the only thing that looks neat at this point is the corn. It is almost ready to harvest. Is anyone else look like this or feel like this?? I do not think that my plants read mels book to stay in their own square!

Comments (27)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Is yours worse than mine?

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Everything grows until it can't physically grow any further in my garden. Things get unintentionally shaded out and leggy. Empty squares get filled by adjacent plants. Better planning is in order.

• jbest123
    15 years ago

Or how about this one???
    {{gwi:1280511}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Sinfonian - If I would have trellised the squash, mine would have been just right. Oh well, this is only my first year with this method, and raised bed.

John - still haven't tried the lattice yet?

EG

• socalgirl-10
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i needed more planning but mine is about in between your two! LOL, maybe it is just me but it just seems crazy, cannot even get to treat aphids or cut off dead leaves. I am just gonna let it grow at this point and be thankful it is growing.

• jbest123
    15 years ago

engineeredgarden, I am afraid I would do to much damage at this point. I will do the lattice next spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Heh, that's EXACTLY how my garden looks. My copy of sfg says to put one vining tomato per sf and one cabbage per sf. I have a whole bed of tomatoes so I can do some canning after the season really starts. They look like they're hugging each other at my place. I have a few cabbages I planted outside of the bed that are less than 6 inches tall, and the ones that are one per sf are nearly two feet tall (YIKES!). My production looks just fine (first year gardener, so what do I know?) and I have pulled around six weeds total this year. And the trellised pumpkins and zucchini are so beautiful that I wander the boxes just to gaze at them. It's a big bunch of chaos, but I find that strangely lovely, too.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

chaos is wayyyy to awesome to me!! but one thing i have learned from looking and watching ya'lls gardens is that when mine gets done next year is that i'll put all of my vining things in one area!! if i do the boat thing for sure, it'll hang off of there!! LOL :') ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I wish that I had a trellis, facing south - that was 8 ft tall, and 100 feet long. Now, That would make it easy....(no weird things, though)hee hee

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

no wierd things??? LOL ummmm.....what exactly constitutes as wierd??? LOL~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

"If you mow the lawn, and discover a recreational vehicle of any kind....you might be a redneck" - Jeff Foxworthy

• jeni3004
    15 years ago

ROFL. I love all the green!! BUT chaos makes me crazy! I rearranged my garden a few times while plants were very tiny to get it where I thought I could handle things. So far all is well. The only thing I'm NOT happy with is I planted too many onions (cuz I have this problem with not being able to throw any out ROFL). So it has taken over a bit and looks a bit crazy.

Off to take a quick pic with the phone (cuz its easier to email than to upload camera and such, call me LAZY!) to post, brb.

Ok, lied, grabbed the camera.

The empty squares are where the strawberries were. They were shooting runners all over the place so I built a new box and gave them there own 1'x10' section that they can take over all they want! Just did that yesterday so I still have some squares to fill with fall stuff :)

• carolynp
    15 years ago

See? That's another awesome thing about SFG! You can be as neat or sloppy as you can tolerate. And, even if the garden looks sloppy, it's got an organized look to it because of the squares.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

hmmm....i may not be able to handle this!!! especially if has any kind of "organization" to it!! LOL maybe that's why i love that boat idea sooo much!! pretty easy to mess that up!! LOL **big grinn** (shhh don't tell me otherwise!! LOL) yes jen, that does look great!! i love how your garden looks, and your right carol, it does have that organized even though its not, LOL ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Hey jeni....in that last photo, on the right side, at the bottom.....is that what I think it is? Could it be true?

Meanwhile - in Jeff's brain, all of the little people's hands are raised high in the air, saying "Oooh! I know! I know! pick me! pick me!"
    Over in the corner, there's one hand that isn't raised. Instead, the little guy is just sitting there - with a look of disgust on his face.
    (Jeff's brain) "alright little fellow, why don't you have your hand raised? Don't you know the answer?"
    (little rebel) "Nope...it's not what all of them think it is"
    (Jeff's brain) "How do you know it's not the C word"
    (little rebel) "It's not the C word, it's the B word"
    (Jeff's brain) "Hey! watch your language!!! Don't you know about the character map?"
    (little rebel) "No, retard...Not that B word, the other B word....Broccoli. What's the matter with you? Are you "flicted", or something?"
    (Jeff's brain) "Ohhhhh......

• jeni3004
    15 years ago

LOL Yes that the "B" word. And 2 of them in one square. And can you believe that they are growing just as well and as big as the one behind it that is in its OWN square.

Lets not talk about my tomato "bush" that is falling over w/o support and has squashed some onions (which I'm not too sad over considering theres like 100 onions in that there garden LOL).

Time to find a stick and tie it tight.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I've heard that broccoli that you grow yourself is MUCH better than you get at the grocery store. I'm planting 10 or 11 of them for my fall crop. I started seedlings a week ago. Can't wait to try it.

EG

• jeni3004
    15 years ago

LOL I'm thinking about adding a few next to the strawberries in the new box. Since they haven't taken up that WHOLE area yet. Cuz I'm a bit dumb and didn't know they were more of a "fall" crop I planted them right along with everything else. They haven't really done anythting in the heat though. Just sort of chilling there. So we shall see what happens!

They did lose bits of their leaves by some hornworms around the same time I had the cuc beetles. But I picked those lil bastards and chucked them way out in the field. After I showed their ugly butts to the kids of course and showed them how MEAN they are eating OUR food. LOL.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ROFL!!!!! LOL OMGoodness!!! ohhh talk about broccoli, dude i have them growing in like 2 rows!! i think they were the one things for sure that winter sowed really well!! i mean awesomely well!! i had so many i gave some i gave LOTS to 2 different familys, 1 i gave to support 2 family's!! no kiddng there!!. it was amazingly crazy!! when i sent off for sasbe's, i didn't know i kept sending off for differnt kind of broccoli's. so this winter, i planted every single kind i had!! LOL then i seen some in the magazine (ohhhh how dumb i was to look!!! LOL) they had PURPLE!!! ohhhh how awesome!! well i bought that!! i mean it was way awesome! LOL i absolutely had to!! LOL well that's one of them growing,LOL
    so ya, i'm soooo totally hooked on seed trading, then hubs took my stamps, MAN MEN!!! well he "borrowed" some and then didn't replace them, hey that's took in my book!! and i'm a poet and didn't knowet!! LOL **big grinn** LOL
    so yep!! i have lots of broccoli and some other stuff cuz the winter sowing marker faded, but this year i'm getting me a great one!!! LOL NO FADING!!! LOL ~ Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

So...how many broccoli did you plant, Medo? I tnink 10 or eleven for me will be good enough.

EG

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Medo, when you trade seeds, how do you do it? Do you gather from this year? Then do you keep them in baggies? I've looked a bit at the seed exchange. I've majored in tomatoes this summer so I can put them up. Apparently, you have to do something that includes fermenting in order to gather tomato seeds and I would rather buy more than start more fermentation in my yard, lol.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

we musta planted over 20 of them, just in one kind. LOL
    carolyn-ya gather seeds, let them dry, then post that you have fresh seeds and then say i'm looking for.... then on the message put what your looking for. i'm weird (as we all have noticed LOL) so that's what i'd do, it'd really peak their interest, LOL fresh is better!! HE HE HE
    umm ya!! put them in baggies and then we put them in the fridge in the crisper or something like that, or a dark closet, somewhere cool. (and dry) but ifyour the perfectionist type, LOL there's a guy who stores his in the fridge and has powdered milk in the big baggie and when it starts to cake, its time to replace it.(the milk) LOL
    also, i'd put mine vege's then fruit then flowers then plants, i keep them separated in different containers/baggies, then alphabeticalize them. its sooooo much easier!! answer any sasbe that is sent out!! that way you have seeds to trade with!! even if you dont want them. someone else will. LOL z
    for the tomato's, they say to let them sit in a bowl in some liquid and ferment(http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/Horseshoe/1109/,a perfect thing of it!!! ) then you rinse them off, i geuss its better that way, then you dry them and its all better and safe to trade, something about diseases that may get transferred? any of mine that weren't fermented/ as in on paper towels when i got them turned out fine. :') germinated great!! so i dunno. LOL i'm a totall newbie at this part!! LOL hope this helps!! ummm.... one thing,,, its can get addicting!! LOL the trading!! and the people are soooper cool!! LOL i always hate doing the sasbe's, ummm let me refrase, i love them but i say, let me send you something, cuz i think its a waste of stamps, so please let me send you SOMETHING!!! **big grinn** and usually they understand that part. LOL and let me send them something. and EVERYONE has a secret stash!! don't let anyone fool ya!! so if ya have something "special" and they have nothing you see, ask them about their secret stash!! LOL ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: fermenting tomato's a total show how to!! :'}

• carolynp
    15 years ago

LOL, thanks much Medo. I think I'll try this with anything except tomatoes, lol.

Grace,
    Carolyn P.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

sure!! i'm gonna give the maters a try, LOL it sounds kinda cool!! then we can write down the progress. and such. it'll be very interesting for the kids and uhhh this big kid, and to watch the hubs say how gross it is!!! LOL ohhhh ya!! LOL i'm soooooo there!! YEP!!! i save the salsa jars, so i have tons!! LOL ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Ummmm....I have a secret stash, hee hee....it's not tomatoes though. Hmm....wonder what it could be?

• medontdo
    15 years ago

hmmmm.....could it be......cabbage?? LOL orrrr broccoli?? LOL
    hmmmm....what is it?? i'm curious! of course i am a curious person!! LOL i have very little right now, i thought, but then we started cleaning out some of my wicker drawers, and HECK tabor and i found a heck load of vege seeds and flower seeds that i still have, i still havent found the seeds that angie sent me from earlier this year, LOL now she is my enabler, and i enable her, LOL we don't even trade, what we do is send each other a list and say, hey whatchya want out of these?? and then we just send them off, she crapped when i sent her a list of my stuff!! it took me forever to type it up!! LOL but i didn't grow that stuff. now that girl is good at growing stuff!! :') so i sent her a BULGING envelope of seeds!! LOL (bubbled envelope) i had stuffed even more in there i had found later!! LOL (remember i'm unorganized LOL) so now i'm trying to find which one's are ylang ylang tree's. ahhhhhh.....**sigh** LOL i have 2 different sets of them!! LOL ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Zzzzz....snore, Zzzzzz.... Wha? Somebody mention the "word"? I started more seeds today for both. I don't do any trading, or even saving seeds - for that matter. I just buy my seeds from where the VERY LOUD greeter works. I buy them for the entire year - both summer and fall crops.

EG

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting