Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SFG Design Tool

Posted by tmvinca none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 13:50

I've been lurking around this sight and forum as I get ready to transform my lawn into an edible garden. I thought I saw a link to a garden plot design tool, but I can't seem to find it. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SFG Design Tool

• Posted by snibb Salt Lake City (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 11:37

tmvinca...I think it might exist-I've seen it a few times in years past. I guess my question is, why would you want it? Your fingers are easy to use and are free! When I saw the designer tool I just thought it was another way to spend money for something that's not needed. I think I've got a couple of pictures in my gallery that show how easy it is to use your two fingers to plant. You might have to scroll through a few pictures to get there though. I hope it gives you some ideas-and saves you some money in the meantime

o

Snibb, I'm pretty sure tm is looking for software to help him/her design their garden layout, not actually plant their seeds lol...

Tm, there are several software applications out their to help you create your layout. I'm not sure of the names, but just google garden planner or something like that and I'm sure a bunch will come up. Excel works pretty well, as does graph paper and a pencil. :)

o

Thanks very much. Yes, I was looking for a layout tool. I thought I'd seen one associated with this site, but excel will work fine too.

o

Here are a couple of garden planners. Some are free and some are free for 30 days and then a small fee. Some have the ability to use Square Foot Gardening options (growveg.com).
http://www.growveg.com/gardenplanner/gardenplanner.html#
www.sfgplanner.com
http://www.gardeners.com/Kitchen-Garden-Planner/kgp_home,default,pg.html

o

I'm a bit late to the party here, but I got the design tool from territorial seeds. It's $25/annually and $40 for 2 years. I really like the way I can switch between square foot gardening and 'conventional' gardening. For me, it has helped plan out my garden, as well as it's fun to play around with on cold winter nights. :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ for the garden planner

o

How about SketchAndCalc.com?

Its free to use and can calculate the square foot area and perimeter of any irregular shape you care to draw. I think it supports metric measurements too?

I have a Pro license and use the image upload / Google Maps option to trace around ariel photos of gardens to calculate materials etc.

Very handy indeed.

Here is a link that might be useful: SketchAndCalc - The Area of Irregular Shapes you Draw

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here