Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best SFG size for 200 square foot space

Posted by jwaterski (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 14:26

I have a space that's 20 feet by 10 feet and I plan to build a few square foot boxes in that space. I am new to SFG so I was wondering what would be the ideal size SFG to work with? I was thinking maybe a few 4X4 boxes... or would a few 8X2 be better? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best SFG size for 200 square foot space

I would make two 4x20' boxes with a 2' path down the middle. 200 square feet isn't alot so you'll want to maximize bed area versus paths. Making 20' long boxes is more problematic, but I would be trying hard to not waste planting space. This is assuming that if you do this you will still have access to the outside edges, but I don't really know that. If you don't, then you would have to do all of the bed maintenance from the center, which you may or may not find acceptable.

o

With my beds I found I can capitalize on the aisle between the beds. My garden gets a lot of light though and I am not doing that "across the board" ....last bed has a piece of goat fence over the top and has small watermelons--but it would work for butternuts etc. I am doing more trellising as I go along....still have to be careful about light.

We built beds that are 3 x 8 inside - I know 4 is recommended but we used plans. Came up with the tops ourselves and they are giving all kinds of possibilities for trellising, and covering (like using shade cloth). I have had more sun than I bargained for and found on really hot days hanging shade cloth over some of the plants is not a bad thing.

Honestly, we made our aisles big enough for a garden cart but I think they are wider than we needed and we could have gained some space by tightening up. 2 feet makes sense. figure out how much you need to comfortably access the inside of the bed.

o

jocoyn your garden looks beautiful!

What plans did you use...how high are your beds and materials used?

More pictures please?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here