Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeni3004_gw

Very sad day in my gardening world

jeni3004
15 years ago

So I have had a really awesome year. I have had the blackest thumb my entire life (ok, I'm only 27, so it hasn't been THAT long of a life LOL). I still can't keep house plants alive.

But my garden has done amazing. I have had no issues with anything. I've been able to harvest. I've lost very few plants (and I planted A LOT). I have a ton of tomatoes starting to turn, I have been eating beans for a couple weeks now, along with lettuce.

So I go out to my garden yesterday. I have cucumbers! I planted I think 4 or 5 different varieties tosee what grows well here and what I like and such. I have a total of 4 bush cucs (although they are NOT bushy at all LOL, they are being guided upa trellis). And then I have I think about 14 other cuc plants. They are spread out in 3 different areas, in a total of 2 boxes.

So along with my cute lil cucumbers (a few big enough to be used for dill pickles) and I have cucumber beatles fornicating all over my plants!! *cries*

I have had NO bug problems. NO fungus problems. Just all around NO issues at all (except for some ants and a squirrel stealing my ant traps.)

Cucumbers were the ONE THING thatI really wanted to make it so that I can can some using great gramma's recipe and take them to her! She hasn't been able to garden the last few years (shes 96) and its the one thing I wanted to take to her before she passes away.

So what did I do?!?!?

I went out and covered all of my plants (and surrounding plants and grass on accident LOL) in Sevin Dust. I felt like I was pouring poison on my garden.

I keep telling myself that if I wait the 3 days to harvest any cucs (though they probably won't be ready for a bit longer) and wash them really really well that they will STILL be better than any nasty stuff bought at the grocery store.

*sigh*

Off to pout some more.

Comments (23)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Well....cheer up, and march yourself right back out there- and show those beetles who's the boss! That's what I do -I went on the offensive, and really took it to the squash bugs. I climbed right in there with them- and squished every last one. Anybody driving by would have freaked out, when the only thing they saw was a couple of size 15 shoes sticking out of the foliage! That's your garden, and you worked hard on it. Don't let those little pests bring you down. Get mad, go out there at night, when they least expect it - and they're having a big party.....every night.You go girl! Are you motivated yet?

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

that's right!! don't let them get the best of you!! they are little critters!! LOL geeze and grandma is waiting on YOUR cukes!! did that get ya?? **big grinn**
    i bought seven last year, but i couldn't bring myself to use it. something about putting poison on food i'm gonna feed my kids and us, so i never used it, but i didn't tell mom since actually she bought it for me, LOL when she asks i say ahhhh my squash turned out great mom!! thanks!! your the best!! and give her a great big hug :'> LOL ~Medo
    p.s.
    now get busy getting them bugs out of there **big smile**

• jeni3004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I did put the Sevin out there, cringing the whole time, but the good news is I have upside down beetles all over the leaves LOL. AND even better is it is raining like CRAZY out there right now so that means most of it is getting washed off already. And I will probably spray it down 50 more times with the hose before I harvest any cucs. ROFL.

Thanks for the encouragement! I tried to squash a bunch of the *enter not nice word here* last night but the mosquitoes were eating me and the babies alive so we came inside.

*fingers crossed* I hope I got on it soon enough, I hope that in the 24 hours they were out there that they didn't fornicate enough to create too many more of the lil creeps.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

If they did what I call "the happy dance" - you will need to look the plants and leaves over really well for eggs....and squash every one of them! They will be back if you don't.

EG

• jeni3004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks EG! I think I poured enough Sevin on there to last a while. *blushes* I didn't have a shaker can so I cut just a tip in the bag and started shaking, errrr pouring it on the plants. LOL. It poured pretty good last night and there is still some left on the lower leaves. I did go out and do a quick once over this morning and nothing yet. I did look for eggs before I sprinkled and didn't see any (thats not to say with a dog, 2yo, and 3yo that I didn't miss a few leaves LOL).

I got some of that stuff on me yesterday, the wind blew it in my face, and youch, not nice stuff! So Imma wash all the leaves down with the hose and then do some examining during nap time today :)

Thanks for reminding me of those lil eggs!

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Next time you use sevin - take a knee high, and pour about a cup full of the sevin powder into it - this will create a "ball" of powder that you can hold in one hand, and just shake it and also brush it - over/under/and against the plant leaves. This is a very good method to dust with, and uses way less powder.

EG

• jeni3004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

EG you mean Im supposed to have knee highs in my drawer?!?!!? ROFL. Maybe the neighbor lady has some I can borrow.

And an update, its 930 pm and I have yet to see another "thing" (to put it nicely) and no eggs that I've found yet either, though I will keep watching out for those "things."

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

LOL, No- you're not supposed to have any for personal use, just buy a pair for use in the garden. I bought 8 pairs of extra large the other day at walmart, and the saleslady asked me what I was gonna do with them. I told her that my garden needed them! And the bigger the better......She told me that was TMI...LOL I told her my garden was weird, but in a good way.

EG

• jeni3004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ROFL. Hey I wouldn't think anyone at Walmart would think thats strange.......at least our Walmart.........let's just say its a very "diverse" place.

Guess I will have to invest in some next time I go to have on hand in case the "things" (are we allowed to swear on here? LOL) return!

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

No swearing allowed! Very bad. That's why there's a character map on your computer. It's got all kinds of weird symbols on it, that you can use - to make up words with! Here's where it is - from the start menu, go to programs/accessories/system tools/character map. You can say words like this : "Why you little ΣΣÐΣЮÎÚ³ââºâ«!"

• fishymamas
    15 years ago

Don't worry Jeni, the plants don't care if you use the thigh-his or the knee-his, although I have to buy new nylons for my garden, last time I wore any was to a wedding 2 years ago. However, the preschool I work at always has little girls ripping up tights and then they toss them, those work fine for tying up plants (tomato bondage, as mr fishy says).

• fishymamas
    15 years ago

Don't worry Jeni, the plants don't care if you use the thigh-his or the knee-his, although I have to buy new nylons for my garden, last time I wore any was to a wedding 2 years ago. However, the preschool I work at always has little girls ripping up tights and then they toss them, those work fine for tying up plants (tomato bondage, as mr fishy says).

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i didn't know that!! i usually just start the word then add the stars!! LOL or you can use the things above the numbers. :') (although they're not as cool!! LOL)
    your so nice, i'da told the lady with a nice smile hey, you asked! LOL and grinned big time!! LOL **big ol grin** that's funny, now the topeka walmart, they are stuffy- some of them, its kinda big townish, others are just downright funny, but if ya go to the north topeka store they are a hoot!! LOL
    but when we go to salina to visit my dad and susie, ahhhh i love them people!! they are so relaxed!! LOL but if ya
    go to the garden center in the walmart they'd think it was funny! LOL ~Medo

p.s. ya can use mint oil for the misquitos and it works great!! lavender don't seem to work this year :'(

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Well.....my Walmart is "special". One of the greeters is a retired fellow - that does the best job of welcoming you to his store! First time I walked in with him greeting, As soon as I got 10 feet in front of him - he said, "WELCOME TO WALMART!!!!!!!!" You could hear him all the way to the electronics department! LOL. The women working in the salon weren't even using hair driers no more, if they needed to dry somebody's hair they had just cut- they'd just grab their comb, and tell the customer "Now hon...we're fixin to dry your hair...when I tell you to put the earplugs in - we'll have it dry in about 3 seconds" LOL A few months later, I walked in, and sure nuff....there he was....just waiting for the right time to get me. I was like....Oh god....here it comes - i'll probably have to go to the eye,ear,nose, and throat doctor after this one.. Instead, he faintly said..."welcome to walmart". I asked the cashier if his wife died, or something - causing him to lose some of his "spunk". She said "naw, he just got a new hearing aid!"

EG

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Skeeters? When did we start talking about mosquitoes? I'm so confused. lol

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

her babies were getting eaten by skeeters so she couldnt stay out to long to inpect them plants soosoooo, i told her about mint oil. it works great!! i use it on talla, she is a mosquito magnet!! they absolutely love her blood. so i mix stuff up and if they stay away i know it works!! LOL
    ours at walmart are ok so far. LOL
    if ya go to sallys beauty salon they have a green tea massage oil, i use that sparingly, but the skeeters stay away!! big time!! and the other thing!! it lasts forever and your skin is sooooo soft!! and you smell good!! LOL :') its like 8 something tho but well worth the price!! especially for as long as it lasts!
    did ya get all them bugs?? i hope so!! :') ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

skeeters or greeters? just kidding

• jeni3004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All is well! Have not seen another bug!! Well I've seen a few bees and flies and ants, but I will let them live ;) No beetles!!! Picked my first cucs this morning!!!

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

There ya go....see? This thread started out all sad, ( ok, whisper, now.)"then got really weird once you-know-who showed up" shhh....Don't say anything, she might run over me with her boat"......
    And ended with a table full of harvested horticultural happiness. Yay!

EG

• jeni3004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ROFL. The good news is that her boat doesnt RUN. So I think you are SAFE!!!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

HEY HEY!!! now ya'll be have!!! LOL had to check on ya'll!! LOL **big grinn** BUTTTT i do have a boat that DOES run!!! LOL but alas hubs wouldn't let me run anyone over with it!! LOL so your lucky there!! only cuz it might get him in trouble, SHHHH pprobably only cuz he don't wanna get stuck with these rugrats!!! LOL **onry laugh** LOL
    Looking good on the food!! see ya did awesome!! now if ya just don't keel over from the poison ya put on the poor food!! LOL ya know i'm jsut kidding!! LOL :') although there is a wash i had read about its hmmmm......1 gal warm water, 1 bar of ivory soap, i think like 1//4 c oil, spray on after a rain, and reapply every time it rains. make sure to get under the leaves as well, but ya have to let the bar "melt" in the warm water over night. i tried it last year and works well. i just havent this year. the oil has the soap/water stick to the plant to keep the bugs away from your plant/food. my spreader thingi didn't work, and ya know how it is, everytime ya go to the store ya have moreimportant things on your mind than some little feeder/spreader thingi!! for your hose!! LOL ohhhh the best part, its safe!!! ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Oh No!!!! Run!

• honaras
    15 years ago

if you're still a little worried about sevin, you can use DE (diatomaceous earth) in your garden instead. it's completely non-toxic to people, plants, and animals. it feels like talcum powder to us, but it's made up of super-tiny sharp skeletons of tiny little sea creatures.
    long story short - when bugs crawl on it (ants, roaches, svb, cuc beetles, aphids, fleas, slugs, etc.) it cuts their bodies and they dry out. you can even use it on or *IN* pets to get rid of internal parasites.
    you can buy it at hardware stores, online, or plant nurseries. just don't get the pool-filter grade DE, that has chemicals in it.
    it's so thoughtful of you to grow the cucs for your gram. i bet she'll *love* 'em!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor