Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jengc_gw

Concrete and wood

jengc
14 years ago

I wonder if this is a square foot garden question but then I recall that this is FOR my garden so I chanced it is a gardening question. LOL

ANYWAY, I used concrete blocks (from a wall that blew down) for my main garden. I want to attach wood planks to the concrete blocks to make it look better. I tried concrete screws and that was not working AT ALL. I tried liquid nails but the boards have popped off. They stay in place, but I tend to lean on them causing them to tip and anything that is on it goes crashing to the ground (i.e. two pepper plants that died in the accident).

Any suggestions at all???

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen's Victory Garden Blog

Comments (6)

• golfngardennut
    14 years ago

dumb question, but are you also using L-brackets in addition? How about driving a long stake (2x2 into the ground near the concrete and nailing the wood to it?

Good Luck

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

What about just painting the cinder block? Easy peasy.

• jengc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

golfngardennut-I dont understand. I have cap blocks standing on the end (the narrow part) that is holding in the soil (I am a loss for good descriptive words for some reason). I have some wood planks that is laying over them (in my blog, if you scroll down, you will see a picture of it. it might be in the June section too).

Ribbit-good idea. I just wonder what that will look like. I like the wood because it is a tad wider. OH! what if I put a supporting piece of wood underneath the wood that is parallel with the concrete! hmm I wonder if that will work. I would think it would be ideal for supporting any leaning and I can nail the two pieces together to make it much more stable. And just use the concrete blocks to support the other side, but just not be attached. Ribbit, you are a genius!!! heh

• bryanb1
    14 years ago

In my back yard, I used concrete blocks for defining the square foot garden. Worked fine. I did not worry about its' appearance. When I shifted to the front yard because of shade from the neighbor's trees, I built stone enclosed beds at my wife's suggestions. I would have gone with wood, but she was absolutely right. They look good and draw very positive comments.

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

DH built me some wood shelving in an unfinished area of our basement in a previous house. To attach the boards that held the shelves to the concrete wall, he used some sort of concrete nail driver (I can't think of what it's actually called right now). It's a thing that you put in a nail, insert a little gunpowder charge and whack it with a hammer. Those shelves never fell down...
    I'm not sure if that would work for you or not...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• jengc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OH MY! I would hurt someone with a gun powder charged hammer! rofl

My mom found a concrete screwdriver. My mom and brother in law used it to put up a ledger board for some wood stairs we are putting in to access the garden better (YIPPEE!!!). I might use that but I might now. I can see me doing major damage with that too! ROFL

Sponsored