Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thx3andme

Help a procrastinating NEWBIE with Trellis questions!

thx3andme
14 years ago

I have my first garden this year. I built three 4x6 raised beds that are bout 14" high. I am a horrible procrastinator -- really! Between that, needing help from my disappearing teenagers, and the incredible amount of rain (for us) with lightening and hail, I am way behind on installing my trellises. I went with the "sturdy" stakes and also found some 5x8 netting. So, in one of my beds, I planted one pumpkin plant and then watermelon and cucumber seeds. I think I can get these to go up the netting still. BUT, at the other end, I planted two yellow squash plants and yellow and zucchini seeds. THESE are huge! The leaves are now bigger than the holes in the netting! Will these still grow up the netting? I thought about loosely wrapping string or twine around the plants and then tying that to the netting. I also could cut my excess netting (which is placed between two rows of plants) and then putting one end of the netting at the end of the bed then angling it over the plants and attaching that to the netting -- this would kind of put a wall and a roof over the plants if that makes sense.

Do you think this would work? Worth a try? HELP! Next year I a SO doing things differently! But I spent so much on the raised beds and dirt this year.....

Comments (6)

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

That should work. Some plants climb by themselves and others need help. Give it to them if needed. Good luck and hopefully they'll top out your trellis!

• stitchintime23
    14 years ago

The worst thing is that things might have to sprawl a little - who cares?! Tie things up the best that you can and think about stronger netting for next year. Keep an eye out for stems that might break - expecting pumpkin AND watermelon AND squash to share might have been a bit ambitious, live and learn. We have to be optimists in order to be gardeners.

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

I'm totally sure I'm not visualizing things right, but that sounds like a lot to trellis considering the weight. I agree with stitchintime. Just let the pumpkin and watermelon trail behind the trellis and onto the ground. They'll do fine. If the zucchini is a bush variety, it will get huge, but once everything grows up the trellis, the upper leaves will get the sun and all will be right and dandy.

We all learn by doing. I learned not to plant okra behind my peppers and the pots in the front walk are more suited to peppers than eggplants. Learning is half the fun because then we can go through and redesign the garden all over again. It's what keeps us all sane in the winter months, anyway.

• thx3andme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the encouragement and tips! I will try to post some pics later this week (I don't know how to on this forum yet). Besides, I need to take new ones. My old pics are from about 10 days ago and some of my plants have gotten monstrous in comparison! BTW, I "only" planted one pumpkin seedling/plant. And the watermelons are sugar babies which makes a difference! LOL I can just see the pictures in your minds!! The squash on the other side is a little scarier -- it has gotten so big! I am imagining a garden like Hagrid's on Harry Potter. I am hoping some will climb otherwise my son will probably end up mowing something.

Thanks!

Carol

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

HA! Mowing here can be an adventure. There's either a semi circle around the cantaloupe left uncut or I get called outside to lift up the vines.

• katy_f
    14 years ago

I made the same mistake with the squash...I just assumed that it would be a "vining" variety and it most definitely wasn't! Both my squash and zucchini got monstrous and certainly didn't want to climb a trellis. Like you said, it's a fantastic learning experience! :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!