Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bone Dry Mix

Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 17:06

It seems that no matter how much I water (set sprinkler the other night for over an hour, and already the containers are bone dry. so dry they are pulling away from the sides, needless to say the strawberries I have in there are all dying.

I just cant water these 3 beds every day, so I guess I'm going to come up with another plan.

Any suggestions?

My mix is a combo of compost, potting mix, perlite, and spagnum peat moss.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bone Dry Mix

Did you soak your peat moss before you mixed it in? That stuff tends to need to be totally saturated to do it's job right.

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 21:49

I guess I should have added that this is NOT a new bed, it's 2 years in use now. And I did add more compost and potting mix before planting this year. I'm considering moving it all out and starting over.

o

You might try giving it a thorough watering (make sure it's moist down in the root zone) and mulching with something that will break down prety easily like straw, shredded leaves, etc. Maybe that will help hold the moisture in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

o

rjinga, my beds are drying out very fast as well with this heat and humidity. I can only imagine it's worse in middle GA. Perhaps it's just going to be a summer thing?

o

I'm with greenbean. If you are overhead watering, switch to a soaker hose or something and mulch.

Dan

o

tabor and i filled all of the beds with straw, and the bottom of them are staying moist, but of course, we have been throwing worms in there all the time. LOL we go out and turn over logs, rocks and whatever we can to find them. in the winter, i'm going to add the cornmeal to the beds so they will make lots of babies!! (in the spring) LOL of course this all in my mind, how it will work!! **grin** LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here