Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanajolo

Homemade shade for my baking SFG garden

nanajolo
14 years ago

Our area is baking in record heat this summer, and my new SFG is suffering.

The established plants seem to be hanging on, waiting for the weather to cool down some. I did lose my two largest summer squash plants to aphid and heat damage and replaced them last week. It was just too hot and the transplants were suffering. (It may be late in the season to start new summer squash, but I love squash, and am ever optimistic.) So, how to help them survive...?

I had some wire frames that I believe are used by realtors to stick signs into the ground. Bought them at a yard sale thinking I might make some sort of support cage for the garden out of them. My Handy Husband had shade cloth rolled up in the shed awaiting the completion of another project...so I brainstormed these 'shade walls' to stick in the ground around the plants that really need the mid-day protection. I'll just have to explain later to Handy Husband why that roll of shade cloth he bought isn't as long as he thought it was.

I sewed the first two by hand, then took the last four to my trusty Singer Sewing Machine. When I finished sewing them, I took each out and stuck it between the slats in the arm of my porch swing and bent them into a slight angle. These 'shade walls' are lightweight, stackable for storage, super easy to move as needed and, best of all, were very cheap to make! Probably not the greatest invention in recent gardening history, but I was quite pleased with myself, and Handy Husband was impressed.

The 'shade walls' let in light but provide shade. The plants they are protecting perked up after I put these 'shade walls' around them. They've been in 3 days now, and seem to be doing the job!

Hope this will help anyone else whose garden is baking in the summer sun!

Oh, and check out the picture of the 'baby bird' tomato we found at the bottom of our bush tomato plant. The grandsons are keeping it to show to Grandpa when he gets home.

Just incase the photos do not embed, I'm enclosing a link to the pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)

Sponsored