Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brindalmadison1911

Crop Rotation in SFG

brindalmadison1911
12 years ago

I would appreciate comments from you folks about how crop rotation is best done in SFG. Is it possible to effectively rotate crops within one 4x4 or in my case, one 4x8 bed, from year to year as long as you use a different square, or is it better to rotate crops to a different bed? How many years do you find it best to do the rotation? I have heard three years is best, what is your experience?

Many thanks for your input!

Comments (7)

• homeend
    12 years ago

the answer can be found in the book since crop rotation does not work well on such small scale.

• sinfonian
    12 years ago

Depends on what you're looking for from crop rotation. If you want it to prevent diseases and pests from attacking plants year-to-year, sorry, it doesn't work. I've got 4 beds totaling 150 SF in close proximity and I have trouble with pests jumping from bed to bed.

However, if you're rotating crops for the purpose of not depleting the nutrients in the soil, adding compost every time you replant solves that.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden

• brindalmadison1911
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Homeend, in my copy of the 1981 SFG book, Mel clearly states the importance of crop rotation, but seems to feel that it will happen automatically and you don't need an elaborate plan. I found it pretty easy to make sure I was rotating. Next time I'm in a bookstore I will check out the NSFG book to see what it says about this.

• brindalmadison1911
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sinfonian, thanks for the nice answer. I would be adding compost for each planting to take care of the nutrient issue. With rotation I hoped to rotate the different botanical plant families to interrupt the disease cycles, which most of the garden books I've read recommend we do. Hopefully this approach will allow for healthier soil, as in the past in another garden I found that planting the same crop in the same place year after year, in this case tomatoes, resulted in the yields and plant health getting steadily worse year after year.

Enjoy your garden too!

• howelbama
    12 years ago

Homeend, you seem to chime in with that response quite often. You wouldn't happen to have any vested interest in the book(s) would you? ;)

At any rate, many of us already own the book(s) and are simply looking for practical advise. Most times you need more than just the theoretical information presented in a text book to succeed.

Don't worry, no one is trying to undermine your profits.

• brindalmadison1911
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Howelbama, very perceptive, articulate post. I agree 1000%. If the books were the answer to everything, there wouldn't be any posts on this board! :-)

• homeend
    12 years ago

howelbama i have no vested interest in the sale of mels book.
    but if are following the square foot method the book should be consulted because most the answers people are looking for
    are in the book. If someone is trying to follow the method you need the book and it read carefully. Since so many square foot failures come from people you just try to follow the spacing but neglected to follow the other square growing requirements.

Sponsored