Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sqftsteve

The groundhog's back and I don't care (video)

sqftsteve
14 years ago

After disappearing for the winter last year, "Jaws" mysteriously reappeared in the yard on July 7th. His mouth has been going non-stop ever since.

Finally, the "Square Foot Fortress" can be put to a real-world test. Groundhogs don't have opposable thumbs, do they??? LOL

{{gwi:1281749}}

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxHazHT0KE0&fmt=18

Comments (12)

• stitchintime23
    14 years ago

oooh the little bugger! I hope your protection keeps him away

We decided to take a more drastic measure this evening by placing the trap flush with the fencing. Our garden enemy has been doing a perimeter walk, and we figure he might just walk in. It's just a matter of time before he starts digging. Like in your yard he/she has plenty of other options besides my produce.

ps you can find that book at half.com for less than $1. Great source for used books, especially non-fiction.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

Sqftsteve, you are my new best friend. That was priceless! How often does that sucker come around? You'd think they'd be more recluse than that.

• crystabel
    14 years ago

That was great! Looks like he found some other way to keep occupied.

• lowraine
    14 years ago

My daughter has three groundhogs living in her backyard. Her husband has a small garden which he shares with the three. She said you couldn't keep them out of a fenced space because she had seen them go over a chained fence, eat, and come back over on their way back to their home under her husbands shop.

• c_penton
    14 years ago

Hilarious! Great vid! SFG looks awesome too!

• jeremyjs
    14 years ago

I ended up having to fortify my mom's garden with a .22 rifle last year. They're tenacious and clever little beasts. Incidentally if you have space for a crop to keep them occupied outside of your garden they absolutely love sweet potato vines. The family of hogs that that used to live around here would go after them above all else. The only problem with that is after a couple of years you'll be swimming in groundhogs. They breed like mad.

• sqftsteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Round Two, and "Jaws" is getting bolder by the day. This is at about 1pm in the afternoon, with the neighbor's kids loudly splashing around in a pool just on the other side of that fence.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RtTU3quINE&fmt=18

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

Great stuff! Are your beds groundhog proof under ground as well? (i.e. chicken wire buried as well???)

• walkerjks
    14 years ago

I just make an annual sacrifice to the groundhog. It might be grapes, or sometimes tomatoes... I just figure it's the cost of doing business in its neighborhood.

Although this year, my cat chased off the local marmot during the day, so maybe my garden will be spared.

• bumble_doodle
    14 years ago

Too funny! In an effort to thwart our resident groundhog this year, we critter-proofed the bottom of the garden shed and double fenced the veggie garden.

The good news? It worked!

The bad news? The bugger has moved in under the deck!

It's ripped away lattice, eaten all of my black-eyed-susans, mowed down a huge pot of dill and a smaller one of basil. Heck, I've even watched it eat part of a tomato plant that I have growing in a whiskey barrel on the deck. It could barely reach over the top of the container but still managed to munch away. Grrrrrrrr.

• sqftsteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Great stuff! Are your beds groundhog proof under ground as well?"

Did I ever! ;-) You can see how I fortified the bottoms about 40 seconds into in the "Birth of a Square Foot Garden" video.

The front right planter is actually placed directly on one of his burrow exits. I found it while clearing that area of weeds, and for a couple of days we played a game of I-fill-it-up-he-digs-it-out. I can only imagine what went through his furry little mind when one day he dug his way out and came face to face with 1/2" hardware cloth. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRjXAZqXvXA&fmt=18

Here is a link that might be useful: Birth of a Square Foot Garden video

• albertar
    14 years ago

hey Steve, I don't frequent this forum all that often, but I just wanted to let you know I loved both videos!!What a great idea with the chicken wire!! I saw a ground hog in my yard last Sunday morning, while looking out from an upstairs window, and I made some noise and he ran under the shed. He's got to GO. So far there hasn't been any damage, nor has he/she gotten into any of my beds yet, but he must still be around. Anyway, I'm rambling, just wanted to let you know I loved the video's.

Alberta

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio