Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curt_grow

Square foot Brags

curt_grow
13 years ago

OK you Square footers,Lets hear it. I know there is a lot of great gardens out there and I need to hear about them. Surly I am not the only one with a ton of good produce. Well not a ton maybe, but all I can eat out of 76 square foot of garden. And 112 of garden for winter storage crops that will be harvested later in the fall.

Today for a snack, raw kohlrabi with salt yum.

Dinner;

New potato and fresh carrots.

fried zucchini.

I won't list any more but just let me say I get one or two servings a day of fresh produce from this small garden In fact it is hard to keep up with the cornucopia. now lets hear your "brag".

Curt~

Comments (11)

• marzy_the_gardener
    13 years ago

I've got 96 square feet of gardeny goodness! Harvested a zucchini and a basketfull of green beans to eat with my dinner last night. A few fresh strawberries were dessert. The neighbor boys harvested the carrots last weekend and were excited that the carrots were purple, yellow and pink in addition to the normal orange ones.

Many successes and very few pest problems this year...so far. Am waiting for tomatoes to ripen

• kathmcd7
    13 years ago

This is not my greatest growing time of year. It's 112 degrees here today! I am harvesting tomatoes, onions, some lettuce and carrots. In August, I'll be planting for the winter months. A little jealous of you all with the good harvests this time of year.
    Kath

• nancyinla
    13 years ago

Today was my best harvest day BY FAR! Two long, straight burpless cukes, 2 bell peppers (1 purple, 1 yellow), a dozen yellow pear tomatoes and another 10? green zebras, plus zucchini. Always zucchini! Oh, and I picked a few scallions since I needed them. Tomatillos (from seed!) are in bloom, jalapenos have started -- I'll have fresh salsa from my garden in another few weeks (cross my fingers). :)

• heather38
    13 years ago

I don't have a huge heap of stuff, just the promise! of lots of tomatoes, cabbages are recovering from the heat and are starting to finally look like small cabbages, my Beans pole and runner, all the flowers fell, but are now flowering again, My carrots are nearly all eaten, a few to go, even in the hot weather they tasted good, I don't now if this worked, but I would pick what I needed and soil attached and tops on put in a tub in the freezer for 20 minutes, until really cold and then put in the fridge for until the evening, then prepared, it maybe mind over mater but it did seem to work?
    late Pots very soon, Onions a dead loss, second year running! still it can't all be good.:)

• happyintexas
    13 years ago

Oh, we've had a wonderful year! This is our first square foot garden and we LOVE it. Although we are life long gardeners, our icky soil makes gardening a challenge. Creating square foot boxes has been a blast...

We've had an abundance of tomatoes, yellow squash and basil. Cucumbers are coming out our ears. All the peppers are starting to produce.

Best of all, it's late July and our plants are in good shape. Some will continue to produce into fall.

We are planning to build two more boxes for next spring.

• alexishgpr
    13 years ago

I'm just in the process of evaluating my yield for a 4x4x1 box using the SFG method. To sum it up, our season started late due to cold weather and I should have planted the pole beans in the middle. I'm happy with my modifications to mel's mix. Here are the details:

Here is a link that might be useful: square foot garden review

• kathmcd7
    13 years ago

alex - I saw that you used red lava rock. Why, and what properties does it have? On the container gardening forum, they suggest rocks in containers. I know vermiculite holds water but not sure about the red lava rock.
    Kath

• swarth
    13 years ago

This is my second summer with Square foot and I now have 175SF. One box is awaiting planting and another has Lettuce seedlings that even with row covers only gave 50% germination...no worries though seeds are cheap and it's not that hot right now. Now for the good stuff, Harvesting Gherkins every day, Straight 8 Cukes every few days, The others are not yet ready ( I had a nasty slug problem that destroyed most of my seedlings in my cold frame and I had to start over on many plants.) 2-3 Lavender Touch eggplant are ready every few days, The Diamond and the Rosa Bianca are just starting to produce. A few of 15 Heirloom Tomatoes I have are harvested each day with more on the way. The Black From Tula are heavenly, but small. I'm getting Peppers (still green) Sandia, Jalepeno, Serrano, Cubanelle, de Arbol, Jimmy Nardello, Pasilla Bajio, Poblano, the others I'll wait till red. Collards, Kale and Chards are ready and going strong. Beets are small but have great greens. Pole beans are 8 feets high but nada yet. Bush beans are flowering. Chives, Tarragon, Oregano, Mints...

• sandhiller_zone4b
    13 years ago

My first year SFG, long time gardener. Had fresh vegies nearly every day including too many tomatoes from just 5 plants. All this from 80 sq. ft. for a family of 6 This evening I harvested the last block of carrots. 16 (well actually 17) carrots weighed in at 4.75 pounds. I'll have to say I guess this works!

• eaglesgarden
    13 years ago

This coming year I plan to do more succession planting than I have in the past. I really regret not having lettuce year round, and I keep kicking myself for not being better organized about it. I just saw a video about gardening at Monticello, which mentioned that Thomas Jefferson would plant a thimble full of lettuce seeds every week through out the year, and he would have fresh lettuce the whole year. I'm not in the same climate as TJ, but I think that with some variations to my choices (some hearty choices for winter and summer), I could do that with just a little extra effort on my part. I keep hearing about the wonder of "Mache", winter lettuce basically, and I haven't put it to the test yet. Many next winter. I think it's too late in the year now... not nearly enough energy from the sun to get a lot of growth at this point, even though the temps are still pretty nice. We are only about 4 weeks from the solstice.

• bettyd_z7_va
    13 years ago

This is my first SFG.

I planted everything several weeks late for a fall garden (according the the planting directions on the packs),
    and I still have lots of turnip greens, some spinach, pea shoots, tiny beets and tiny carrots.

I've learned the hard way to follow planting instructions from Mel and not plant so thickly.

My only regret is that we didn't have enough time or $$s to have more SFG beds.

There will be more every season as money permits.

Betty

Sponsored