Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_n_jessa

pictures of our SFG

jeff-n-jessa
15 years ago

Hi everyone! My wife grew up square foot gardening, and we still use the old book from the 1980's. She threw herself into the project this year, and dug out all the beds, replaced the soil, and laid down the pavers. It's been incredible! The tomatoes are twice as big (all 10 varieties), and each square has something different for fun.

One problem - we didn't use the right number of squares for some of the tomatoes, and they're very crowded!

I love seeing everyone else's pics - keep 'em coming!

{{gwi:1281805}}

{{gwi:1281806}}

{{gwi:1281807}}

{{gwi:1281808}}

{{gwi:1281809}}

I'm not sure I want the greenhouse to be a trellis...I lost that argument.

{{gwi:1281810}}

Comments (10)

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Wow! Your garden is beautiful! How inspirational!
    What do you mean about the tomatoes? I thought they were 1 per sq ft in the book?

Grace,
    Carolyn P.

• jeff-n-jessa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Carolyn. I think the indeterminate, since they get so big, get four squares (but I'm just going on memory).

• m_lorne
    15 years ago

Love your trellis support. Are those 1x2's? Also love the paving stones - they really class up the operation.

Know what you mean about the tomato bushes. I have mine in 5 18" clay pots on the deck and I can't imagine trying to fit them into the square foot beds. There are some things that are best left out of the SFG, including cauliflower, squash and bush tomatoes.

Well done, and thanks for the picks.

• jeff-n-jessa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy - my wife made those supports, and I think they're pine stakes that she just screwed together.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

That looks very nice.....and the greenhouse is awesome. I'd give anything if I had one.

EG

• krintis
    15 years ago

pics are beautiful. i like how you did that with the tile. your garden is just "wonderful" to look at, and i also like the trellis for the peas.

"Krintis"

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i absolutely love how your gardens are set up!! and i love your gh!! i hpe mine is as cool as yours!! :') and i absolutely agree with everyone about how the tiles and all!! :') WOW
    ~Medo

• bencjedi
    15 years ago

Your garden looks fantastic!

If you think yours is overcrowded, check out mine. Some volunteer sunflowers grew and I kind of just let them. The one in the back is over 11-ft tall!

The screening on the cattle panel "Tomato Armageddon"\pole bean trellis keeps the Japanese beetles off the pole beans (for some reason the bugs are too stupid to fly inside the arch for full access).

• penserosa
    15 years ago

Very nice!!

• crystabel
    15 years ago

Looks great! Thanks for sharing :)

Sponsored