Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljpother

Not a square foot garden -- crowded

ljpother
14 years ago

These are my wintersown tomatoes between my potatoes and sugar snap peas. I didn't expect the sugar snaps to get so tall. The plan was to have the peas picked before I had to support the tomatoes. With the lack of light, that still might happen. :)

{{gwi:421701}}

Comments (4)

• loritajo
    14 years ago

My peas grew to tremendous heights too! I planted two types, Sugar Snap and Snow Peas. Thinking they would grow, harvest and be pulled out by the time other veggies reached their growth spurt, I planted them in the middle of my sfg. Eight entire squares worth...at 8 per square!

Well, the Snow peas are over 4 feet tall and the Sugar Snap are going on 7 feet (up and over the 5 foot trellis.

My poor corn and beans behind it are a little stunted. I am harvesting peas daily and hoping I will run out soon.

Next year the peas are going on the North end with everything else in front of them!

Live and learn... Lori

• defrost49
    14 years ago

Would you consider removing some of the tomato plants? Maybe replant them in a large container. Last year I had this brilliant idea that I would train the winter squash vines to grow 'away' from the tomatoes. (My bed is wider than it should be and next year I'll put an official path down the middle. Well, overnight they grew 'over' the tomatoes. It was difficult to get to the tomatoes so I didn't harvest some in time hence I lost a lot. Since tomatoes and potatoes are in the same family, I'm not sure you should grow them next to each other.
    I'm jealous about the height of your sugar snaps. This year we put up The Fence, a concrete reinforcing panel left over from a project. The package said the peas are supposed to get 5-6' tall. I think most of mine are in the 4' size. The phoebes like sitting on the fence, though.

• ljpother
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The tomatoes aren't going anywhere. As you can see in the picture, I can't get at them to move them. I was in the garden at mid day and they do get some sun -- the chicken wire is creating a narrow space. Some of the plants are getting flowers, so it may work out. I had hoped to test winter sowing and see if I can get mature tomatoes. However with the amount of light, I don't think it's a fair trial.

Other than support them after the fact, I didn't do anything for the peas.

If you think the peas are tall you should see the hollyhocks. I left them because they were dinky little things I expected to flower next year. My carrots are in there somewhere. The irony is the best germination was where the hollyhocks provided shade -- now the slowest growth is where . . . Last year the hollyhocks got over eight feet high.

{{gwi:1279001}}

• medontdo
    14 years ago

winter sowing does great, dont' sweat it. i'm sure everything will work out one way or another. although i'd be tempted to dig a tomato plant (that is, try to) and bring it in, coming this fall and keep it indoors, i had a friend who kept his for 5 yrs. grew it till he wanted to try a different kind. then let it go in the spring outside. then in the fall brought the new one inside. what he did was give it a shake when he walked by it. it pollinates it. but i love your jungle ! **big smile** ~medo

Sponsored