Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pics of trellis for muscadines

Posted by engineeredgarden 7, nw Alabama (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 21:58

Here ya go, krintis. This is a picture of the only one that is visible at this time. You can see the growth on the one that is opposite this one. I have 4 total. If you need any instructions, all you need do is ask.

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: EG's muscadine trellises

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pics of trellis for muscadines

oh those a gorgeous...just what he needed.

thanks EG!

o
muscadines trellis

ooops, i forgot to ask...how did you construct the trellis and what type of wire is that. How high is the post etc.?
Krintis!

o

Krintis - the 4x4 posts are concreted in the ground 12" deep. I located 2 of them about 15 to 20 feet away from one another, then attached the cross pieces with deck screws. Once I had this part finished, I installed deck screws into the top of the cross pieces- so I would have something to fasten the electric fence wire to. I fastened it at one end, then stretched it pretty tight, wrapping the wire around the screw a couple of times.The height of the posts need to be 4 to 5 ft ideally. I wanted to make mine at least 6 to 7 ft for ease of picking the grapes. Even though it would be perfect for me, because of my size- I realized that no one else would be able to pick them. Oh well, it sux to be big!

EG

o

AWESOME!! yours looks nice, mine are just starting to grow taller, hmmm... can i use vinyl line? i still have some left over from making my clothes line. ya, i'm kinda short!! 5'2 and i swear getting shorter every day!! LOL my daughter is only 6 and is gonna be taller than me in a few years i think! LOL
i haven't been paying enough close attn to the post here, LOL i can't believe i almost missed this!! :'( ~Medo

o

Medo - thanks. October will be the muscadine vines' 3rd birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! During the first 2 or 3 years, it's not uncommon to let them grow unpruned, but next February....they're going to the barber! I'm gonna make them stand up straight, and act like decent, nature - abiding plants. Anyway, if I could have only put the trellises at 7ft tall- it would have been perfect! I could have walked under them, and picked them so effortlessly. BTW, I also have 2 plum trees, 2 pear trees, 2 blueberry bushes, 2 apple trees, and 1/4 acre of wild blackberries. Yay! EG

o
whoops!

Medo, I totally forgot about your question on the clothesline. The only things to consider when choosing some type of wire to use is: durability (due to the elements), and strength (for the weight of the grape bunches)- otherwise, it would work. I feel that if you only wanted to put the trellises, say....10 feet apart from each other - your clothesline will work. But, you would only be able to plant one vine - that simply runs along the wire to the opposite post.

EG

o

ok, i think i can do this, i do know that i'm gonna have to do something this fall no matter what!! LOL you do have alot of tree's!! that's awesome!! we have 3 producing this year blackberry bushes, and 2 thornless raspberry bushes, and 1 very thorny raspberry bush!! 3 of those cherry hedges, got them last year, so far no cherry's :'( 1 dwarf cherry tree, very sour but makes ya go back for more!! LOL kinda sweet sour, my sil say's that its pie making kind, LOL and a chestnut tree some kind that my korean neighbor loves, we have two but the other one is being kinda inhibited sp or right word??? LOL by another tree, hubs has been working to much to get it out, i've been thinking about going out there with the chain saw and doing that myself but knowing my luck i'll get the other tree!! LOL i don't think suni will be happy then!! if i get this done (the trellis) i'll post the photo to show if i done it right?? ~Medo

o

Medo - Yep, i've got alot of stuff around here. When our friends come to the house for the first time, I usually hand 'em a silver bullet (coors light)- take them out to the "area", and jokingly say "welcome to my horticultural experience". They're like freaking out and stuff. You've got alot of stuff also! I tried a couple of raspberry bushes in the spring, and they obviously didn't want any part of the " experience". They died on me, and I yanked them. Try planting a santa rosa plum tree- they taste so good, you'll want to slap yourself continuously, while eating one. Post a photo of the trellis when you get done with it, i'm sure you'll do just fine with it.

EG

o

Hello!
I have a ? concering a trellis. So once you read this you will know I'm a girly girl. Ok I have 1 acre fenced in and I mostly want to block out the world. Here is my idea. I want to encorporate my chain link fence with some pvc pipe. My son is 6'5 so I'm going for 7ft. I think if I use pvc pipe for the base of the trellis and connect it to the existing fence post then use um not chicken wire but wire fence material simular for the top hopefully between the Jasmain and the grapes that will work? I will use pvc for the whole trellis on the left connect an elbow to make the top and then connect the pvc to the post of the existing fence then place the fence material over the top like a canopy. I'm hoping to just block out the world and eat my rewards as well. Qestions, comments, sugestions?

o

ok when you planted your raspberry plants, did you let the roots show?? the farmer who gave me mine, said that they don't like to have any sun or air on them, so when i transplanted, i just left pleny of dirt around them, dropped them into their new homes and they did great, ohhh ya, and i give them the ignore treatment!! LOL that seems to work great, and tabor mow's over them once!! LOL
i will haveta try them plums, where didya get them??

ots that sounds cool to me!! but i'm no engineer!! LOL i really LOVE your name!!! especially the twisted!!! LOL getting a kick outta that!! LOL ~Medo

o

Onetwistedshorty - I can help you figure something out....no problem. I understand that you want to basically create some type of extension for the existing fence, with a type of wire mesh on it for vines to run up - and cover, creating more privacy. Correct? Please tell me how far apart your existing posts are, and how high the fence is - and we'll go from there.

Medo - I planted them deep. It was a couple of plants that I Got from Lowes, and just bought them, and put them in the ground. I may try them again next year. Maybe you can help me figure out what I did wrong. I got the plums at a local nursery. My mother called me today, and asked me if I had any more left....I hated to tell her no, but they are gone for the year.

EG

o

ya, some blueberry's that i got from lowes died, sucked majorly!!
hmmmm.....were the roots good?? did the plant look good?? water good?? ~Medo

o

Medo - the roots were all packed in some kind of sawdust or something. I guess they looked ok, I really wouldn't know a good one if I saw one. Oh yeah....I put the water to them. They just died. Maybe i'll try them again next spring.

EG

o

hmmm....sometimes they dont really die, did you dispose of them?? or leave them there? i wouldn't be surprised if they came back. its kinda like the honeysuckle, they kinda go dormant. i thought they were dead, i just left them, but in the fall they had leaves and such, man was i ever shocked. so i just leave stuff and its amazing what "comes" back to life!! LOL if ya need anymore, i have plenty!! LOL there's a farmer down the street who gives me alot of black raspberries, i think they are blackberries, but they are huge!! LOL he say's he prunes them and such. tabor mow's them so now i put tires around them so he can't!! crazy kid!! LOL ~Medo

o

Yeah, I planted my blueberry bushes and did an ok job of making an acidic soil, but I planted in fall and shortly after, one plant "died". All the leaves fell off and it was a bunch of twigs. Come spring though, it grew back with a vengence. Most blueberries are deciduous bushes. The other one I got is semi evergreen. Confused the heck out of me. Could be your problem. Not sure. Mine were in dirt, not bare root though I don't think it should matter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

o

Dormant....hmmmm - ok, I may try them again next spring. They were only $5 each. I pulled the other ones, and had my own summer olympic games with them. I grabbed them when it came to the javelin throw....

EG

o

dang crazy man!!! LOL what the heck were ya thinking!!?? geeze i bet it was thinkn "what?? i just wanted some rest time!!! wait, wait!! i'll wake up!!" now wouldn't ya crap if it was growing good somewhere, werever ya threw it!! LOL
now, that'd be my luck!! He he he he to me, the wierdest things happen!! if its on its last leg, i tell it, hurry up and die, and just keep telling it that, it stays alive, in reality its my carbon dioxide that's helping it along, LOL
talla sings to her seedlings and hers turns out awesome!! she sings fairie songs and such man they just grow like weeds!! LOL ~Medo

i really like your adventure sinfonian!! some of your guys's and gals the way ya'll put things and note the way you have went thru and done the gardening is wayyy awesome!! thank you for letting us peak in!!! ~Medo

o

Well...it looked.....dead. Hey I gave them every chance to show some life, I really did. But, hee hee, They were very aerodynamic ☺. The squirrels were like..."look out"! Anyway, i'll try them again in the spring.

o

cool!! just remember the dormant thing if it don't seem to work out!! LOL i bet!! and i bet them squirrels know the duck and run really well!! LOL ~Medo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here