Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using 1/2 whiskey barrels

Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 08 at 22:11

I have 4 of these that are empty and I'd sure love to use them to plant some more squash. In one area, I could easily plant several in one and then just let them trail over. Another area (next to my garden, but closer to the lawn, I'd have to keep things more contained so that DH could still mow the lawn without too many obstacles (so maybe in those 2 a few bush squash?

I'd like to do zuchinni in the trailing ones and yellow straight neck in the 2 by the garden.

MY QUESTION: Do you think I could get 2 in each of the one's by the garden? I could plant them at the outter sides opposite each other to allow them to grow up and somewhat over but hopefully far enough away from each other so that they have space to do their thing?

It would seem like too big of a container to house just one plant...so I"m hoping that I can squeeze them in?

Any thoughts? personal experience?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using 1/2 whiskey barrels

I have a bush yellow squash and three bush beans in a smaller pot. They are doing very well and the squash bugs haven't found that squash plant yet (SHHHHHHHH).

I planted carrots and radishes in one half barrel this year and cucumbers with potatoes in another. My radishes did well and have been harvested and I got my first cuke from the one barrel already. However, my taters didn't do so hot. The plants grew, flowered and died, but there were only about 10 quarter-sized taters in the whole barrel. I'm waiting for the cuke to do something before I dump that barrel to see if there are more down in there.

I'd try the two squash in each pot and see how it did. If you're growing from seed, it's fairly inexpensive and you can always pull one if it gets over-crowded. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here