Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msyoohoo

Weird, weird growing season

msyoohoo
15 years ago

Some have experienced an incredibly dry season, others (myself included)incredibly wet weather. Last Friday we had 5 1/2" of rain in a very short period. The result is that everything is totally out of whack. Huge tomato plants with green tomatoes. Pumpkin vines are about 20-25' with one piddly pumpkin on each. Swan gourds are 25-30' long with one grape sized gourd. Nights are unseasonably cool. I actually saw a maple tree turning already.

What a bust!

Comments (16)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Yeah, I have to agree - it has been a weird growing season, especially for us weird people, that have weird gardens, and hang out with weird people. I can definitely sense fall arriving. Man, talk about weird....

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

You're weird, EG

But to keep this on topic, yes it has been an odd season. Here we went from "unseasonably cool" (translate: freezing our butts off) to "warmer than normal" (translate: 107F is not considered "warm"). Day before yesterday it was 105F, yesterday the temp dropped by 15 degrees and we had one heck of a thunderstorm, with lots of rain. This morning it's 20 degrees cooler than it was this time yesterday, and the wind is blowing. By Thursday it's supposed to be back up in the high ninties! How are my poor plants supposed to know what to do?

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Granny - Gee, thanks for the compliment! Woo hoo! I was always told that there's nothing wrong with calling somebody what they were. As far as your plants go, I suggest that you "get down with your bad self", and start doing the "granny clampett diggin' taters dance". Here, i'll whistle you a tune...â«â«â«â«â«â«â«â«â«

EG

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Granny- I was whistling the wrong tune, that was the rain dance tune. Ok, here's the right one.â«â¼â«â¼â«

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

No, No EG! That rain might be good for the garden, but I'm heading for the fair tonight to watch "Chicago" (the band, not the show) and I don't want to get wet!

But it was a pretty tune, anyway *g*

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• medontdo
    15 years ago

LOL i do know what you mean!! but i'll take the fall weather anytime!! its 77 still, its supposed to be 84, i don't think it'll get there today. not really. but i like that better than 96-99. :') so when we get back home i can turn off the air!! LOL he hates the humidity, and even that's been low!! YAY!!!! i get to mow some more manuer to fill that other bed!! WOO HOO and watch tha ol man gripe at me!! LOL Hee Hee Hee just makes me happy!! **big grinn** LOL ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

msyoohoo - the frequency of rain here has been excellent. It's probably one of the most consistent years that I can remember. However, the danger of frost on May 15 caused me to get everything out late. I feel that my harvest numbers are smaller than they could have been. I can definitely see signs of fall already, especially with the trees.

EG

• carolynp
    15 years ago

We've lost 15 days off our growing season because we had snow the second week of May. That's really unusual out here. I must be near you granny. I'm in PNW, too. Was in the 100's last week: I spent every 100+ day at the pool, woot! Yesterday and today, it's been in the low to mid-70's. I hope this means we won't get frost till November.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

my dream is 70-80's all year long!! that would be great!! what's hijacking a thread?? LOL i've never heard of such an incredibly crazy thing!! ya know thats the internet for ya, its there for everyone!! geeze if ya didn't want it hijacked, don't put it there!! ok mrs. opinionated stepping down. :') LOL ~Medo
    p.s. yes, we're very picky about who's thread we hijack!! LOL **big grinn** LOL :')

• emagineer
    15 years ago

Tis' interesting that others in very different growing areas are having the same experience. My plants are huge, with little produce evolving. Finally had 3 tomatoes turn this week, there are dozens waiting, growing, but all green. And I just picked 3 cucumbers with no sign of more to come.

Our weather dropped from high 90s (no rain) for a month to high 60s this week and downpours. I didn't check the low temps, usually drops 20 degrees at night. Even with the change, the garden had plenty of time to produce. With Sept. 2 weeks away and not unusual to see snow during the month, I just don't have a lot of hope for the garden. The norm would be to clear the garden mid Sept.

Even my neighbor mentioned that half of the seeds she planted (flower/veggies) never grew, which was the same with me. We are not novices, lush gardens are the norm. What is up with all of this?

• medontdo
    15 years ago

did you try epomsalt and tums with the tomato plants? that would be 1T ep and 5tums per plant. a famer who grows them for his harvest to sell says that's what he does to make a great yeild. so i tried it this year, and they are great!! :') one i forgot to do that to, i just added it to the top and water'd it good and well it started producing, now we are waiting on one more!! LOL ~Medo

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Tums, like in the product that is sold over the counter for stomach issues and heartburn? Is there another thread I can read about that explains this?

~Angela

• medontdo
    15 years ago

yep, this very thing!! LOL i'm not sure, you can ask in the tomato forum, they might know of it. i think he said its the calcium in it. i know they told me when i was pregnant to take tums for the calcium. ~Medo

• medontdo
    15 years ago

its a site on here and i found out something i didn't know!! LOL http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg0506054611573.html
    so i'm gonna finish reading it but thought i'd post it befor i forgot what i was doing!! LOL **big grinn** ~Medo

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Thanks, Medo. I will read up on that. I saved it to come back to later. It's taken me 4 hours to read 5 posts because of the kids, etc., so I'm just giving up for awhile. LOL

~Angela

• medontdo
    15 years ago

your welcome!! ~Medo