Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fenwayscott

Just Getting Started

fenwayscott
9 years ago

I have enjoyed many of the posts I have read on this site and have bookmarked it. I love the way this virtual community commits to helping each other out in a positive way. I am just getting started with our backyard. I am trying to make it so cool that all of the kids in the neigborhood want to be here. This area of the yard was overgrown with runners from an invasive bush on the other side of the fence. That is the primary reason I a putting down pavers. I chose to modify the size of the boxes for a variety of reasons but looks and depth were the primary drivers. The boxes are 14 inches deep. I have (2) 2X3, (1) 3X4, and (1) 4X4. I am thinking about modifying the 4X4 to include a custom Potato Box in the far back corner. I will have an area for a potting bench and another small area that will keep a compost tumbler. I will also be installing a drip system that will run on my properties sprinkler system. While I build this, My son and I have grown radishes and Cucumbers with a lot of success. The smile on his face was worth all of the hard work and we can't wait to use these to supplement our Vegan household with fresh produce!!!

All comments are welcome. Let me know if you see me making any mistakes.

Comments (5)

• fenwayscott
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another Picture

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

Sorry about the late response, but I have been doing lots of other things. First thing that I notice is that there is very little space between the fence and the box. Will that be practical? If you don't want to do too much walking there, consider have vines fill that area (if cukes, then you might also install a trellis thing to make them easier to pick).

Got that off my chest. Get some soil in there so that the worms can get going on it. It should be ready to plant in the early spring. Peas can go in early and they can be fixing some nitrogen in the soil so that you can follow with something like peppers. Lettuce and radishes can also go in early. When those items are done, then the soil will be warming up enough to get other veggies in the same spots.

Are you considering using one of the small boxes for nothing but herbs? Dill will self-sow, so that will work; oregano, thyme, chives, sage, etc. are good to have and don't need a lot of attention. You can add the annuals as you need them.

Put it on paper, see if it will work. Don't grow it unless you will eat it when ready or you are willing to preserve it some way.

A comment about kids in the yard. My granddaughters were here over this past weekend and they were thrilled to hear me talk about what grows and what doesn't. Don't pretend that all is perfect. Let the kids know that nature can turn on you; later they will appreciate the lesson. The girls really liked smelling the herbs. So many different aromas that they are not exposed to when they shop with their mother. Take pictures of things as they grow so that you can remind the kids what things looked like 60 or 90 days ago.

Jim

• fenwayscott
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Jim...thanks for responding. Winter kept me away. I have a separate herb garden in another part of the yard. That is good advice for the kid. I ended up finishing this project late in the season so I did not plant last year. It is Spring now and this is how it is shaping up.

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    8 years ago

I like the looks of your covers. What material did you use to cover them. Are they on hinges (looks like it from here).

• syntria
    8 years ago

Those raised beds are beautiful! Absolutely amazing with the bricks. I envy your smaller more manageable beds. I went with 8 4x8 raised beds. I hope to do some brick around mine too, wish I had planned it ahead of time like you did. I'd love to see more updates on your garden.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!