Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socalgirl_10

What do you use for grids?

socalgirl-10
15 years ago

Do you all have stable and permenant grids on your gardens? What did you use and how did you you attach it?

Comments (21)

• crystabel
    15 years ago

I ended up going with thick string. It was just too expensive to buy the wooden slats after all the money I had already put into it. If I had built nice cedar beds I think I would spend the extra on the wooden grids. But since I'm not even sure I'll like gardening I went cheap. I pounded a few nails at 1ft intervals and wound the string back and forth across each side to form squares. In a few years if I'm still gardening I will upgrade :) . Of course, according the the book I don't have an official sfg now since I used string LOL.

• alison70
    15 years ago

I have a recycled plastic bed frame, I didn't want to put holes into it and I was also feeling a little broke by this time also, so I used garden pins and string. I have to straighten it ever once in a while and it will have to be replaced next year for sure. It works and once things fill in you don't see it.

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

I used fishing net line. I pick it up from an industrial supplier and it is $13 for a roll that lasts me a long time. I think it is 100 meters in a roll.

I have some of this for supports in another garden area that has been outside for 3 years and still as strong as can be.

I just used Roofing Nails( till I ran out :) ) to hold it.

So far I am happy with this but need a few years to be sure!

• kitkat5505
    15 years ago

I just used twine and bamboo sticks stuck in the soil to tie it on. I was going as cheap as possible this year since it's my very first year gardening and I wasn't sure how it would work out, so I didn't want to spend a ton. The twine is working very well, my only problem is my boys like to pull up the sticks holding it down lol, so next year I'll be putting in something they can't remove so easily.

• fishymamas
    15 years ago

Yardsticks. My beds are 3ft deep so I have yardsticks that were $1 from the fabric store, thin coat of leftover deck sealer, and screwed them down. However expect to get odd looks when buying out all the yardsticks at once. (I'm a teacher and had on the school shirt, so they assumed for the class).
    Hubby also had the boys at his work make me some grid planks... 1 ft square scraps of cabnetry wood, drilled with 1, 4, 9, 16 holes at the proper spacings, with the kids we put the planks down, stick a pick-up-stick in each hole, lift the plank, and the kids can use the sticks to show them where to put the seeds.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I used natural garen twine, and secured it with those galvinized staples that I pounded into the tops of my beds. That way the kids don't poke themselves on whatever secures the string in place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i will be using twine. and use a staple gun to staple the twine down. they have different kinds of cheap ones at walmart. when i run out, i will get me some yarn. :') ~Medo

• jeni3004
    15 years ago

I used eyelet hook thingies LOL and twine!!!

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Garden twine and push pins. Sometimes I stray from sfg just a little bit and use my finger or the rake handle, but I'm a very good judge of distances, LOL!

Annie's Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• photopilot
    15 years ago

The wooden slats described in the book are 44cents at Home Depot so about $3 for one 4x4 bed.

• sparks5478
    15 years ago

I use 1/2" wide plastic strapping tape stapled into the top frame of my boxes. It's yellow so it's easy to see, it's very sturdy (I found that twine always decomposed before the end of the season) and it's reusable so it's environmentally PC. Staples usually carries it in the packing section.

• the_seventh_worm
    15 years ago

String, deck screws. (Actually, for the first SFG bed that I made, I'd used the slats as described in The Book. But then I thought, why be anal, and then degraded to string.)

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I'm a weenie, I just guesstimate. I know this kind of thing makes Bartholomew nuts, but hey, he hasn't visited my house since I started anyway.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

carolynp, I agree! I don't think he'll be coming to my house to check out my garden soil, either! But, hey...I do use his spacing guides (but sometimes they end up looking like rows...)

To stay ON TOPIC (ahem), there is no way my zucchini and crookneck squash can grow in less than a 4'x4' square, so that's two beds that need no grids. Next year I'm actually going to grow them off to the side of the beds on their own area, 'cause they are overtaking my pathways.

Annie's Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• mirindas
    15 years ago

Mine had to be "pretty" so I used 4Â bamboo sticks held in a grid by floral wire.

• tola_in_texas
    15 years ago

Photopilot,
    Where did you find the 44 cent slats at Home Depot. I went to Home Depot, Lowes, Gibsons, and a couple of hardware stores and could only find expensive trim. I ended up using a heavy string and staples. It has worked since the spring, but I would like a wood frame.

• duhast
    15 years ago

There's redwood slats at HD in the garden dept, should be near the RR ties and the pre-made redwood lattice.

• mauirose
    15 years ago

i drilled small holes through the sides of my tin bed to string twine through. If i'm still sfging when it rots i'll replace it with fishing line.

• oxonhammer
    15 years ago

We don't have Home Depot here in the UK, and couldn't find any wooden slats for anything less than £2 (about 4 of your good dollars)! I also have a six foot long bed, so more of a problem. In the end, I had to use large staples which I hammered into the top of my bed every 30 inches, and then threaded binding twine (in bright blue) between them.

Seems to look OK, and works alright. Although is starting to get a bit loose now, so my squares are getting a tad distorted :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: My SFG Blog

• ChristianCowboy
    11 years ago

This is my first year in Square Foot Gardening. I research all aslpects of materials for creating the grid on the upper surface of my boxes. My boxes, contrary to most, are very large (8' W X 15' L X 1' Deep).

Home Depot caries a 1 X 2 X 8 wooden trim piece (pressure treated using the new method, which contains no arsenic. Their price for the trim piece is $1.09 each

Lowes Home Improvement caries a green colored Twine, called Blue Hawk 1/16-in x 90-ft Twisted Jute Rope. Their Item #: 349247. Their price is $1.38 per spool.

Being new to the Square Foot Gardening concept, I will test the waters this year with both products, in separte boxes, to see what works best. Either way, it appears to be relatively inexpensive either way. I do agree with many, this is a great concept, but the costs associated with the initial build is expensive.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can from the forum discussions.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting