Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexania

First SFG - Lessons Learnt [Winter]

alexania
10 years ago

So as we're heading into Spring here in the Southern Hemisphere, my garden is on it's last legs. The lettuce is bolting, the rocket is... rocketing(?) and so forth. This was my very first attempt at SFG, and I learnt a lot.

Firstly, if there still anyone here who doubts the awesomeness, don't, it's awesome. This was by far my greatest success at growing veggies.

I don't have access to the greatest variety of vegetables here, so I ended up planting what I could find.

Here's what I took away from the experience:

• Unless you're some magic seed-growing person, just buy seedlings and save yourself a lot of pain. One day perhaps I'll conquer the whole "grow from seed" thing, but this is not that day.

• Broccoli gets HUGE. Seriously, HUGE. Make sure you take note of the direction the sun will be coming from (in WINTER, this part's important) and plant the broccoli at the back.

• Get some kind of insect screen or something. It's so horribly depressing to watch your giant, mutant, broccolis grow the whole Winter, anxiously waiting for them to flower, only to have them completely eaten down to a little stump by greedy butterfly spawn.

• Butterflies are not pretty, they're evil horrible creatures.

• Don't plant rocket. Seriously just don't. I don't know if the rocket just really liked their spot, but between the rocket and the broccoli, my garden became a shade garden.

• Plant more lettuce. I only had one square of lettuce and that was probably the thing I used the most.

• Monkeys LOVE onion plants. Unless you plan on protecting your onions/green onions in some fashion, don't bother. They'll just pull them out and chew on them.

• Spiders can and will lurk is the eldritch recesses of your mutant broccoli. You've been warned.

And that's that for Winter, now to figure out what on earth to plant for spring.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES