Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kr222

The Bug Has Bitten...Again.

kr222
14 years ago

Here we go again. It was around this time last year that I decided to invest in three raised beds to try square foot gardening. Turns out that the bug has bitten again this season. My peppers, garlic, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, and celery have done so well in them I decided that two more beds are going up this weekend. They will fill in the last of the sunny area in that part of the yard. I'll still have some time to plant some Jericho and Little Gem romaine before the season is over. Plus they will give me more room to plant some garlic in mid-October. Has anyone else been bitten again or even for the first time?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden

Comments (12)

• katy_f
    14 years ago

Oh, yes, I've been bitten, too! I've added "build more raised beds" to poor husband's To Do list for the fall. He isn't complaining too much, because he enjoys eating what comes from the beds. : )

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

HA! I went from 18 sqft last fall to 204 sqft this fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Corner Yard

• kr222
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's quite a jump in garden size. I just put up two more new raised beds yesterday. I can't wait until October to toss in my garlic. Lettuce and radishes are going into the other squares this weekend.

• buffalowormsfarmer
    14 years ago

i started with one 4x4 last year and a small traditional garden.

now i have 7 4x4 raised beds.

whoooo

ron

• kr222
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I started out with three 3'x3' beds this season. Now I'm up to 5 as of yesterday. The rest of my garden space isn't technically a SFG. It is just very intensively planted.
    Kim

• heather38
    14 years ago

oh! thank goodness I am normal??? I want to go from 2 beds of 4x8 and 1 of 7 x2'1/2 (Old ikea toddler extendable bed which died and no longer fit for purpose) to 8 beds 6 of the 8 x 4 and tell me if I am mad! But I want a round bed in the middle of the straight beds to add some interest, but due to the prohiditive cost of these, I saw a preformed paddling/wading pool in walmart 6 foot diameter for $10, my idea is to put some kind of feature in the middle, as their is no way I would be able to reach I struggle at 2 foot dispite my long arms for a lady being 5ft 8, I am thinking if it can take the weight of wqter for that volume it maybe able to take the weight of soil ect, obviously I would punch holes in the bottom to add drainage, but has anyone tried this? although I suppose for $10 and I imagine in the next couple of weeks cheaper still as they have already reduced the price of larger pool, I could take the risk, but I would be soo annoyed if it collapsed half way through the season! taking my plants with it!

• nancyinla
    14 years ago

Me too - glad I'm not alone! I haven't done the kiddie pool, but a friend of mine did and it's been amazing. It's full of onions and herbs and they went crazy. I'm jealous and going to copy for next year!

• heather38
    14 years ago

oh thanks for that, nancyinla thought it was a mad idea, but at the same time logical! if you get my drift! I will invest in 2, one for the plants, one for MY children, their blow up pool lasted 2 days on our stoney soil before it got punctured!

• kr222
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The kiddie pool sounds like a good idea. My only concern would be how it would hold up in winter. Would it crack with freezes and refreezes?

• heather38
    14 years ago

I thought about that, as I am certain I would be too lazy to unload it in the winter! but at that price I would take about 20 years to come even close to the cheapest roundish bed I have seen.
    hopefully in that time, I will a) be able to construct a prettier round bed or b)got enough money to buy one! :)

• kr222
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So true! I think your round bed will turn out great. I know the craft stores cell Crylon paint for plastics that you could use to make it match your other beds. Does anyone know if it would be safe to grow food in something that had only the outside coated with paint? Something to ponder...

• defrost49
    14 years ago

I've been having a zucchini cook and bake-a-thon. Last night I made a zucchini gratin that required 1/4 cup each of fresh oregano and fresh parsley. The flavor was wonderful and I thought to myself how wonderful it is to have our own fresh ingredients even if I have to find people willing to take zucchini.
    I doubled the size of our garden this year but the first two beds were two side so I plan to take over more space from the lawn so I have enough area to split the original two beds into four.
    I think a circular pool would work nicely. If you had nasturtiums cascading over the edge, maybe it wouldn't matter what color it is.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner