Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sszretter

Bokashi Composting and SFG

sszretter
15 years ago

I am learning about square foot gardening, and was wondering what people think about using Bokashi composting with it?

My main possible concern is that I bury the food/bokashi in the ground, then later dig up the broken down material (compost). This means DIRT is mixed in with the compost.

IS THIS OK? (to introduce this dirt)

I get the impression from the SFG book that the idea is to have pure soil (compost/vermiculite/peat)..

Comments (7)

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I've never heard of this. More research for me I think, lol. I don't think the idea is to have pure compost. I think the point is to have homemade compost. Bartholomew is trying to introduce a method more than an ideal, imho. That is to say, he is suggesting a method that can be as inexpensive as you need it to be as he is also showing this method in third world nations. I think he would think your composting method is fantastic as it calls for little or no cash outlay. One you put it into the beds is when you're going to want to be careful with it in terms of using compost and the other components. Realize that we all tweak "mel's mix" to some extent. Many people can't afford the vermiculite or the peat moss and choose to use some level of compost. John uses just compost and his journal spot makes it look like he's doing great.
    http://www.jbest123.thegardenjournals.org/

I am going to start vermiculture soon here and you begin composting by adding plain soil in addition to the other items. There is an awesome composting forum here where they point out you need many sources (ie: plain soil, food items, plant items, poop...) to make great compost. I suspect they would give you the best information.

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

I have a compost bin in my backyard that is way simpler even than burying and digging up the scraps. I used an old garbage can WITH A LID (that's important) and put holes in the sides and bottom of the can. To start the composting, I added a half bag of cow compost that I had left over from mixing my original SFG, then I started adding in kitchen scraps, grass, plants I'd pulled that didn't make it or bolted too soon, chicken poo from an aunt's chicken pen...basically anything that was organic.

The only thing I don't/didn't add is meat or meat scraps. However, I've since found out that you can add those, just not if critters can get into your bin.

It's supposed to be rolled once a week and watered regularly, but I'm lazy, so mine gets rolled and watered about every two weeks. In under 3 months, the can went from crammed full of "stuff" to half full with very rich-looking dirt.

Since I'm in FL, my planting season doesn't really begin until Sept. 1. If it quits raining here, I plan to add the compost to my SFG this weekend in order to start planting next weekend. This lets me avoid the problem of pulling up dirt with my compost and helps me avoid stray grass seed in my compost.

BTW, mine has never given off a bad odor, so, by dumb luck, I've managed to keep the greens and browns balanced. Hubby also drinks tons of coffee, which has probably helped things cook down faster.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

you can also add urine if you don't take meds, to make it "cook" faster. and i add meat(grinded in the food processor) to mine simply because it helps draw in some of the bugs that is needed to decompose. that's what i did on this one, its a test for us, and boy has it been fun!! ya there is maggots, but that's part of decomposing. it don't gross me out, i look at it as science. now if it was in my house, a whole nother story.
    i think your idea is great. i do love it. i do the method like the above poster only i use the plastic 55 gal barrels.
    ~Medo

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I did some research into bokashi when I was starting to compost. I'm using a variation of it for an under-counter kitchen composter. I started with the crumbs from the bottom of the Mini-Wheats cereal box to activate it and just keep throwing my kitchen scraps in it, along with my tissues and paper towels. I don't monitor the brown/green ratio, but it never smells and I only take it out when the bugs get too bad for my wife. I don't burry it, but rather mix it into my compost bin. It works very well!

Frankly I don't see anything wrong with burrying it and then adding it to your garden. You may introduce weed seeds, but they fly in on their own anyway. Good luck and enjoy your garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure!

• dutchess_9
    15 years ago

I started using bokashi a few months ago and I too plan to use it in my garden.

Do you have extensive knowledge or experience with bokashi? I made 50lbs of it and it seems to be doing what it is supposed to do. I ordered EM from a business here in the US.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bokashi

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

I've been doing this for years, although not calling it "Bokashi" in my mind, as I don't like critters eating food scraps in my compost bins.

Find a plastic 30-gal garbage can and lid on sale somewhere, take your biggest drill bit and drill holes in bottom and on sides 1/2 way up, maybe 25-30 of them. Bury can halfway down and take some of the soil from hole and put ~2" back in can. Cover. Put in your kitchen scraps, turn ~2 weeks. Occasionally I put in a little dirt - it doesn't matter if you are putting this compost back into your yard beds, presuming your beds have dirt in them (you wouldn't want to use this hydroponically ;o) ). In warm climates, you can start using same year. Here in Colo, it takes a year or more. Occasionally when I find a worm I'll drop in can.

HTH

Dan

• shebear
    15 years ago

Well the biggest reason for using Bokashi is because you can compost meat, fish and dairy. Even bones. I believe this was probably developed in order to deal with wastes....not necessarily to make compost. This would be perfect for off the grid living. Between vericomposting, composting and Bokashi composting, you would get rid of about 99% of your waste. Oil based waste would be left but you could dispose of that quarterly.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County