Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeds - in ground vs. not

Posted by sbmw SoCal (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 13:29

Here in Southern California, we're sweating out the heat wave and thinking about planting our autumn vegetable gardens. Sometime soon I'll start some seeds. I'll probably do a mix of starting them in small pots and of starting them directly in the raised beds. Are there pros/cons of either method, besides the high risk of the in-pot seeds drying out in our hot dry climate? (yes, even if I shade them and mist them several times a day). I think I've read that some vegs do better if transplanted and some don't like it at all. Thought I'd see what the wisdom of this forum thinks. thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeds - in ground vs. not

I am not an expert since this is my first year, but I live in S. Nev and have temp in the 100's here. So I seem to have better luck with starting most of my seeds inside using one of those seed starter flats with a clear cover. As soon as they pop up, they are transferred to small pot (plastic or styrofoam cup)which is labeled and dated and placed in a sunny window. Within a few days, most will then go outside into a mostly shady spot and then will be moved to a sunnier location when the second set of leaves are fully formed. I tried germinating directly in the bed and although several came up quickly, they seemed to get eaten by the insects too quickly and few remain.

o
RE: seeds - in ground vs. not

Google temperature seed germination. The following article has a chart that shows % of seeds germinated at different temperatures. In parenthesis () is how many days it took to achieve that % of germination.
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html

There are not too many things that cannot be transplanted, most do well, especially if you take care not to disturb the roots. You will definitely have to make sure the small pots do not get dried out. Also, harden off the seedlings before transplanting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here