Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
engineeredgarden

EG's Funhouse - come on in! 8/21

engineeredgarden
15 years ago

Oh god.....I just couldn't stand it any longer. I kept looking for the door that was labeled "worthless information, happy times, and loads of fun" but, couldn't find a recent one. So....guess what? I installed my own door. Hee Hee. Man, this room has lots of potential....hmmm...no ceiling fans, though. They hurt like crap! La...La...La....♫♫♫♫. Grow lights over there..work bench for finishing granny's propulsion system over there.......hmm...lots of pictures! Let's see, spongebob on that wall, shrek, crash bandicoot, spiderman, and daria over there....Uh oh! Somebody's knocking on the door....i'll see who it is.

EG

Comments (92)

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nope, I have no idea what the plant is yet. LOL BUT, thanks for the great idea to post it here and see what you guys will name my new baby plant. hee hee

So, EG, what kind of a new puppy is that rascal? Did you bring him to the party? I don't see him... should I check out back by the pool?..... darn... I didn't bring my bikini like Granny and Laura!

BTW, EG, awesome okra... (sorry about going off-topic for a bit, just couldn't help myself... I saw your big melons before, now your okra... a lot for a woman to be jealous of there....)

~Angela

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

angelady, did you miss his bell peppers? Those were some BIG hooters!

I have spent the entire day experimenting. Come into Granny's labratory and see what's been going on....

We'll be right back, after the break. (Dinner's almost ready).

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

OK, kids. Here is what happens when you have too much time on your hands.

EXPERIMENT 1: Made seed tapes out of strips of newspaper. Placed dots of glue on one strip, at 4" intervals and dots of cornstarch/water mixture on the other. Glue was the easiest to work with. Placed a lettuce seed on each dot and planted them in bed #3, Elmers Glue to the north, cornstarch to the south. Covered very lightly with compost.

EXPERIMENT 2: Placed glue dots at 2" intervals, staggered rows, on one side of 1 ply of tissue, put a carrot seed on each dot, folded the unglued side over the seeds. Messy, hard to pick up seeds with tweezers, glue seeps through tissue. Planted the half-square in the herb garden. Covered very lightly with compost.

EXPERIMENT 3: Mixed 1/2 cup water with 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch, brought it to a boil, removed from heat and cooled. Stirred in quite a few carrot seeds (so it looked like I'd peppered the mixture) and poured it into a clean, empty squeeze bottle (Hershey's chocolate syrup). Made six shallow furrows in two square feet of the east (center) bed #3, 3 furrows per square. Shook up the mixture and squirted it as evenly as possible into the furrows. Covered very lightly with compost. Easy. The hole in the Hershey bottle was a bit too large (I actually started off with 4 furrows in each square, but ran out of goop), so if this works I will use a different type of squeeze bottle.

EXPERIMENT 4: Planted two rows, closely spaced, of spinach to compare with sfg method of planting. Wide row vs sfg, same bed #3.

I won't be here to see the carrots mature, but Cookie Buns will have some nice carrot tops if they grow. I hope the squirt bottle method works, as that was by far the easiest.

Mr. H thought I had lost my freaking mind, so I had to cook him an extra nice dinner tonight. Grilled salmon fillets, pan roasted new potatoes with rosemary (from my herb bed), steamed fresh green beans (my garden) with sweet onion tomato relish (delicious, tomato from my garden) and fresh corn on the cob. The cherry pie comes later (Wal-Mart...*g*)

Granny

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Sorry guys! Had to spend the day at the corn festival, lol. Nope, I am not joking. I haven't finished my harvest yet, so adding numbers is difficult.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i absolutely love that idea granny!! i wonder if your neighbor will let ya know how that works out!? ~Medo

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Medo, I should still be here for the lettuce and spinach, and the rabbit will take care of the baby carrots. That is, if they come up at all *g*

I'll probably have the garden pretty well cleared out by the time we leave, except for tomatoes. I'll leave the ones that are up against the fence, as the neighbors can reach over and pick the last of them. Her son will be replacing that smashed fence after we leave, and we've decided we want a gate in it. Good fences make good neighbors, but friendly gates make friendlier neighbors. A gate would give her easy access to our garden and give me easy access to their leaves...they have a LOT of big trees, and those leaves are like gold for a garden!

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Medo - yeah...tee hee, it is a weird, freaky box! But...Hey! I'm weird too! Yeah, the okra was taller than me. It sucked to hafta pull them babies....

Angela - I got a full blooded German Shepherd, it's a she. She's gonna grow up, and protect my little buddy (my cat, who is my best friend)Right now, they just wrestle the whole time that i'm out at the garden. The puppy was dragging my corn stalks around today....little stinker.

Granny - are you sniffing that glue? lol That's alot of tinkering. I'm glad you liked my big hooters! I really don't mind them being 2 different colors. Can I see your lab?

Carolyn - corn festival...I bet that's a good one to go to. We just had our watermelon festival last week, and there were tons of people! OMG, and I was eating everything in site.

Granny -whatcha doin' with them leaves?

EG

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

Anniesgrannie, You said something about not being able to find radish seeds. I bought several 10 cent packages of them at wally world this summer. Want me to mail you one? No charge. :)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

EG, I'd be happy to show you my lab, but he died a few years back. I'll see if I can find a photo of him. Oh, you meant THAT lab!

EG, I'm going to run over those leaves with the lawnmower to shred them, then they will go on top of all the garden beds and be topped with some composted manure. Come spring, they should have broken down to make wonderful, rich compost. I'll dig 'em in just a bit and have boooootiful planting beds!

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Granny - ok, that will sure make some good soil. I have more leaves than I could possibly compost. I could easily fill a trailer truck! Yah...I'll probably run over a big pile with the lawnmower myself, after they fall from the trees. Last year, I just put whole oak leaves in the barrel....they took forever to break down. Anyway, since we're talking about compost, my barrel is half full now - of a little bit of everything, and has been making since last fall. I'm planning on using it to perk up the garden in the early spring. Yay! You remember the "hurdles" garden, don't ya? I bet you thought about it during the olympics....tee hee. Wanna see my lab? I use mine to cook up all kinds of weird things. All you gotta do, is click on that little link down there. Hee hee

Here is a link that might be useful:

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Cool lab, EG! How do you like that smooth top? I'm thinking of getting one for my lab. Mine isn't very old, but a couple of the bunson burners don't work half the time, which is frustrating. I see we have some of the same stuff to work with, although my speciman is whole wheat and yours appears to be white. Our forceps are kept in similar containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1283271}}

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Granny - Yeah, I really like the flat top! No rocking pots! I like yours, as well! Nice pic. I used mine this evening for making 7 quarts of pickles. I got to looking at the amount that came from the fridge, and also from the vines when I removed them - and was like "Shoot far, I'm making pickles out of them!" That's 22 quarts of dill, and 6 quarts of bread and butter this year. We love pickles! Yeah....I got LOTS of tools to work with. My wife has a passion for cooking, and has almost anything you can think of for use in the kitchen.

Where's everybody else at?

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i did post but i think i lost it!! LOL
    i was saying woa baby!! i want one that's just like both of yours together!!! then i can look into the livingroom and say hey!! make sure your getting your work done right!! while i'm fixing dinner, then don't make me come in there and smack ya!! tabor!! leave your sister alone!! talla, dangit!! i told you to leave tabor alone, he has to get his work done, dang you two are worse than two boys!! get your work done!! this school work is easy!! geeze if you two would just do the stuff you'd be done hours ago!! great!!!!! now tha hamburger is burned!! **smiling** its like that sometimes. mostly cuz they like to play to much. the little instigators!! LOL hmmmmm.....don't know where they get THAT from!! LOL and it gets really bad if i leave the room!! LOL
    and don't even mention not being able to not watch her cartoons on dvd!! LOL whew that ol german indian temper comes out!! scary!! LOL
    my son has a passion for cooking, he wants to be a chef when he grows up. last year during homeschooling i let him explore it and learned he is a darned good cook if on a short leash!! LOL ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Medo - I bet I know where they get it from. hmm....I would think that being a chef would be alot of hard work, always on the run, and the heat would be a nuisance. Did you get any veggies planted yet? I've got some planted, and will do even more tomorrow. Woo Hoo! I'm plantin' like crazy! hee hee, I could've sworn that I heard those little broccoli seedlings singing out there this evening. They looked so happy in there! And they're so tiny, sitting in the big, freaky box! Yay!

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Medo, all of my boys are good cooks. Better than their sisters! Two of them began cooking before they were 10 years old. When my youngest was 10, he could whip out a breakfast of bacon, eggs, toast, juice and coffee or cocoa and have everything piping hot and ready at the same time. My second to the oldest boy made the best French Breakfast Puffs! My oldest son worked in Los Angeles as a chef's assistant. My oldest girl is also a good cook, she took classes in restaurant cooking, but ended up being a manager at McDonald's, LOL. Youngest daughter can cook when she wants, but she is so busy managing a 450 unit mobile home park, she seldom has time...they eat a lot of take-out food, unfortunately. Now she's pregnant (Surprise! Surprise! She has one child, 14-years old) so I'm not sure how she's going to handle running that business and a new baby.

Granny

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i don't doubt that!! and talla wants to cook, so i started her out on the microwave and top ramen!! LOL its very easy!! LOL next will be eggs. tabor does steaks and all now. he makes anything better than me. so i don't worry!! LOL **i am actually happy!!** LOL now i need to get that lettuce in and get it going so it will be done so we can have salads!! wooo hooo!!! LOL tomarow we're going back home!! YAY!!! so guess what?? i finally get to plant some food!!! i will be so darned happy!! and i'll be getting some bread made and some tomato's and you know what kinda sandwhiches i'll be eatin!! LOL YA BABY!!! only the very best!!! LOL tomato sandwhiches!! LOL dang i'm gonna miss nice and orderly!! LOL ~Medo

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

Nice lab WG. What did you pay for it? Heeheehee!

Maureen

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I am so p*ssed at Mr. H. I'm really fighting him over buying more boards to make the raspberry beds 12" deep (11", actually). I cannot see going through the work and expense of putting raspberries into a bed that is only 5 1/2" deep over the top of huge underground maple tree roots. I guess what I'll end up doing is tearing one of those new beds apart and cutting it down to the size of the other so I can stack them. I didn't worry about making them all exactly the same size, as the ends were made of chunks of 2x6 that I had left over from the other beds, so I just went with the lengths I had. They vary by an inch or two from bed to bed. I'd rather end up with one nice deep 8-foot bed of raspberries than two shallow ones.

Poop.

Granny

• medontdo
    15 years ago

men!!! ya can just make him a nice ol dinner and then go ahead and get it anyhow!! "onery thinking" but of course i always have ta wait for the hubs on EVERYTHING!!!!! i hate to drive that truck!!! LOL well he did say that you would get that over
    his dead body and ya did and he's still alive, so maybe there's still hope, if he's anything like my ol fart he's just getting a kick outta making ya irritated!! LOL ~Medo

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I don't know, Medo. I usually do whatever I want, but I can read that man like a book after 46 years of marriage, and I think if I went against his wishes on this he'd just be real difficult to live with. Not mean or anything like that, just grouchy. He's been griping about all the money I've spent on this new garden, but I kept a running total, and with the welded wire fencing and posts, all the wood, screws, seeds, plants, compost and bark it has only been $265.88 which I don't think is bad at all for what I've done out there. That's for BOTH garden areas, the small boxes and the big ones and both fences.I know he's upset that the insurance company hasn't come through on any of the fencing yet. So am I. But I've worked my butt off to build up that area, and it hasn't cost us a penny for my labor. It's not like we are poor people and can't afford another $45 for six more lousy boards! I mean, it's not like he'll have to miss a meal over it....sheesh. We went out to dinner tonight and spent almost that much. He's just being stubborn over the boards I gave away. Yes, I have the money to buy them myself, but then I'd have to live with the old fart.

Granny

• medontdo
    15 years ago

hmmmm......your just a nice lady!! :')

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maureen - did you just call me WG? heh. Where in the world have you been? I was starting to get that itchy feeling...
    Am I gonna have to visit every thread on GW, and put a little link for you in every one of them? hee hee. You know, I like making links at the bottom of my posts. Whatcha think about my little funhouse? lol

Granny - since i'm a man....i'll just stay out of it. :)

Medo - help! my seedlings are floating in water....just kidding! It's raining like crazy here, and will continue through the night...Boo! Boo! bad rain! lol

EG

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Granny: I learned a long time ago that sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission in my garden with the hubby. He's a good guy, but he doesn't have the bug like I do. lol He doesn't understand why I need three varieties of green beans (purple, bush, AND pole), OR that I actually want seven... Also, I'm eager to hear your results.
    Corn festival was ok, but no guy dressed in a corn outfit wandering AND our US house of reps guy was there. blech.
    They did sell corn for ten cents an ear. The corn was awful. No taste at all. Mine was infinitely better from the garden and I'm planting an entire square of it next year. Any varieties you guys can recommend?

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

carolynp, our local farmer's market sells "Sugar Dot" and it is really good. I think the last time I grew corn it was Illini Xtra Sweet. I remember I looked for a variety that stated it filled well to the tip, with tight husks, because we have a problerm with corn ear worm. If that was the variety I planted, it was really good, and it didn't have the ear worm problem, but I imagine they some new, improved varieties I haven't yet tried. In fact, here is an interesting article, and EG, TAKE NOTE OF THE CROSS POLLINATION STATEMENT!

"The gene for sweetness in the old sweet corn varieties was called the "su-1" gene. Sweeter varieties of sweet corn contain the "sugary enhanced" gene, "se" These are roughly twice as sweet as standard sweet corn and the sugar is more slowly converted to starch than in standard varieties. This means the sugary enhanced sweet corns start sweeter and remain sweeter longer. Another genetic variation occurs in varieties with the "sh2" gene. The sh2, or super sweet varieties are three to four times sweeter than the standard sweet corn varieties. The "sh2" means the corn kernels are shrunken (shriveled). This is obvious when looking at the seed. In the sh2 varieties, the enzyme that converts sugar to starch is also reduced, so the corn remains sweet much longer. These varieties are more sensitive to soil temperature and should only be planted when soil temperatures are above 55 degrees, and they should be planted only half as deep in the soil. They are also more influenced by pollen from other corn varieties.

Pollination by other corn varieties, including sweet corn varieties, can result in starchy, rather than super sweet corn kernels. If you wish to plant several varieties in the same garden and can't provide 250 to 300 feet separation between them, then plant them two weeks apart so that one variety will not pollinate the other variety. This is most important for the super sweet varieties."

http://cahe.nmsu.edu/ces/yard/2002/041302.html

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Granny, carolyn - The corn that I absolutely blew on was peaches and cream. I picked all of the little ears saturday, and my stepson and I ate everyone of them right then, not cooked - but raw. It was the best corn I have ever had. OMG, I feel like planting every square foot of my property with it.lol

On another note....HOLY CRAP!!!! It's raining like you wouldn't believe! I know the folks from Florida know what i'm talking about...I'm not getting as much as they did, but it just won't stop. I can't plant anything else until probably Thursday. I've had every rain barrel, 5 gallon bucket, dishpan, and everything else I could think of...full since yesterday evening.

EG

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

EG (aka WG) - I noticed the "W" just as I hit the submit button but too late! Oops!

15 years ago

Awesome hooters... oops, I mean peppers, EG.

Granny, I think those experiments would have made me put ya in the nuthouse, too, if I weren't a gardener myself! LOL So far, my favorite is the squeeze bottle, but I think I'll stick with my baggie method for now. As for the gate between you and the neighbors backyards, I'm game for that!

Carolyn, please let us know when the full harvest is in what the totals are. Really, good or bad, I'd love to know every detail!

EG, that beautiful full-blooded girl would have gotten a whip'en with a newspaper. And, just to clarify, the best friend is not the dog, huh?... it's the cat???? I knew something was wrong with you, EG... LOL

Lissa - What a wonderfully nice offer to give radish seeds to Granny. I'm sure it's nothing personal like you being ignored. I think Granny just missed your post.

Medo - Did you say goodbye to my baby plant I was rooting? *crying*.... I accidentally left it at my best friend's house in Phoenix. We stayed there and I woke up in hurry to get back on the road and just plain left it behind! *crying even harder*

~Angela

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

I also have gardening kitties. Been a dog lover all of my life but when my last little guy died 4 years ago I knew I didn't have what it took for a new puppy. Got myself 2 very silly little kitties. In addition to my 2, the neighbors cat follows me all over the garden and so I am now considered the Pied Piper! When I want to know where all the cats are, I go out on my deck and let out a whistle. Cats come crawling out of the woodwork. Funny little creatures.

15 years ago

Awwww, Granny... sorry your DH is being a stick in the mud over the raspberry patch. They are a bush, right? I had no idea you could do those in a SFG. Are they like strawberries? Anyways, I'm glad you figured out how to make it happen without buying material for another bed. I think I'd steal some grocery money and get 'er done. LOL... if he asked me about it, I'd say I did spend it on groceries.... LOL

Well, Granny, I just read the next post you wrote. I guess I would take back what I wrote, but not the spirit I wrote it in... LOL... I think I might ask if he's ever been grateful that you forgave him for doing something stupid... I'm just saying he ought to think about that in regards to doing unto others...

EG - your seedlings have been in my prayers... are they doing okay now? Let me know if I should visit the PICU (plant intensive care unit).

Carolyn - Interesting take to ask for forgiveness rather than permission! LOL... I don't do that any more, though, so I'm REALLY glad DH is very supportive and understanding of the gardening. He would let me plant 7 varieties of the green beans if I want to as long as he doesn't have to do much to help out there.

Mrs. YooHoo - Maureen, the CATS come when you whistle??? UNREAL! I do understand not wanting to start over with a new puppy. EG went for both, though. Did you catch that he got the dog to protect the kitty? LOL Not to protect the family, the house, the property, but to protect the kitty... I thought dogs chased and scared kitties.... hmmmmm... (Just joking with ya, EG. I'd be like Noah's Ark if I could.)

~Angela

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Posted by lissa_z9b (My Page) on Sun, Aug 24, 08 at 0:20

Anniesgrannie, You said something about not being able to find radish seeds. I bought several 10 cent packages of them at wally world this summer. Want me to mail you one? No charge. :)

I can't believe I missed this!!! I am SO SORRY.....I'm glad I caught angelady's post tonight, 'cause I sure would never ignore you. Sheesh. I would dearly LOVE some radish seeds, and thank you for the kind offer. Is my personal email anywhere on the site? I don't know, but you can email me at anniebloom1 at gmail dot com

Thank you Lissa, and thank you for bringing this to my attention, angelady.

Granny

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I stacked the dang boxes together today, so I now have one strawberry bed and ONE raspberry bed, but by gosh it's 12" deep!! I also got the end posts (5-foot 4x4s) bolted on each end to attach some crossbars and wire, and got all of the boxes/posts painted to match the other boxes. This leaves me with over half the back garden area empty, so I think what I'll do is a couple of raised beds with no boxes. That's doable, and maybe next fall I can add a second raspberry bed, using my own suckering canes. In the no-box beds I can plant corn and melons.

I want to add some color to the garden next year, and have decided I'd like hollyhocks and blue delphiniums up against the back fence. I just loved the pictures in the "potage gardens", of the brightly painted ladders in the melon patch, and I happen to have three old ladders...I hope the lady who came up with the idea doesn't mind if I borrow it. I painted a large strawberry pot a really bright blue, and set it in the garden. It has a lavender clematis in it (the dogs slept on it, it may or may not surive, as it only has about 5 leaves now), and the smaller side planting holes will have blue lobelia next spring. I'd like to paint the ladders bright blue, orange and yellow...have them three different heights and let the melons climb all over them. I want some sunflowers on that side of the garden, too. I'll plant the corn in the boxless future raspberry bed #2! I want to paint a pretty birdhouse to attach to the top of the raspberry post. Oh...I wish it was spring 2009! I have so much I want to do!

Granny's all wishy and dreamy tonight :-)

• jeni3004
    15 years ago

Hi everyone! I miss you guys! Its been pure craziness around here. We've got some rather crazy things going on in our life and yeah. I am headed to a meeting here soon in regards to foster care placement of my stepson due to some behavioral things that happened at his bio moms house that has put him in full time care in our home but requires CONSTANT supervision as he is a risk to my 2 & 4yo's.

I hope this is the end today. This has been going on Since the beginning of April and I've had the 3 kids alone all summer while my husband travels for work.

Thank God for my garden, it has really been therapeutic. Too bad the stress has gotten so bad the last 2 weeks that I haven't even had any interest in my garden. *sigh*

I'll take all prayers and/or positive thoughts this afternoon!

I get to sit in a meeting with the poison (aka bio mom) and listen to her spew venom at me.

Hopefully once this is done with and they place him out of home into a home with no younger children my life can relax a bit and get a lil more back to normal.

School starts next week and that includes me! I'm finally going to finish and get a degree. Yay me!

I hope everyone here is doing well. And I will come read and catch up on all the posts when I get some free time with a clear head.

Bye!

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Will definitely pray for you Jeni. I'm a former social worker and have had to sit in on too many of those type meets, yuck.

Angela, did you start school this week? I'm loving on my curriculuum! Plus, my oldest can almost read completely independently, so my job is getting smaller. I am actually lucky with the hubby. He stayed home with the kids while he finished his masters, so he at least has a feel for what I do and doesn't have any problem if I haven't done anything except kept the kids breathing one day, lol. It's been super tough to get used to having less money, though. You can email if you need a shoulder as you get used to it, lol.

Is there a meter to measure sunlight? I have been eradicating some more ivy on the side of the house, and I have an area that's almost full shade. I can't decide if I want to put another small box there for lettuce and spinach or try to use that as my compost pile when leaves start falling. We have a two month period where we have ENORMOUS piles of leaves. Traditionally, I have packed those into our recycle bins or hauled them in my truck. This year I'll probably try chopping em up and piling them somewhere to compost. How faraway can folks smell a compost pile like that? I have a bin, but it would never be big enough for the gazillions of leaves.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

jeni i'm so sorry you have to go thru that!! you definately have our prayers!! school has been on for two weeks i think here, and well its been getting more better. i think i have found a way to get them through the day to get their work done. hers- disney's fairy page w/games and such. his- pirates of the carribean or cartoon network games. 1/2 an hour each if they get all their work done and NO playing in the work time. ahhhh that means no teasing and instigating. LOL
    so that shall be fun.
    i sure hope the rain don't carry your little seedlings away eg!! and that it will be good for them!! :') i definately agree with you on one thing. forgiveness is better than asking for permission!! LOL especially in my house!! LOL he is a stickler for the big NO i like to work with him. but he likes to say no.
    i do agree with you about the fact they don't understand why i want one thing, its the same, i don't understand why he has to chew AND smoke. so hey i want 3 or 4 different types of lettuces and spinaches and......LOL i just love to get him going, LOL
    i'm FINALLY HOME!!!!!!! YAY my very own bed!!! my very own PILLOW!!! my very own MESSS!!!! LOL and FLOWERS!!! LOL ~Medo

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ok carolyn, so the thing is hubs is born feb 13 69, i am feb 13 71, he's am and i am pm but we are like a few min apart. its so funny. its like 6:34 for him and 36 for me. LOL Now how absolutely weird is that?? and that we should find each other?? in this whole wide world?? LOL the only thing is he was born in topeka hosp and i was in manhatan hospital. its just so cool!! LOL anyhow i didn't want to post that in your post, LOL to OT!!! LOL Hee Hee Hee
    did it stop raining yet??

• carolynp
    15 years ago

It sounds like it was meant to be, medo. I think you need to buy more lottery tics, lol.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

that's what my mom always says!! and tabors s.s is mine and hubs mixed. talla's is her very own!! but her conc date is our marriage date.. now how weird is that?? and tabors birthdate is 96 just opposite of his daddy's. so that's just cool!! `so our little family has so many little bity quirks its just awesome!! we just love it!! but talla is the "special" one.
    one day tabor and i were transferring plants from the seedling trays (100's of them) to their 4" pots. and we took a small break, looked up and watched talla playing by the tree's by the corner, well we got to noticing how the butterfly's were gatherd around down ther, and how the birds were swooping in and out, alsmost as if they were dropping in and saying hi! and a few words and up and out. then on to the next, she was talking to her "friend" LOL but there was alot of activity down there with the animals/insects. it was so awesome! ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Angela - i'm glad you liked my big ol' peppers, and yes...the cat is the bomb! I call him "buddy". He's been with me during all outdoor activities, including building everything, as well as all time spent with the garden - day or night. I can always count on his help! :)
    The seedlings are ok, and I got to do some plantin' this evening! I'll do more tomorrow. I'm just glad a catheter wasn't necessary for removing the fluids from the seedlings in the picu. :) Hee Hee, that was a good one!

Maureen - that's ok, i've been called worse things. Now...where have you been, young lady????? You know that you can run, but can't hide! hee hee

Jeni - I'm so sorry that you have difficult times right now. I've been exposed to some of the same things, and it will really get to you. Reckon if I was to show you my melons, it would cheer you up? lol

Granny - I started a little blog today, and I see you've been there! Yay!.....maybe you can help me figure out what the crap i'm supposed to do next! My brain hurts...Ow!...See? I told ya.! lol. I'll put the little link at the bottom. I didn't get booted, afterall!

Medo - Oh boy!!!!!! I've got a pic for you tomorrow or the next day...and yes, the stove comes with it. You know me...if the opportunity presents itself to make something good to preserve, i'll do it! Woo Hoo! It's been a few years since I made this.....hee hee

Here is a link that might be useful: EG's new page!

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Oh sure, show jeni your melons. All you'd show us were your hooters....er, I mean peppers.

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Granny - speaking of my melons....Yesterday and today, we got just a little taste of TS Fay, or what was left of her. The wind was blowing pretty dadgum hard...I went out in the rain to look at the garden, and my largest cantaloupe was laying in the dirt. It got blowed right out of it's knee high. I'll try it out in a few days, but I sure would've liked for it to stay on the vine a little longer. Stupid wind...Bad Fay!

15 years ago

Jeni - Oh dear heavens, you better believe you're in my thoughts and prayers! I've been in a spot that sounds like you're in, just got there a different way. It sucks to have all that stress in your life. Please, check in when you can and lean on us if you need to get things off your chest, okay? BTW, what are you taking in school?

Carolyn - Nope, didn't start school. I'm actually away to Dallas now that I got home for about 10 minutes and left again. My oldest daughter, Hannah, goes to the Scottish Rite Hospital here for her right leg that she wears a prosthesis on. We're starting the process of making a new leg for her. Just to clarify, I'm not homeschooling yet, I'm just staying home with the four kiddos, 3 of which as of this year are in elementary school. I'm hoping to transfer to teaching them myself if I can get up the courage and know-how to do so. For now, it's just a blessing that I'm not letting someone else raise them while I work. I've been working evenings for the entire time I've had these beautiful angels up until this summer, so this was a big move for us. I'm SO grateful I made this decision, that's for sure. Thanks for offering your support through this transition we're going through. I'm sure I'll take you up on that!

Medo - Yah! Welcome home, girl! I can't wait to join ya on that... :-)... As for Talla and the birds and bugs, wow! I was imaging what I was reading in your post... it sounds absolutely dreamy! That's pretty neat!

EG - Glad to know all is well with the plants. I was sure wondering if some of the new ones were going to make it.... as for cheering up Jeni by showing her your melons, LOL, that sure worked to cheer up the rest of us, it's worth a shot! Since it's been raining so much, be sure to have them compete in the next wet T-shirt contest... hee hee Also, great start to your page there, EG! It's neat to see so many people garden blogging. I may just have to give that a whirl myself, but I'm halfway scared that I'll bomb and it'll look stupid to blog about... ugggh...

~Angela

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

A lot of us have had wind or water damage to our gardens this year. Let's hope 2009 is better for us!

Granny

15 years ago

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.... sorry about the melon, EG... I didn't see this last post before I submitted the long one just now... ugggh... Let us know if it was good even though...

~Angela

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

Young lady? Ha ha ha ha ha! Sometimes I just come and lurk - I like being an observer......and playing hide & seek!

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Hey EG: keep us posted on the weird weather.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carolyn - It's a deal! I love keeping up with the weather, especially weird weather - because...let's face it - I'm weird! LOL It's actually beautiful out there today. I bet my little seedlings are just having a party right now. There better not be any drinking involved. If I get home and there's beer cans laying everywhere, they're in big trouble. lol

Maureen - Hey! What's the matter? Did you start having stove picture withdrawals, and decided to check in on EG? Hee Hee . I'll have you a stove picture tonight!

Angela - yeah, the big cantaloupe just fell right out of it's sling during the windy weather. I'm thinking real serious about using pieces of bird netting next year. Oh well...this is a learning experience for me. The blog is something I wanted to try out, even if it's not the best one out there.

Granny - I agree, this has been one messed up year. Maybe next year will be better. PSSSTTT....Hey Granny....I'm picking a zucchini today.hee hee. I've been waiting for this baby to mature, before ripping it all out and planting that section. Best I can figure, I've got maybe 2 more that will reach maturity before next Monday.

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ok, i got back on today!! wierd!! LOL YAY!!!! angel if ya have a k12 thingi near you charter under them, its free, and then let them do all the work for you!! LOL if ya want it kinda easy but they can slip into the grades easily go for oddesy i went for k12. ummm fishymama can explain it much eaisier!!!! she's so smart and she's the one who introduced me to it, and she also does sfg. she's on here once in a while, and she's really sweet. :')

i saw your site eg, very cool!! i can't wait to see the new pics!!

i'm waiting for my black swirl datura to bloom!@!! LOL i can't wait!! YAHOOOO!!!! LOL now that will make my total day!! LOL ~Medo

• jeni3004
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for any thoughts and prayers! The meeting went well. It is official the juvenile unit and the department of child services has asked for him to be placed in a foster home.

I'm going to try and make this long long long think like 9 years worht of drama, short.

My stepsons bio mom is a loser. She is irresponsible, has about 38 things against her in open records, she has never been stable in his life, and has moved from guy to guy. Aside from my 10yo stepson, she has another daughter who is 13 who lives with her dad, and a 5yo daughter who lives with her for now.

Over the course of the last 6 years the kids were all exposed to various types of pornography. Starting when DSS was 4. This came about when there was some inappropriate touching amongst him, his older sis, and his moms then boyfriends daughter. The kids have seen playboys laying around and would watch porn on the computer while left home alone.

The supervision has NEVER been good at her home. NEVER. She leaves all 3 kids home alone while she is out running around.

Well the inappropriate touching NEVER STOPPED. And it went from the 2 older kids, to DSS then going on to his 5yo sister.

Back in April we got a call late on a Friday night from the mom demanding my husband go pick his son up. To which he did. To which I freaked out and called the police. I didnt want him ehre with MY babies.

So it has been on going since then. He was removed from her home except every other weekend when his sisters are with their dads and has been in my care full time. Its been in the court both on charges against him and also child protective services.

A CHIPS order was put into place this last month and he goes for his final dispositional hearing on Sept 16th to which he plead guilty to 3 counts of 4th degree sexual assault of a child. (remember, he himself is 10.)

So through all of this, I have had to have strict, non-stop supervision on the kids. I can not go to the bathroom w/o either first sending him up to his room and setting the alarm on his bedroom door, or taking the 2 lil ones into the bathroom with me. He is NEVER to be left out of direct sight of an adult while there are other children around.

I could not take him to the pool.

I could nto take him to the park.

I could not have my friends over who have girls.

I lost the little girl that I was babysitting when this happened.

The CPS Supervisor said it best yesterday "You've been a prisoner in your own home all summer due to his level of supervision that is needed."

Now my husband is rarely home and when home its never at the same time, so I'm mostly alone day and night while he's on the trains.

He obviously is not taking ANY of this well. A LOT of denial, a lot of blame, but not much in regards to "coping."

So the good news is that it is official that he is going to be placed elsewhere, its just a matter of time. They need to find a home with for sure, no YOUNGER children. And also one where there is treatment available to him (it has been assessed that he has no internal barriers to stop him from doing it again, we've had A LOT of behavioral issues with him ALWAYS, hes been on all different meds,i n counseling for 4 years, 2 different schools, etc).

So that about sums up the last 9 years of my life. LOL.

I know its bad, and I know its personal, but meh, these boards are like my own journals that give me support! LOL.

Soon soon soon, I will have a happy, less stress, safe home back for my little ones. They deserve so much more than what its been like living in this house the lats few months.

And EG, I am ALLLLLL about your melons!! Bring em!

15 years ago

After this post, I cordially ask that everyone use the new thread I just started for privacy purposes...

Granny - I like your lessons learned in SFG. Number 4 about starting your own seeds in Washington and selling the AZ home... that cracked me up! You know you want to, just do it! Just be sure to tell DH about it afterwards, if possible, to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. :-) As for the entire post, you're a riot, girl!

Medo - Yes, I will have to track down fishymama. I can't find her anywhere so far. Also, we have thoughts of moving to California in a couple years and from what I understand, you can't homeschool there unless you're a teacher? uggggh

Jeni - Girlfriend, if you were closer, I'd give you a huge hug. That is so very sad. I am glad that something is happening to deal with the situation, though. Those poor sisters of his. I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but since you were open, I'll share that my brother (who is now dead) actually abused me and my sister sexually, so this is not as rare as you might think. I am grateful that this is out in the open while your stepson is still very young where no more damage can be done. Believe me, I'm praying for you and your family, his sisters, and for him.....

~Angela

• jeni3004
    15 years ago

Angela I am working on my degree in Psychology. In the end will focus on AODA and adolescents.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax