Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duhast

Pic of the raised bed

duhast
15 years ago

Here's the finished bed. Got it half filled, now have to get the mix in.

Comments (9)

• laura729
    15 years ago

That looks great! It's better looking than I thought a cinder block bed would be. Very cool! How many blocks?

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I think that will work very well. If I were doing one, i'd put a 4" layer of large gravel in the bottom, to ensure that the plant roots would never be sitting in water - after a big rain. Thanks for the photo, dude!

EG

• duhast
    Original Author
    15 years ago

32 full size (8x8x16) plus 4 half blocks (8x8x8). I used the half blocks on the end of the long wall next to the patio to allow an open "tunnel" to run water supply line through. You can see it in the bottom left corner. The five bottom row blocks on that side are different "high arch" that form the tunnel, then a half block on it's side as the tunnel end. The other two half blocks are added to the ends to make a full block dimension.

So, if you don't do that obsessive/complsive design, there'd be 34 regular blocks. The bed size is about 3'4"x6'6".

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

You know, your block edges could be filled and planted as well. They will also make an excellent spot to fasten uprights for a trellis. I love the idea! :)

• carolynp
    15 years ago

It looks beautiful! How are you handling drainage? Is the arch for that? It looks to be on the high end. It is going to be SO cool. I can't wait to see the planted pics.

• duhast
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"...block edges could be filled and planted as well. "
    Yep. That's the plan.

"How are you handling drainage?"
    What's that? Actually, the bottom's open, and I gave up trying to be perfectly level and joined on the last side (the long nearest camera). There are several gaps around the base.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Awesome! I'm so glad you posted this. I was wondering how you were coming along after the few questions you had previously asked. I like the cinder blocks idea a lot. I'm glad you posted the full dimensions and exact info for those of us who are a little obsessive sometimes and want every detail.

That's interesting, EG, about putting rocks in the bottom in case of a heavy rain. I'm in the desert so I wasn't really worried about that kind of a thing, but then again we just had 5 days of straight rain. Do you think you need something like the rocks if your beds are open to the ground below which is a sandy soil that drains really well?

~Angela

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

No Angela, it is only a recommendation for building a successful garden in a location that might have drainage issues.

EG

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I have 3 inches of gravel in the bottom of each of my beds. I wasn't sure about drainage issues so I did it to be safe. Of course my beds are 16 inches high.

Great pics! I think they look amazing. Well done!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure!