Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
going forward with Square foot

Posted by belleville_rose_gr (wtk44@sbcglobal.net) on
Tue, Aug 26, 08 at 15:11

I started a post last week about whether to try square ft vs. traditional gardening. With the holiday weekend approaching I think I will use the extra day off from to work on a raised bed. My thinking is the bed will be either 1x6 cedar(no access locally for 2x6) or I may go with 2x6 pine. The beds will be different sizes to due the space of the garden.Maybe I can get my wife to paint and stencil the frame to add some color to the garden. Depth of the beds is not an issue because I will be converting my rose garden to veggie and will incorporate this soil with new. I will still need to build some type of portable rabbit barrier but I have time for that. I want something I can remove so I can rototill the garden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: going forward with Square foot

Very cool! I wish I could stencil things. I'm a firm believer that the nicer it looks, the more you want to look at it.

o

belleville rose, If you do SFG properly, you should never need to rototill the garden. You'll never walk on the ground, so it will never be compressed. :) Yet another benefit of SFG.

o

Congrats on your decision to go with SFG. It is by far easier than traditional gardening. I doubt I'd be gardening much at all if I hadn't found this method.

~Angela

o

I was where you were last year! Different situation in the yard, but just starting out having read the book and designing my garden. Now is very fun time! Plan what you're going to do and do it. Can't ask for better, well maybe when the harvest comes in and you realize it was all worth it.

And ditto to Lissa. No tilling in SFG. If you need fluffy soil for carrots, it's 1 SF so just use a trowel, hehe. I use my hands sometimes.

My aunt would kill me if I ruined "her" rose garden, but that'd be my next spot for adding on.

Good luck to you! If you run into any challenges, here's a good reference, or just read my old blog posts, chances are I had the same problem and solved it. hehe. That's what the first year (and maybe longer) is all about!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure!

o

I have just purchased a chipper/shredder and was going to shred the yard waste back into my garden beds. I can then till this in the garden in spring with my small tiller. I have the mantis which is a handy to tool to have.

o

I have been gardening for 50 years. This is my first year for SFG, and I wish I had done it 49 years ago. I just sold a very good tiller and shredder and purchased a better chipper/shredder. I am just getting to old to bounce around behind a tiller, even a small one. I predict you will be doing something similar when you notice the cobwebs on the tiller. Good luck John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here