Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvel_gw

Garlic for 2010

pvel
14 years ago

I grew a couple dozen garlic plants this year in a regular bed, not a sfg. It was regular white store bought stuff and the results were fairly good, small to medium sized bulbs.

This year I have ordered a sampler of softneck garlic from a farm on the internet. So I will have more plants and a variety. I will plant some in my sfg around mid-November.

I would like to hear from anyone who plants garlic with or without a sfg and learn from your experience. Thanks, Paul

Comments (8)

• kr222
    14 years ago

I planted garlic in my square foot garden in mid-October of last year (I'm zone 6b). This was my first time growing garlic. I planted them with the tip up and located about 1-2 inches below the soil. I placed 9 in each square foot. I watered them in and let them go. It worked out beautifully. I planted 6 different varieties, and they all responded well with the 9/sf spacing. I posted many pictures on my blog back in June and July. I'll try to post some over here as well. Good luck with your garlic Paul!
    Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden

• kr222
    14 years ago

The garlic is in the far back bed. I filled all 9 squares of my 3'x3' bed with garlic. Next year...not so much garlic. :)

In my July 27, 2009 posting I gave a bit of a review of the varieties I grew. I'm by no means an expert. These are just the results of my first attempt at growing garlic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden

• defrost49
    14 years ago

I planted heirloom green peppers in a row along a south wall of our white painted house. I put a row of hard necked garlic in front. The bulbs didn't get as large as I would have liked and suspect they were too close to the lawn. Also had marigolds intermixed.
    I bought two bulbs each from a local grower. He said to save my biggest bulbs to re-plant. He had 13 varieties which included elephant but didn't seem to think there was much different in taste.

• flatlander
    14 years ago

I've been growing garlic for a lot of years. I plant intensivly in raised beds about 4 inches apart, so i guess it is close to what you call square foot. Anyway, the following link has some good cultural advice for garlic growers. Try the Inchelium Red...you'll like it.

http://www.wegrowgarlic.com/

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    14 years ago

I grew garlic for the first time last fall 2008. I lost my planting chart, so when I pulled I had no idea what was what. I started to build my selection up again. So far I only have German Extra Hardy. I think I might add 3 more types. Last year I planted 7 and that was too many I think.

I put mine in a 4'x6' box and spaced each clove 8" apart. I plan on planting 8 cloves per SQF for 2009 fall. I spaced way to far apart in 08. Too much wasted space. I use alot of garlic and I really want to try and grow enough so I don't have to buy the crap at the store.

I am also planting the garlic in my flower beds this year. I'm digging up 6 3'x3' squares throughout my flower bed's here and there and I am actually just planting in a 2'x2', so I have a 6" strip that surrounds the cloves and seperates them from other things. My flower beds get 10-11hrs direct until about mid/late-summer, than it's shaded by large maples, but by then I would be pulling the garlic anyways.

Tip, don't peel the clove before planting it ( I was stupid enough to do it). I read so much info last fall and came across that. The grower stated his rooted faster that way. I think that's why my bulbs ended being so small when I pulled them this summer, plus it was such a pain in the butt to peel them.

Melissa1977

• Jeanine Gurley
    14 years ago

I have grown garlic the last two years. Both years my planting was haphazard and I don't know the varieties. I had pretty good results, it was problem free and seemed to not notice that I didn't pay attention to it. This year I ordered from a place in Texas. I got a notice that the package should be arriving next week. It is a sampler like the OP.

I am planning to try to keep track of the varieties and have three SF beds set aside (I am new to SF). I am hoping this experiment goes well as I LOVE garlic and can eat a whole meal of it. Can't wait til I retire so I can eat it all of the time without worrying about who I offend:-).

Here is a link that might be useful: Spirit Of Place

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    14 years ago

granolaeeter, I know exactly what you mean. I can eat 2 whole heads if they were roasted in 1 sitting. You can spread the soft cloves on anything.

Who cares if you reek of garlic, eat as much as you want. I love the smell of garlic myself. Onions too, they smell heavenly when just pulled ......AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Melissa1977

• pvel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your follow ups.
    I can't wait for my order to arrive. I ordered 2lbs. Hopefully enough to eat some new varieties and plant the rest.
    Paul

Sponsored