Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelady777

Cantaloupes with first flowers

I thought the cantaloupe that I had planted would die while we were gone since we weren't here to water them, but since it rained enough, most of the established plants survived! Yea!

Yesterday when I watered them, they didn't have any flowers, not one. Today, I go out and they're chock full of them. I don't see anything that looks like a tiny melon, though. :-(

Does anyone know about how long it takes for them to produce pickable cantaloupe after they show their first flowers? Any other tidbits of cantaloupe info is also appreciated....

~Angela

Comments (42)

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

The first flowers will be males, with females to follow. They'll come soon I expect. Good luck with them.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Angela - melons generally mature 5 weeks after fruit set. Fruit set is when the female has definitely been pollinated, and the flower has fallen off. Here's a photo of one of my baby cantaloupes.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, Sinfonian & EG. Five weeks sounds really exciting. I guess it might be another week before I see the female blossoms? That would only put it six weeks away from picking a melon! WooHooo!

Awwwww... what a gorgeous pic of the baby cantaloupe, EG. I think I'm gonna hand-pollinate to be sure that they produce well quickly. I planted these so late, so I'm hoping that I can still get plenty of melons (or at least a few) before frost. It sure looks like I will by what you guys are telling me!

~Angela

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Angela- I took this photo for ya today. This is what you're looking for.

EG

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Man cantaloupe look JUST like cucumbers at this stage, hehe. I know they're related. Just boy, you can't tell them apart!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

Aww...EG your little fuzzies are so cute.

Maureeen

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

"Aww...EG your little fuzzies are so cute. "

Thanks, Maureeen...I just spewed diet cola all over my laptop!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

They're even more cute, when they weigh about 8-10 lbs!

EG

Original Author
    15 years ago

ROFL! Yep, EG's got some big honkers on those plants!

As for the 2nd pic... wow, that's a female flower? It sure looks like the male ones to me. I am just so new at this. I examined them very closely today, and they all look like just a plain yellow flower with nothing that looks like it could develop into a cantaloupe behind or beside the flower. I am so shocked at how many flowers came on the plant literally overnight, too. Nothing one day, 10-15 or so the next day. Whoa!

These are the ones I planted straight from the cantaloupe we ate. I sure hope it's not some kind of hybrid that doesn't produce fruit or have fruit unlike it's parent.

~Angela

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

Hehehehe.....I was being serious (they are cute!) - what I was inclined to say was "nice hairy balls EG"! Or is it WG? (OMG I think I have officially joined the crazy crowd!)

Maureen

Original Author
    15 years ago

ROFL - ROFL - ROFL

That's what I was THINKING, but wasn't going to say it! hahahahahaha

Good one, Maureen!!!!!!!!!

~Angela

• laura729
    15 years ago

Y'all pipe down now! ;) As IF I wasn't thinking the very same thing about the "cute fuzzies" comment! - And I think it either went right over EG's head or perhaps he was being a gentleman. LOL!!

Original Author
    15 years ago

Laura's right... poor guy having to put up with all of us! Plus, I really want his help with the cantaloupe plants. I certainly don't want him scared off from sending in his pics.... I'm sorry, EG.

Now, back to the topic, is that second pic of a female blossom?

~Angela

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Holy Moly.....Y'all just won't do! hee hee.

Maureen - I'm gonna go outside and cut a switch for you....hee hee

Angela - I took that photo in a hurry, hmm...i'll go make sure it was a female. I remember where it was located. I picked 2 more cantaloupes this morning.

Laura - Get 'em!!! Hee Hee

EG

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Angela - I put the wrong picture on here. The second one IS a male. Sorry.... Oh well, hope this picture makes up for it. To tell when ready to pick, the color of the melon will change colors overnight, and the stem will start to detach like the photo below.

EG

Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, EG, there's nothing to make up for. You're so wonderful to try to show me all this stuff. I'm very thankful!

This picture rocks! What a nice close-up. I can totally see how it's starting to separate. Neat!

You know, it's crazy. I just checked on my cantaloupes today and they've doubled the flowers since yesterday! Wow! I had no idea that they did this so heavily so soon! Is this normal? They are beautiful. I actually see little bitty buds in almost every joint where a new vine has started, but they aren't blossoms yet, but I can tell they will be soon, too. This would mean I'd have bookoooos of blossoms more than I have already. It's pretty amazing to me.

Just as a reminder, these are the plants that the kids ate the cantaloupe, and we just scooped the seeds and guts out of them and planted the whole mess in one short row before I started SFGing. There are tons of little plants in that row as I never thinned them out. I guess it's more of an experiment at this point to see how they do growing so close together. The only thing is I have nothing to compare it to. LOL I wish I knew what normally happens.

Oh, and still no signs of what looks like a female blossom yet. I'm figuring if some of these are females, they might just be too young to tell is all. Is that about right?

~Angela

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Angela - You will have tons of flowers, and also several female blooms. Although I have plenty of bees, some of mine didn't get pollinated well enough to set fruit. You'll know when this happens....a little tiny melon will form, and then it will turn yellow and wither away. No biggie, though. I feel that each vine is only capable of supplying enough nutrients to so many fruit. Some of mine matured when they were really small. I believe that too much of the plant's energy was forced into more vine growth, instead of toward the existing fruit. Next year, I will snip the end of each vine, once 3 or 4 fruit are growing on them.

EG

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Here's a photo of the damage.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Here's the little culprit...the pickle worm.

EG

Original Author
    15 years ago

What??? Are you kidding me? That thing is tiny! That little thing cause that drilled-like hole in the fruit? Wow! Thanks for showing me the pics once again, EG. Unreal. At least I know what to look out for.

I'm looking every day under my leaves, etc. I had no idea to look for something so tiny. I will be even more cautious of my 'lopes.

BTW, I still don't have any females, but you know I'll be screaming to update this thread when I do see 'em. Ewwww... I'm so excited!

Again, I'm sorry for the damage to yours now. I know you got a lot of great melons this season. I guess these boogers will attack the gardens of even the best gardeners who check every day. :-(

~Angela

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I've been picking several good melons, and just found this damage over the weekend. Since I planted my fall stuff, I haven't been spending as much time looking for pests. Oh well, the leaves have powdery mildew on them, as well. I'm pulling the remainder this week.

EG

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Wow, I'd forgotten this thread. I clicked on it to say I too have flowers as of this weekend. Male of course. Poor little plants don't know they're done for in a month or two when that frost hits. And temps are dropping into the low 50s at night now.

Oh, and EG, I understand as the season winds down, plants have given their all and can no longer defend against wilt and attack, so the get hit. Think of it as a natural progression. It's great you got fruit this year. More of the same the next.

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Hey EG? Do we have to pollinate our melons? I haven't grown any cantelope, but I had to help the bees with my pumpkins and watermelons.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Carolyn - you will need to treat them just like the other melons...hand pollinate, if necessary.

Sinfonian - yeah, I guess it was a success for the first year. Next year will be even better!

EG

Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I may not be the most patient person, but I thought I'd see ONE female bloom by now..... I'll keep inspecting them and try to be more patient....

~Angela

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Angela - I've got another photo for ya....I found this on some leaves this morning. Seems there was another pickle worm causing problems. This is what dripped out of a fruit.

EG

Original Author
    15 years ago

Lord have mercy, that is disgusting! LOL

Okay.... I'm starting to get mad about these females flowers.... I didn't put all this work into these plants to only get males... I wonder if it's because I planted them so close together and now there's no hope at all to get fruit... ugggh...

This waiting is pure torture, I tell you....

~Angela

Original Author
    15 years ago

For anyone wanting to follow up as this progresses, I've continued it under the thread linked below. :-)

~Angela

Here is a link that might be useful: First female flowers on my cantaloupes!!!

• firebird1
    14 years ago

Hello: This is my first time to try to grow cantaloupes. I have one mature melon on two hills of plants. Many little ones come on, but I think they drop off because I never see them growing. What is going on?

• kingsvoice
    14 years ago

Hi, I'm new here but had a question about cantaloupes. I live in the Pacific Northwest (not cantaloupe country!) My male blossoms have been going crazy...but no females yet. It's mid July and our first frost is in mid October. Do I have a chance at getting cantaloupes this year?

• jengc
    14 years ago

Firebird, it could be that they are not being pollinated. They start out looking like the beginnings of a melon but if they are not pollinated to REALLY make fruit, then they will look like they "died off" which really they did, but the true melon didnt.

Kingsvoice, if you get some females, then I personally would hand pollinate instead of waiting for the bees, then you will be sure that it is going to grow, and you know WHEN it started ya know? When you do that, do like EG said and count 6 weeks. You have a good 12 weeks from now til the middle of October. I think you have a GOOD chance of getting two complete harvests!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen's Victory Garden Blog

• askid15
    13 years ago

Hi guys my family is growing cantaloupes this year and i was wondering since we have lots of flowers and only a few cantaloupes. Does picking off some buds help make more cantaloupe?

• susancol
    13 years ago

askid, no I don't think that will work. No need to prune anything, mother nature will do it for you. What EG was talking about was once a singe vine has 3-4 fruits on it, he snipped off the growing end of the vine, so that the vine put all it's energy into growing those fruits and not waste energy trying to grow more vine or additonal fruits. One vine can only support so much and if it set more fruits, they would likely wind up small and less tasty.

Does that help?
    Susan

• askid15
    13 years ago

Yeah that did help thanks susan. I guess we'll just see what the plant does. We already have 3 melons growing.

• veronicajaramillo28_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hi I planted some cantaloupes and I have severl different little plants coming out not sure why their different but if anyone has a picture. it would be helpful.

• Yessenia Arriaga
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi, im new to growing cantaloupes I already have lil buds growing. But I think I have a insect problem that are eating up the leaves of my cantaloupe and need to fix this problem. Any suggestions pls and if this info helps I live in the DFW area. Thanks

• Twila Morrow
    8 years ago

So the little fuzzy ball under the flower will be the cantaloupe? Help me out here....I am still learning....lol

• Gloria Greenfield
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hello I'm new to this and this is my very first garden this is my cantaloupe I bought one from the store took the seed and germinated them in a Ziploc bag with a wet paper towel till they sprouted then put them in the ground and now this is what I have is this a good sign is this my baby cantaloupe growing I have quite a few of them some of them are shapes very oddly but just hoping that I have a bunch of cantaloupes growing😍😍😍🙏 oh and one last question I am also growing pumpkin does anybody have a picture that they can comment back to this with of a baby pumpkin and what it's supposed to look like I have a couple things growing on my pumpkin out swell but went out there today and a couple of them fell off I'm not sure if that was the pumpkin growing or if it was something different??

Thank you so much😊😊

~Gloria~

• Gloria Greenfield
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hopefully my baby cantaloupes

This is my oddly shaped cantaloupe

And this is what I thought was a pumpkin but when I went out there today it was broken off and laying on the ground 😢 heart broken

~Gloria~

• Terry Lockerby
    3 years ago

I have little yellow flowers on my cantaloupe plants do the flowers create the melons

• Cathy FT
    3 years ago

HI Terry, you have to hand pollinate the male and female flower for it to grow into melon.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County