Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
todds_sweetpea

getting started for next year

todds_sweetpea
14 years ago

Hi all, I just learned about sq ft gardening, and it's perfect for my needs. I have a huge back yard, but it's all shade/forest. No way to plant a garden back there. However, I also have a huge (unused) front yard that is all sun, so I needed something that would be esthetically pleasing, and would still produce plenty of food without taking up my entire front lawn. Sq ft totally fits the bill!

That said, I just picked up two garden boxes from my brother in law, which are 4' x 4'. However, they are 12" high, rather than 6". So my question is, do you recommend filling the bottom 6" with soil/sand/whatever and adding Mel's mix (making my own) on top, or just filling the entire 12" with Mel's mix? We would like to grow root crops like carrots, beets, and even try some potatoes (DH grew up in the city, and has never seen potatoes harvested) so I'm thinking that the 12" might be better for those.

I would also like your opinions on placement. Front lawn is North facing, and north sloping (gentle slope), and the boxes will be on the east edge. I'm debating the merits of placing them right next to each other and terracing them, (I would be able to fit probably 6 4x4 boxes, and they can be accessed from both sides) or making space in between.

It's too late in the season for many crops (we're in the throes of the hot Utah summer), but I am going to try some fall crops of lettuce, spinach, and peas this fall.

Care to weigh in? I'm totally new to this, but not new to gardening, though I'm also no expert.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES