Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drilling holes in containers (where & how many?)

Posted by angelady Zone 7 - Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 08 at 19:30

Oh, goodness, someone please help! I am getting ready to go out of town and had to my plants in something quick, so I went to Dollar Tree and got these great containers I can use. See the thread below for info on them if you want a good deal, too:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0818220330611.html

Well, I now just need to know for the 2 gallon ones, where do I put the holes for best drainage / water retention, and how many holes do I need?

I've heard that it's good to put holes starting at 2 inches up from the bottom all along the sides. The traditional idea, though, is to put holes in the bottom. I'm using a 1/4 inch drill bit, too, so the holes are not going to be huge. Should I put a bunch of holes or just a few. Will it help them to retain moisture if I don't put too many holes, or would that lead to root rot near the bottom of the container?

~Angela

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drilling holes in containers (where & how many?)

What plants are you putting in the containers? If you are putting something like canna, then I wouldn't put any holes.

Most pots I have seen only have one small hole at the bottom, and that seems to work, so I do not think I would overthink this too much.

o
RE: Drilling holes in containers (where & how many?)

Hi John, thanks for the reply. I'm putting veggies in them. I've only done 3 so far (hoping to know more before I plant the rest), and I put the holes in the bottom about an inch apart each. The soil was way too wet on the last one and, boy, it sure wasn't draining very fast... I guess that could be a good thing, but if it takes TOO long, then that could be bad. So far, I think it'll be okay.

I was too scared to put the holes on the side as that is not the most common place you see them and, perhaps, that might be for a reason(?), so until I know better, I guess this will have to work. I'll try to give an update when I know better how these are working.

~Angela

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here