Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justinandlaura1_gw

Tomatoes Sprawled out, now going to trellis - Help

justinandlaura1
14 years ago

Hi All,

Well its my first time gardening. I went and build a nice sqfg at 8x3 6 wks ago or so. I put a few tomato plants (roma, celebrity, early girl improved, cherokee purple and cherry) along one side taking up about 5' along the one side. I didn't do any staking or trellising. I thought I would get to it "next week"...well 2 months later and an out of control garden later...I am finally available to do the trellis. I was going to do the electric conduit about 5' high and 5' wide to gain control of the tomatoes.

Heres my problem and question. Right now the tomatoes are spilling over about 2' over the edge of the box and probably about another foot inside the box mashing up the stuff in the inside row. I figure i can just gently bend the vines that are on the outside up onto the trellis and tie it in place, but I dont know what to do about the stuff that is growing towards the inside of the box.

I was thinking of putting another trellis in the interior to stake it up, but that seems like it may be more of a pain, block too much sun and too hard to build.

So I was thinking about trying to pull the vines back over the top of the plant itself and tie it to the trellis, but not sure if this is doable or smart. I guess the other option is to just cut off those limbs that go past the sqft boundary?

Any help would be terrific as I am new to this and a little lost.

Thanks all,

JD

Comments (2)

Sponsored