Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What seed varieties work best in zone 7 or Charlotte, NC

Posted by jeannainnc NC Zone 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 22, 09 at 20:17

Hi,
I have been a wannabe vegetable gardner for years and finally Spring 2010 I will be able to plant a SFG. I have looked through a stack of seed catalogs but still seem at odds as to which seeds will work best in Charlotte, NC or zone 7.

I plan to plant a variety of vegetables such as Tomatoes, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, bush beans, onions, bell peppers, hot peppers, carrots, radishes, corn, herbs, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, lettuce, greens etc.

If anyone can tell me a specific variety that grows well in my area in a SFG I would greatly appreciate the help.

Jeanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What seed varieties work best in zone 7 or Charlotte, NC

You can always find out which varieties are recommended for your area from your local extension office, or visit the local farmer's market and see which ones the local farmers grow.

EG

o

Hold off until May for the peppers and tomatoes. Everything else should be fine for spring.

o

Zone 7 is a fairly mild climate and therefore not very restrictive as to what you can grow well. So you're pretty free to try whatever varieties sound good to you. To start off, learn that some veggies like heat (so grow in summer) and others like cooler temps (Spring and Fall). Of what you've listed.

Summer Veggies:
Tomatoes
cucumbers
bush beans
bell peppers
hot peppers
corn
Squash

Spring/Fall Veggies:
sugar snap peas
carrots
radishes
broccoli
cauliflower
cabbage
lettuce
greens

**herbs vary and some are annual, some perinniel or bienniel.

**onions are tricky. They are daylight sensitive and therefore only certain varieties will grow well in the South. You can try green onions with no problems. But otherwise, stick to Short-Day Onions. You don't have enough daylight to give long-day onions a chance to form a big bulb. When it doubt, it's probably a long day onion, and best grown up north. the Notable exception being Granex which is like a Vidalia or Texas Sweet. These are planted in Fall and harvested in Spring.

Clemson University's Agricultural Extension has good information for your area.

Last you just need a good seed source. Johnny's Seeds (www.johnnyseeds.com) is a good basic one to start with - or you can buy locally. If you're looking in the seed catalogs, check out the vendor on Dave's Garden before buying from them. There are many good vendors, but some not so good. Dave's Garden has a Watchdog report with vendor reviews that make it easier to tell the good from the bad. (www.davesgarden.com/products/gwd/)

Best of Luck!
Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson University Extension

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here