Houzz Logo Print
shellva

Turning box into cold frame for the winter

shellva
15 years ago

For those of you who cover your boxes in the fall to extend the season:

What do you use as hoops?

What do you use to cover those hoops?

How do you attach your hoops to the box?

How do you keep your covers on?

And where do you get your supplies for the above questions?

Any tips and pics would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Michelle

Comments (7)

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I spent a total of $30 on enough materials to cover 3 beds. What I used for the hoops was the cheapest 10' PVC pipe I could find. At the time it was 3/4" but it doesn't matter much. Just get one more pipe than you need that is large enough to fit the smaller pipe inside it. Make sure you test it in the store. Not all 1" pipes fit a 3/4". To cover it I went 4 mil clear plastic contractor's sheeting. My brother splurged on 6 mil but I think it's a bit too thick to be translucent enough. Not sure, time will tell, we're both doing winter gardens with them.

To attach the hoops to the bed, I cut the bitter pipe into 6 inch sections and buy stainless brackets to clamp attach it to the outside of the bed at proper intervals. Then I just take my smaller pipe and put it into the flagpole like stand on each side. That provides great stability. Though I also use one pipe to attach to the top of the hoops. I used zip ties for it but the best way would be to drill holes and connect with nuts and bolts. I may do that. Not sure. All these supplies can be purchased from your local hardware store or big box retailer. I like shopping local but the cost is a bit more (where I am). You're choice.

To keep my plastic on, I bought a box of jumbo binder clips from any office supply store. They're big enough to clamp around the plastic and PVC pipe. I realize this isn't a perfect solution as they rust, but they were cheap, so I guess I'll just buy more every couple of years.

Hope that helps. Good luck extending your season or fall gardening.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post after I rushed to throw it up to battle a spring snow storm...

• shellva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Sinfonian for taking out the time to not only answer my question but also providing great pictures. Your set-up is very close to what I have visualized in my head. Nice to see a photo of it!

I had hoped others would chime in with their way of doing things. I don't know what one has to do around here to get a healthy dose of responses but whatever it is, I obviously aint doin' it! (shrug)

Thanks again Sin. I'm definitely going to work on the pvc pipe idea for my own growing situation.

Michelle

• pls8xx
    15 years ago

I like the clear 6 mil vinyl 54" wide on welded wire fencing. I leave the ends long to drape at the ends with a brick to hold it down. Can be tilted up from the side to get to the plants, or just set the cover off the bed. Lift the ends back over the top for venting on warm days. See link below for more detail.

Here is a link that might be useful: covers

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Eek, that pic isn't as flattering as I'd hoped. It really looked MUCH better after I re-worked it after the snow storm had passed. In my defense, I put it up alone in 15 miniutes during freezing rain in the dark before the snow started. You should see the make-shift covers for the other beds that evening, hehe. I think my radishes got an old window thrown over them, and my broccoli got a steak stuck into the ground and the clear tarp remnants draped over it like a tent! Whatever works if you're going to have a VERY late frost.

So let's help Michelle with other ways we cover our crops. I know there are other methods that work well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I wish I had some great advice to give, but I could of posted the same question really. I had my mind set that I was going to do the PVC hoops, but I'm considering using cattle panel for my trellises. It would be best to cover those and the entire beds that it's connected to with the plastic. Here's a picture (originally posted by Violet in another forum) that might give you an idea of what a small one might look like uncovered:

Of course, to cover my tomato, squash, and bean plants, it would be a much bigger hoop than in this pic.

Also, I think I'd opt to cover the plastic with thick old blankets for those really chilly nights as recommended by Mel in his book.

~Angela

• dirtdauberz5mo
    15 years ago

Sorry, don't have a pic, but what I did was head to my local $1 shop. I bought four hula hoops for $1 each, pulled the staple out where they were joined to make a circle, stuck them into the soft dirt by the side of my sfg bed, and covered with cheap plastic. I only did one bed, that's all I needed to experiment with last winter, and it worked. I used some cheap clamps as well to hold the plastic on, and weighted down the edges with rocks.
    This year, I plan on refining it a bit. But the hula hoops work well, are cheap, and are the right size to hoop over the bed, if you get the big ones.

• shellva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your time, ideas and pictures. I definitely have some thoughts to consider. I'd have never thought of hula hoops!

Thanks again. I will post what I come up with over the next month or so. We don't get cold here until December or January so I still have some time to think......and shop. Oh, that could be dangerous! CHARGE....

Michelle

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor