Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelady777

OT: 9/10 Granny's Breakroom

LOL! You did a whole lot, Granny. I think it'd be okay if you skip taking a couple days off to do housework. *wink, wink*

In the meantime, while some of are taking our breaks, I wanted to start a new room just for you guys/gals to keep Granny company while we're away. :-)

Plus, since we're only moments away from it turning into Sept. 11th's anniversary, I was also hoping we could all take a breather for a moment to remember our country, our soldiers, and all those that passed away or had loved ones pass away. :-(

~Angela

Comments (30)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Angela, you are nuts. I love you.

I agree, a time of silence to show our respect for the fallen, and all of the heroes that followed.

Granny

• laura729
    15 years ago

I made sure to look at some photos of where the pieces of metal are located across the country for memorials for 9/11. I shed a few tears and I'm happy to have done so, as it assures me that I haven't lost touch with the great loss we all suffered on that day seven years ago. I hope I never lose touch with that.

• carolynp
    15 years ago

We had a time of family prayer this morning. I agree with you Laura: let's not forget this tragedy.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

All of you with little ones at home, please visit my blog today to see one way to extend the gardening experience with them!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: The Everlasting Sunflower

• medontdo
    15 years ago

it was very sad!! can any of you remember where you were at the time you found out?
    it weird but i remember waking up for a moment, hubs came home from somewhere, and he said hon get up!!! look at the news, the towers have planes flown into them!! and they are etc, i thought it was just a dream so i thought nothing of it, it was all yucky out here in ks, so when i did get up i did turn on the news, it was so sad, i think i just cried inside for a long time. my spirit just was crushed!!! that's the only way i can explain it.
    now i feel so bad for them family's.
    tabor always prays for the soldiers over there when we says prayers at dinner.
    ~Medo

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Medo, I remember it like it was yesterday. I got up, turned on the coffee pot, then turned on the TV in the kitchen...it was showing the live photos, and I thought the US was under attack and that it was the beginning of a real war against us. I ran in and woke up Mr. H and we were just glued to the TV for the next week. I remember where I was when JFK was assassinated, too. It was the same kind of feeling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• medontdo
    15 years ago

WOW !!
    i did g to yur page!! yur granddaughter is so cute!! tabor just loves sunflowers of all colors!! he's collecting them!! i'm gonna make one bed "just for the birds!!" LOL ~Medo

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

So am I, Medo! I piled up the leftover compost in the corner, next to the fence, and it will be all sunflowers next year. We have squirrels running that fence all day, and they will love them. Birds, too! I was at the hardware store the other day, and they were selling out their seeds for 10-cents each. I got two packages of the prettiest looking sunflowers, "Vanilla Ice", and some "Buttercrunch" lettuce and a pkt. of curly parsley.

The quail have been eating my baby spinach.

Granny

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I guess I just can't stay away... I ain't got much done around here, either... LOL

Granny -

1. So, don't buy stuff on sale and not tell... WHICH hardware store was it? I'm gonna have to go raid the seed rack at my local one! LOL

2. Hmmm... I'm a bird-lover and everything... but you BEST stay away from my lettuce and/or any other plant in my garden...

3. Awesome blog entry... I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!

Medo - We also had a time of silence at the Lions' Club meeting tonight, of which I am president this year. I feel just like Granny describes about that morning.

As for the Lions' Club... well, this has added much more intense emotion to my already intense emotional week... I'm a total wreck here. It was brought to my attention that my mother, who is also a Lion (but wasn't introduced to Lionism by me and hasn't been a Lion for nearly as long as I have), was causing some problems at our recent fundraiser we had last weekend. Now, this is by far NOT the first time this has happened. A matter of fact, it's gone on for years. We've even lost numerous members because of her, and she clearly has no idea.

Well, I've been praying and praying, fretting and fretting over how to handle this. The members really want/need something done or they'll be driven to quit. I've tried talking to her and my sister has, too. She's just plain bossy, mean, overbearing, and likes to be on some kind of power kick or.... well, I don't know how to explain her... She totally means well, but is domineering and really doesn't see how badly she comes off. Many of our volunteers just don't want to be around the fundraisers because of how she "runs" them when she hasn't been appointed to run anything at all!

You can't treat volunteers and members (who are basicly stronger, paying volunteers) like that... they won't want to keep putting up with it. They don't HAVE to be there for heaven's sake! Anyways, I know that God was with me with every word that came out of my mouth leading that meeting tonight and all was received very well and the meeting came to a close... Weeeeeeeeell, after the meeting, my mom took one of the members aside, who is like the sweetest member in the whole club, and was harassing her about some of her decisions she was in charge of during the fundraiser, etc., etc., etc... uuuuuugggggggghhhh

Long story short, my mom starts SCREAMING at her right in the middle of the club in front of almost all the members, except just a handful that had already left when I closed the meeting. Holy cow... I busted out in tears and was like, MOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM, stop it.... Sarah doesn't deserve this.... then, I left balling my eyes out....

Anyways, sorry to lay this all on your guys, but it was really hurting inside and I had to get it out.... I wish I had a momma more like Granny.... ;-).... I think I'm gonna have to hold a vote to evict my own mom from the club soon or we may not have a club at all.... the sad part is I really want her out unless she can act differently. She ain't changed yet, so I doubt she ever will....

~Angela

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Laura you can't chose your parents. God gave you the ones you have, and you just have to learn to live with it. I know how hard it is for you, but you can do it, your faith keeps you strong. I'm always here to listen if you need me, as I'm sure our other gardening friends are. My motto has always been "If you don't like it, change it. If you can't change it, learn to deal with it". If others judge YOU by the actions of your mother, then you don't want or need them as friends. Quietly apologize to those she harasses and let it go, you've done your best.

Love you, girlfriend.

Now, maybe this will make you put a smile on your face. My daughter (Alicia's mother) is (or was, not sure if she still is) president of their Lions' Club. Here's a couple of photos of two of the grandchildren, Alicia and Kevin, at the Lions' Club Veterans' day parade:

{{gwi:1284297}}

{{gwi:1284298}}

Granny

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Sheesh, ANGELA, you are NOT LAURA!!! I don't know why on earth I typed Laura and didn't even notice it until I hit send. I love you too, Laura *g*

Granny

Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL!!!!!!!! Thanks, Granny... Yes, you surely did cheer me up... Wow, she's also a Lions' Club president? or was, anyways... Neat!

You wrote, "If others judge YOU by the actions of your mother, then you don't want or need them as friends." Oh, I couldn't agree with you more! One thing that did make me feel much better about it all is that almost every member (that was still there) came up to me outside of the club and said that it was no reflection on me and to not blame myself, etc., etc. I AM glad that they don't think I'm to blame for any of this... Whew, though... I'm GLAD I didn't introduce her to Lionism (as bad as that sounds)...

BUT, being president this year, I AM expected to lead the club in the best direction it needs to go. I honestly do think it's going to lose many members if we don't get rid of her.... I don't want any members to go, but I certainly don't want our best Lions leaving, as many already have, because of just one member that is trying to railroad the whole thing to her way of thinking.... Isn't that what dictators do?

~Angela

• laura729
    15 years ago

Well, since I was mentioned (even if erroneously but lovingly :), I'll pipe in!

Angela - goodness gracious! I suppose it would be severely damaging to your relationship with your mom to ask her to leave, right? I feel for ya, girl, and I too love ya.

Granny - love you, too, even if you get me an Angela mixed up. 'Cause we look SO much alike and all. (NOT! Except that we're both brunettes.) On another subject...I need to remind myself to visit your sunflower page. LOVE sunflowers and LOVE birds and I also had been planning on making a "just for the birds and other wild creatures" area in my yard if I can find the right spot. Woo hoo!

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I have an excuse for my error last night, girls. In fact, I think I can come up with several, if I try.

1. It was late and I was really, really tired from spreading cow poop.
    2. I had just read a post from Laura and my brain wouldn't change gears.
    3. I'm getting senile.

Take yer choice!

(((((Angela & Laura)))))

Granny

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i think maybe you should talk to your mom and tell her yet again that hey if if you don't act normal, then they will more than likely start to lose people, then more than likely people will vote you out. so either act right or get out.
    but only in great words!! ummmm as ya'll know i'm terrible at words!! i mean awefull!! it takes me forever to get to the right thing!! LOL that's what i'd do if it was me. but my mom would get the hint. she can be domineering and very overpowering. but she is kinda unsure of herself but masks it with being outgoing acting. me i'm an introvert. (in real life, LOL) but i do love to talk to people if i find the right ones!! LOL ummmmm angela ya know i'm here!! lay it all on me!! **big grinn** ~Medo

Original Author
    15 years ago

Laura - Awwwww... (((hugs)))... I love you, too! We're just soooo mushy in here lately... hee hee... I like it, though! :-) As for my relationship not being compromised... Well, she knows I'm at a point in my life where I'm not going to put up with her any more... I'm not 12 any longer, you know... 35 years old and clean tired of dealing with it... ugggh.... It may be an either she goes or I go scenario... I'll figure it out soon enough and study the Lions' bylaws and go from there...

Granny - ROFL!!!! I think it's number 2 with maybe a little bit of number 1 sprinkled in... at least that's what I thought when I read what you wrote last night... hee hee (((hugs)))... now a big (((group hug)))!!!!!

Medo - Awwwww! You've been such a big support to me and just soooo sweet to lend an ear lately... :-) (((hugs)))... I would think that your suggestion to just about anyone else on earth would work, but with my mom, it just isn't... You have NO idea how many times we've talked about this....... ugggh... she came by today even and I can tell she knows what I'm thinking because she didn't say a WORD about anything that happened last night or with the club at all... not a WORD! Now, that is not at all like her.... Wow... Anyways... time will tell what will happen... only one person said that we need her as a member... only ONE... uggggh...

Anyways... any new topics anyone wants to discuss?... LOL! (I know I started this, but boy, am I done thinking about it for at least a day... LOL)

~Angela

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I'm going to a Fiery Foods Festival tomorrow! I'm going to eat too much (hot and greasy, just what I need after being so sick last Sunday!) I'm hoping I can buy some hot pepper jelly, 'cause I really don't want to have to look for my canning supplies this year. Have you guys ever eaten that? Darn, it's delicious on a Ritz or a butter cracker with or without a bit of cream cheese!

Daughter went to the Dr. this morning and he asked how long she's been having contractions. She said she hadn't, he said she was having one right then. I may be going to AZ earlier than I'd planned. I talked to my neighbor, and she said they'd take care of my garden if I had to leave it, and she'd even can my tomatoes for me if there were enough to fool with.

I picked 7 pounds of food today, not counting the chives I'm going out to cut for dinner. I had a 12 oz. cucumber that I have soaking up vinegar, oil, sugar and a bit of water. I got an entire pound of cherry tomatoes, and Annie "helped" me as only a good puppy could...I'd drop them into the bowl, and she'd take them out one-by-one and put them on the grass. Only three beets that were large enough, so I pulled them for myself. The 2 1/2 pounds of tomatoes and the 1 1/2 pounds of crookneck will be sent over for Pat's dinner, but I'll keep the 3/4 lb. zucchini for us. A bag, 3/4 pound, of green beans is really only half mine, they are from mine and Pat's shared rows along the fence line. My pride and joy, and I almost missed it, was a 1/2 pound gorgeous red bell pepper. Pork fajitas for dinner tomorrow night :-)

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Well. I'm back. I'm so glad this week is finally over. It's been hectic at work, and I spent yesterday afternoon getting certified for the 4H program. Yay!
    Anyway....I got the planter/bench finished, and my wife will stain it Sunday. Hopefully, I can get the potting mix and pansies put in them on Monday. Then....the picture!!!!!
    So....I see there's been alot of hugging and stuff going on in here, while I've been gone. Blech! I updated my blog this evening, and have pictures. Woo Hoo!

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: EG's blog

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

(((((EG))))) HUGS! HUGS! HUGS! HUGS! HUGS! HUGS!

We all LOVE EG. Let's give EG lots of HUGS!

{{gwi:1284291}}

{{gwi:1284291}}

{{gwi:1284299}}

OOPS, strike that last one ;-)

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Oh god....Must....find.....bathroom....I'm gonna chunder...

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

LOL now that's good make a "grown" man go and i use that word very loosly!! **huge LOL** LOL **big grinn**
    ya them girls over there angela, sometimes ya gotta stick to your guns and just don't back down, i learned that my first 6 months in gw. if ya wanta do something, do it, heck, (did you know, that your 30something and a big girl and don't have to have approval!! LOL) and have fun at it while your at it!! ohhh ya, and while your at it, ummm i'm not supposed to say this as a christian, so don't mind me, but it don't hurt to just push the envelope, LOL get it, envelope!! **raising the eyebrows up and down onrilly** Hee Hee i know, i'm just too onry!! but one thing i love about sue is she's way too cool and she knows alot of stuff, i bet her hard drive is HUGE!!!!! she is the RBB for resident busy body, LOL she helped me get back on gw when they booted me off because my cookies was fulled all up!! yep i'm talking like a.....what was that??3rd grader?? i'm tired, thank goodness tomarow i only have to get up early to take my meds. LOL and tomarow later my neice is getting married. WOW ummmm i hate weddings!! the only one i liked going to was my brothers in oregon, she made sure to make us part of the wedding, it was really really nice, even though she didn't meet us and even know us!! she's one of those innocent ones!! totally niave!! i just love her to pieces!!

ok enough blabbering, kick the kid's buns and get to sleep, yep that's what i have to do, they are onery little turkeys!!
    congrats granny!! WOOO HOO!!

• jeni3004
    15 years ago

*knock knock*

Hello? Anyone remember me?

LOL.

I miss everyone!!!! When I do get a free minute here and there to run out to my garden and find some food to eat I think of each of you.

School started and I've been busy studying. And also since my high needs stepson is back in school all day too I've been bleach/deep cleaning my house! Gosh do I love a clean, and I mean CLEAN, house! It was a wreck all summer.

As far as my stepson, they have found him a home! It is through the agency we were hoping, it is a "treatment foster home" meaning that the parents have special training and he will go through the program through the lady who did his assessment and whom we adore! They also have no other kids in the home! They are new though and aren't licensed just yet so it is going to be at least a few more weeks before he goes.

As for gardening. The cucumber beetles returned. I started getting some fuzzy leaves and some nasty looking cucs on a couple plants. Since its getting COLD out here and there wasn't much left of the 2 bad plants after I cut all of their infected off I just pulled the plants. I do still have a good 6-8 plants out there though that are producing well and don't look completely over taken by the damn things (some on the opposite end of the garden and some in a totally different bed.) I'm sure those lil @$&*%#$@ will find there way over to them now but meh, its all good. Too near the end of cuc season to toxify my garden with some dusting.

Tomatoes are starting to show up more and more. I canned a couple jars a few days ago and have another dozen or so tomatoes sitting in a basket on my counter waiting for me to can them too!

What else??

Hmmmmmmmm.

I don't know. Its late. Visited my parents tonight and picked up the last book "Breaking Dawn" of the Twilight series (EVERYONE. MUST. READ.) from my mom (from my SIL) and am going to go crawl in bed here in a minute and read (a whole 3 pages) until my eyes won't stay open any longer.

Night all!!!

• garden4god
    15 years ago

ohhh i'm so glad the lady found him a home jeni!! we've been busy with schooling here, and teaching tabor how to trade in seeds, its kinda cool, he wants to take after his mommy in something!! talla wants to be a princess model, ohhh heck i think she just wants to be a model. she's always telling me, mommy what are them things under your eyes?? then she'll tell me ohh ya, you didn't sleep well, then she will say mom, and she's always telling me something, as if i'm gonna get any prettier. LOL geez LOL
    she may just grow up to be one of them beautifying people, she does care deeply about skin care. hmmmmm i wonder where she got that from??? definately NOT me!! i'm very bad about skin care, my idea is to wash my face when i shower and then put olive oil on it. LOL ummmmm yes. i am the wrong gender. LOL
    i got an email from the kids school, they've been in only one month, can you believe it. it feels like 2 months, hubs says you've been slacking, **slap, slap a few times** ok so we dont' really get started till 10:30 am and we are supposed to start at 9. they are supposed to be in bed at 9 and the don't get to bed til 11 or so. i absolutely HATE scheduals!! they suck!! majorly!! i am a grown up child, i'll be the very first one to admit that!! so i hate that my hubs makes "us" go to bed early and be on a schedual. errrrrr!!! this is where i say "men suck" LOL no offense to any guys here. i'm just blabbering!! LOL

i've never heard of the twilight series, what's it about? the only series i've ever read is the left behind series. i read that whole entire series!! when i got the book i couldn't put it down until i read every single page. i'm soooo bad about that!! hubs says once i pick up a book i like nothing exists, the house could burn down and i'd burn with it. i'd never know. mmmmm.....i don't think i'm that bad!! LOL
    my eye's are about to shut but i wanta to talk to someone til i fall asleep and these bugs keep crawling on me, theyr' not real, i think they're dust bunnies, but someone told me they are allergies, and the doc said they arent real. another doc said its dry skin. so k12 gave tabor a microscope, so i am forever curios. so where i feel like these invisible bugs are biting me i "picked" them off and put them on a "slab" and tried to see what they were, it looks like dry skin to me, hubs says it was moving, well i need glasses, tabor said it was moving, errrrr!!!! i don't know now, but when i put olive oil on, i never have the problem. so maybe i can use the magnifier and that??? think?? i wanta see that dang thing moving, of course they do like to freak me out, or as tabor and i say, the gross out factor. once i told him we were gonna have slugs for dinner. LOL and proceeded to go out side to "collect" some slugs, then once i told them after we had chicken that what we really had was slugs, man!! that was good!! you shoulda seen the looks on their faces!! especially hubs, i thought he was gonna toss on the way to killing me!! Hee Hee who'da believe chicken for slugs??? crazy family of mine. LOL ok i think i'll let ya'll go for now, the kids are done cutting up my nylons i don't wear and putting them on their heads, LOL at least they have an imagination!! LOL to bad it has to be all thugish!! LOL ~Medo

Original Author
    15 years ago

The Fiery Foods Festival sounds fantastic and like a lot of fun! I've never eaten Hot Pepper Jelly, nope... What on earth would ya put that stuff on? Oh, a cracker... hmmm... I guess I'm game, but wouldn't make up a whole bunch myself until I knew it would go over with others in the household well, too... LOL

OH MY... I don't want you to leave to AZ early, Granny, but I wouldn't miss that for nothing.... awwww... It's awesome that your neighbor is willing to help so much while you're gone!

And, 7 pounds of food is AWESOME! I can't wait 'til I'm getting even half that a couple times a week! WooooHooooooooo! And fajitas for dinner sounds yummy! I don't like bell pepper (although my husband does), so what I do is I grill up some lengthwise sliced zucchini strips and onions... YUMMY! You can't have 'em zuuchini on long, but they are sooo good when you do it right. mmmmmmmmmm

Welcome back, EG! (((Hugs))) *smacks him on the cheek real quick and runs off* hahahaha... gotcha! bleh on you, too! LOL

Granny - That's hilarious! I wrote the above paragraph to EG without looking at what you did to him! hahahaha ROFL!!! You're TOO funny!

~Angela

Original Author
    15 years ago

Medo -

1. You said, "(did you know, that your 30something and a big girl and don't have to have approval!! LOL)" OH MY HEAVENS! Somehow that makes a lot of sense to me! hee hee.... I guess you'll see how grown up I am when you see my reply publicly. I think I was quite nice, don't you? ;-)... I know I was compared to how they had me feeling like acting... hahaha... I don't think I'm quite "pushing the envelope" yet... well, unless it's a bubble envelope that is! hahahahaha

2. Congrats on your niece getting married. I haven't been to too many weddings and most all of them I loved. One that I knew was doomed, I wasn't too happy about going to and didn't.... LOL

Jenn!!!!!!!!!!!! -

1. (((Hugs))) and more (((Hugs))), and a big smooch on the cheek for you, too! hee hee

2. Hallelujah! I am sooo happy for you and for him that they have done so well placing him... Oh, what a relief that must be...

3. Have your tried some kind of row covers? I'm reading up on all that... it may not be fun and easy, but gosh, it sure seems worth it to save them plants!

4. I am still looking for my SFG book... I'm starting to panick!!!!!!!!!!!! As for me, I'm about 2 pages before I fall to sleep myself... LOL... maybe 3...

~Angela

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Angela, you MUST try hot pepper jelly! It's made with red or green bell peppers, but it doesn't taste like them at all. It has jalapenos and apple juice and vinegar and sugar and pectin. Sounds awful, tastes awesome. Another thing I grew fond of is jalapeno peanut brittle! Hot and sweet (and green)! The only place I've ever seen it is in Yuma, AZ. I'll take pictures of the festival tomorrow, and blog about it. Maybe with a recipe for my fajita mix, which tastes much better than that packaged stuff, and lots less sodium. Don'tcha just love to mess with EG's head? LOL!

Jeni3004, it's about time you got back here! Of course we remember you! Good news about finding a home for the stepson. LOL, you should see what I did to one of my zucchini plants when I couldn't stand looking at the mildewy leaves...I cut off all but three big leaves, which were up rather high on the denuded stalk, so it looked rather like a scarecrow, with a head and two arms, standing in my garden. I didn't think much about it until my neighbor went into a fit of laughter, and told me it was definitely a male. My sense of decency made me cut off that zucchini that was ...uh, shall we say "in a strategic place"?

Medo, Sophia Loren said the only thing she uses is olive oil for gorgeous skin. She bathes in it! Now, if I could look like her, I'd buy me an olive oil factory!!!

Granny

• medontdo
    15 years ago

LOL uhhh i have no idea who she is, but i imagine she's young looking!! LOL i love the way it feels on my skin!! :')
    i do love the sound of the jelly mix!! i so want a recipe for it!! MMMMM that sounds good!! LOL
    ~Medo

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Medo, you don't know who Sophia Loren is? She's even older than I, but she's gorgeous. She has made many, many movies and won many, many awards for them...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophia_Loren

I'll put a recipe for the jelly in my blog tomorrow, along with the fajita mix.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Medo, I have the hot pepper jelly recipe up on today's blog.

Pictures of some of the Festival booths, too.

Granny

• medontdo
    15 years ago

thank you!! now i have to try that sometime!! HUGS!!! ~Medo

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner