Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kentucky Wonder... bush or pole?

Posted by angelady 7 - TX (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 1, 08 at 2:43

Okay, feeling silly once again with such a dumb question. I planted 9 (I think) per square foot of Kentucky Wonder beans. Now I'm wondering if they are bush beans instead of pole. I see them listed as both on different horticulture websites. I guess they're normally bush types, right? But, they can come in pole variety?

Anyways, how do you know which kind that you have? I kind of expected (not sure why) that they would be one long vine that wrapped around a bamboo pole or something that I used as a small trellis-like thing for them to grow up. The plants that I have seem to be growing several more than just one vine straight up. Does that mean that they are bush, not pole beans?... Okay, I know this question is probably stupid, but I truly have no idea what I'm doing yet... LOL... any help is appreciated....

BTW, if these continue to grow like this, I think 9 per square foot is WAY too many... YIKES...

~Angela

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kentucky Wonder... bush or pole?

Kentucky Wonder comes in both bush and pole varieties. Do you still have your seed packet? It will say right on the front which kind they are. Bush beans will get probably 12-18 inches high and not have long tendrils that grow up and around the pole. If you are seeing these tendrils growing out of the plant, you have pole beans. I have both of them planted in my garden (both Kentucky Wonder) and I'm concerned I will have a problem picking mine (bush) that are so closely spaced. They will be awfully hard to find in all that growth. Next year I am going back to planting them in double row the width of the box, spacing seeds 4" apart and rows 4" apart. Right now I have 12 solid squares, and it's a jungle in there!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o

I have the same with blue lake. The nice thing about them is that the bush produce until the pole beans start. Continual harvest is nice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

o

That's an interesting thought, Sinfonian. I will consider doing that in the future. I've heard that bush types taste better than pole, so I will be able to taste them and be sure if I agree.

Granny, thanks so much for all the info. It seemed silly to check the packet, but there it was. It says they're pole. The other green beans I got from Wal-Greens didn't say if they were bush or pole, so we will see on them as they grow.

These pole beans sure aren't one long vine as I thought they would be. They don't have tendrils yet, so I guess I will update this thread as they get bigger and let you know my newest thoughts. It's odd that they don't since the green peas I planted at the same time have lots of tendrils. hmmmmm

~Angela

o

I was going to take a photo to show you the difference, and my camera batteries are dead :-(

Soon as I get some batteries, I'll do that.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here