Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wonderpets_gw

To plant (for fall) or not?

wonderpets
15 years ago

I'm torn.

It's mid-September and I want to plant. Knowing that we have first frost around mid-October. Knowing that I've barely had time to keep up the maintenance on the summer stuff that is still growing. Knowing that the temps are still in the high 80's so cool-weather crops will have to be babied. Knowing that I won't be able to do much in a couple of months because of a high(er) risk pregnancy.

The garden this year has been my little peaceful retreat, when I can get to it. And I don't want to give that up. :(

Questions:

If you were waffling about fall planting, how did you make your final decision?

If I don't plant anything now, can I keep busy playing in the compost and such to get me by?

If I just had to plant something, any recommendations?

G

Comments (10)

• crystabel
    15 years ago

I would do it because I'd never know until I tried. What do you lose if it is something you enjoy doing? A few seeds. Frost may come late, your garden might thrive. I'd probably research the best plants, but I'd also probably try my favorites just because! :)
    Have you thought about putting together a small hydroponic indoor garden? I'm playing with a hydro floating SFG, trying to see what I can grow. I'm thinking of trying a normal hydro garden too. And maybe an aquaponic garden.
    Maybe google winter gardens for your area and see what comes up :)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

wonderpets,

It's mid-September and I want to plant. Knowing that we have first frost around mid to late October. Knowing that the temps are still in the low 80s and expected to reach the low 90s next week, so cool-weather crops will have to be babied.

The garden this year has been my little peaceful retreat, and I don't want to give that up. :( But I have to leave my garden in another month.

I'm going to provide shade for the spinach and greens for the next couple of weeks. I'm going to make some cross-posts for my new (soon to be) raspberry bed. I'm going to build a birdhouse and paint it all pretty for the top of one of those posts. I'm going to buy myself some flowers for the bright blue pot I set in the garden, maybe a lavender plant and some pansies. I'm going to work on making my garden area more attractive. And I'm going to spend way too much time on the computer, making plans for next year's garden.

I will restrain myself from planting yet more veggies that don't have time to mature!

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

At the very least, I would plant some turnips - for the greens. Just take a handful of seed and scatter it. Maybe someone will pick it for you when it's ready to harvest. There's not much upkeep for it, and you'll be able to admire the growth. Other than that, maybe you could spend time planning for next year? Good luck on your upcoming bundle of joy!

EG

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I agree with Crystabel entirely on this one... What could it hurt to go ahead and try... worst case is you wastest a little seed and had some fun in the process, although maybe disappointing if you don't get much, if anything, from the work.

I personally like experiments. You could learn a whole lot in regards that to that and maybe even try to see what simple sheltering ideas you can come up with to extend the season and see how they fare, if you're up to it.

~Angela

• wonderpets
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I also left out the bane of my existence on that list of obstacles -- Mosquitos! Apparently, they see a pregnant woman as an all-you-can-eat buffet. In 5 minutes, I can rack up 12 bites if I go out unprotected. Hopefully, that will end soon.

After some soul searching and playing in the dirt over the weekend, I decided to plant. I started some bibb lettuce, brocolli, french radishes, spinach, and another lettuce variety. This morning, I have radishes breaking ground and, wonder of all wonders, a brocolli shoot.

Later this week, the radishes will be tenderly moved from the egg carton to the actual garden. And I'll probably plant some carrots on the other end. I basically have 2 weeks to do all the lifting and fetching, so I'll do another compost harvest and see what happens.

We've had a turn for cooler weather -- it actually feels like a bit of fall out there.

Thanks for the encouragement. Especially for reminding me that 15 seeds out of one packet isn't so big an investment that I'll regret playing around.

G

• Yoshimi Dragon
    15 years ago

The skeeters are *terrible* around here too. I'm glad you planted -- it's so much fun to see the wee things poking up. But... what time of day do you plant? Our mosquitos are worst in the evening (or on rainy days), and I've had the best luck avoiding mosquitos in the morning, just late enough for everything to dry off from dew but early enough that it's not too hot.

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

wonderpets, Congrats on the pregnancy! I understand about high risk from personal experience, so I know it's frustrating. However, I'd plant some things if only to have something green and growing to take a look at regularly.

Maybe you could have someone build you a small cheater box on a raised platform to grow some things, then you could sit down to tend your garden for a few months?

I don't care how "good" you are at following doctor's orders, you will want some fresh air and something to take your mind off of being housebound. Even a two square raised bed can produce some veggies, besides, think how healthy it is to eat fresh stuff. :)

I'm looking forward to pictures of your newest "crop". ;)

• reba_nc
    15 years ago

I know how you feel. We are 5 weeks away from the birth of number three, which is when the fall crops I started this summer will be ready to harvest! My broccoli, carrots, lettuce, spinach, arugula, bok choi, beets and mache should be ready; with the celery, leeks, peas and celeriac shortly following. Hubby and I are old hands at this baby thing now though, so it shouldn't be too difficult. The first baby is the hardest. I'll never forget the first time we tried to give our oldest a bath. All three of us were in tears!

• reba_nc
    15 years ago

Got on the baby subject and forgot to suggest growing some quick, easy greens in pots close to the door. Low maintenance, high satisfaction.

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I think Crystabel was right, too. I might suggest you toss some pole beans and peas in there, because if it gets to be too much and they go wild, they will also add nutrients to your boxes (and I think they're really beautiful, to boot). Another thought is that you can peruse online seed places. I know I have literally spent hours tossing things into shopping carts I couldn't afford to purchase, lol. My favorite places to peruse are tomatofest.com and heirloomseeds.com, but there are literally hundreds of places. I just found out a major distributor is within a hundred miles of my house, so I suspect I'll be doing a bunch more of this soon.
    Grats on the new miracle!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting